ramp check

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never been ramp checked. But based on what I hear it is not something I look forward to! And it makes me wonder and curious really. Why is it such a negative experience. Are they out to get us?

About six years ago I was checked by local airport security on a Thanksgiving morning at KGPT before flying to KAWM.  Asked to see license and registration, didn't ask for any other papers.  Made the comment that not many people were flying on Thanksgiving morning.  I responded that it looked like I'd have the full attention of the controllers, should have a safer flight.  After that, she (security) just smiled and said have a nice flight.  I did.

I was checked by Fed's quite a few times while flying part 121 (airlines).  Most times the Feds were looking to just check you pilot cert. and medical.  On occasion they would ride the jump seat for the leg. 

I even had a Maintenance Inspector stroll up for a ride while me and the captain were trying to figure out a maintenance question.  The fed walked in to the cockpit, saw all the reference books open and went looking for us.  (we were both out looking at a gouge in a tire)  He asked what our intent was (we called for a replacement) and then sat and gave us a maintainer's point of view and actually taught us a bit.  No stress if you're doing the right things.

I have had a negative experience down in Baton Rouge,LA but I chalked that up to a personality defect issue and smiled, realized I'd not see this knuckle head again and it became a bar story.

Most Fed's are just doing a job.

I had my E open on the ramp doing an oil change when an FAA Inspector walked up.  He was polite but it was clear that he hoped he had a "live one".  Luckily I had my Mooney Service Manual close on hand and a lycoming engine manual and I knew my maintainence rights.  I think if I had not had instructions, or something that looked like instructions, on hand I would have been in trouble.  I did not have the aircraft logs on hand and probably would not have produced them on the spot even if I had.  In the end he just asked that I fax him a copy of my log entry when complete.  I asked my IA to help me make it in proper form (and learned in the process).  I faxed off the entry and heard nothing more.  The interaction was professional and polite.

I was ramp checked on my first solo flight as a student pilot.  FAA guy walked up to the plane as I was getting ready to fuel it and said, "Hi, I'm here to help you."  He looked at my medical and logbook, I showed him the a/w cert in the plane, and that was all he seemed to want to see.

I got ramp checked and they just did a walk around inspection of the plane, asked for my license, medical, registration, and airworthiness certificate. They also wanted to see my compass correction card for some reason and asked when my annual was. They took some notes and left. They were very nice but I having never been ramp checked before was taken back a bit and admittedly did not cooperate fully at first.

I was ramp checked once, it was a friendly and courteous despite my inability to product the required documents at first request.

But comments like "I am here to help you" indicate a motivation to find something wrong.

Ramp checks are mandatory for ATC and most of them just want to get it out of the way, but some feel they have a responsibility to find problems.

your opinions may differ (from mine)

Twice, once in 2000 at KBJC and again in 2006 at KFTW.  

AT BJC the FAA guy walked up after I had landed from TX and asked to see my registration.  I had recently re-registered the A/C and he said it raised an alarm in their system when I filed an IFR flight plan.  I had had my pink copy and that was the end of the conversation.  Very pleasant even apologetic guy ....maybe because I had my family in the 231.

I detected a RPM fluctuation(dirty spark plug after an annual) on takeoff from KDTO and decided to make a precautionary landing at Ft Worth Meecham.  FAA guys were waiting for me as I taxied to the mechanic.  Asked for AROW, License, and medical.  I had a photocopy of my medical and they asked me to Fax them the original (did not understand the difference but did not argue).  Guys were pleasant but seemed they were trying to fill their quota of monthly ramp checks ;)