Looking for Shop for Windshield Replacement on My Rocket

My newly repurchased 231 Rocket is down for engine work right now but I'm trying to arrange a shop to replace my windshield once I'm flying again.  Although I do a lot of my own work (under supervision and inspection of both an A&P, a former IA & DO for a fleet of caravans, and his son, an IA), looking at the job I don't think any of us want to do it.  I DID conduct a search in the archives but after 30 minutes with no luck, I thought I would just ask.  Even my local FBO, whom I am good friends with, said he isn't interested in the job.  Take it to someone that's done them before.

Any suggestions of shops within a tank of gas from the U.P. of Michigan would be appreciated. 

Thanks,

Tom

On 5/6/2022 at 8:03 AM, Yooper Rocketman said:

before.

Any suggestions of shops within a tank of gas from the U.P. of Michigan would be appreciated. 

Oasis Aero is Wilmer MN, Mooney service center with a good reputation. 

• Like 2

On 5/7/2022 at 4:26 PM, WrightFlyer said:

Might be stretching your tank of gas but Byron @jetdriven at RPM Aviation at GAI has done a bunch of windshields.  He's doing mine later this month.  

That's just over 3 hours for my Rocket (which has 5 hours of fuel).  I'm not sure about the different color rings around that area.  I suspect that requires some kind of preapproval or training to fly into that area?  We don't see that kind of stuff over here in the Upper Midwest. :D

Tom

8 minutes ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

That's just over 3 hours for my Rocket (which has 5 hours of fuel).  I'm not sure about the different color rings around that area.  I suspect that requires some kind of preapproval or training to fly into that area?  We don't see that kind of stuff over here in the Upper Midwest. :D

Tom

There is an online course you have to take for any SFRA operations.  Make sure that you file IFR into and out of KGAI, even if it is Severe Clear - it makes entering and leaving the SFRA much easier.

The only difference between flying here or anywhere else is that you need to take the online course that takes about a half hour. And you need to establish to a radio communication and be told to “proceed on course” before entering the SFRA area. That and keep the squawk code assigned until after landing. Basically, never squawk 1200. Or you can just do IFR and treat it like any other day.

• Like 3

With the assistance of my AI I changed my windshield…it took a week to do it right….there is a lot to it requiring removal of a good bit of interior panels, digging out all…I mean all of the old sealant.  Best tool to did was a 1/4” wood chisel.  Included in the process was re-installing the apron, oversized rivets (cherry max flush) some body finishing putty and repainting apron.

my conclusion…honestly I would rather change my engine than do another windshield.

12 hours ago, GeeBee said:

Fly into the SFRA all the time, no big deal.

I never said it was a big deal.  Just wondered if it required something other than just filing IFR and flying into it.  I found out it does.  I need to take an on line class.

Tom

2 hours ago, larrynimmo said:

With the assistance of my AI I changed my windshield…it took a week to do it right….there is a lot to it requiring removal of a good bit of interior panels, digging out all…I mean all of the old sealant.  Best tool to did was a 1/4” wood chisel.  Included in the process was re-installing the apron, oversized rivets (cherry max flush) some body finishing putty and repainting apron.

my conclusion…honestly I would rather change my engine than do another windshield.

That's exactly why I am seeking a shop.  Right now Virginia is looking promising.  I've always liked pictures of @jetdriven 's work.

Tom

• Like 1

Well, after crunching “known numbers” I decided to take all expenses (shop rate, expected hours to replace, gas, airline tickets, hotel, lost time from my dealership) of using a quality shop in Virginia (the one in Minnesota NEVER returned my call from last week) and compare that to my actual cost of taking on this UGLY PROJECT, my decision was pretty clear.  I also talked with my  hangar neighbor, an A&P/IA that I helped get started with his own shop, and was assured he would help me and my A&P through this project.  The price swing for this job will be at least $4k.  I guess my time is worth some frustration and $4k.  :wacko:

Tom

• Like 1

Tom,

I got to speak with Byron on different topics a few times….

His depth of knowledge of Mooney construction is real….

His step by step pics of fixing his team’s 201 are amazing…. (His team is three co-owners)

His depth of knowledge of Mooney flying is real…

We got to fly my Ovation down to MD for a fly-in during my learning how to fly again days…. And finishing up the break-in flights for its new 310hp engine….

Byron has been known to fly some of Boeing’s finest aircraft…

Surprised again…. Sitting with Byron in and out of a brand new Mooney Ovation Ultra….. at KOSH years ago… there are many small details that occur where the composite body is integrated to the aluminum hull… I could barely see them as he pointed out each one….  With pluses  and minuses that went with each decision… we also navigated through multiple pages of G1000 instrument panel stuff while we’re in there…

Another time, I met with Byron and Becca was when Alan was dissecting an M20E…. If there was a Mooney part that they haven’t seen before… that day took care of any mysteries….

PP thoughts about people I met around MS, then in real life….  :)

Best regards,

-a-

On 5/10/2022 at 9:40 AM, Yooper Rocketman said:

Tom

Ha!  My home airport is in the SFRA and the procedures are relatively benign especially when filing IFR.  I'm so used to it that now it feels weird leaving another airport VFR without getting a discrete code.  

Good luck with the windshield, I'll let you know how mine goes.  

18 hours ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

Well, after crunching “known numbers” I decided to take all expenses (shop rate, expected hours to replace, gas, airline tickets, hotel, lost time from my dealership) of using a quality shop in Virginia (the one in Minnesota NEVER returned my call from last week) and compare that to my actual cost of taking on this UGLY PROJECT, my decision was pretty clear.  I also talked with my  hangar neighbor, an A&P/IA that I helped get started with his own shop, and was assured he would help me and my A&P through this project.  The price swing for this job will be at least $4k.  I guess my time is worth some frustration and $4k.  :wacko:

Tom

I know you can definitely do it right.  I think you’ll be in the middle of it and gladly have traded the time for the $4k, but obviously that’s a personal decision.  Good luck with it!

I took a close look on Thursday and found my windshield must be original, 41 years old.  It has the standard "all aluminum" rivets.  That part of the job should go a lot easier! Reviewing the Service Manual the job looks pretty straight forward.  I will track my hours so I have an idea what it took.  I don't have a "Frustration Meter" to measure that aspect of the job (probably a good thing). 

A new windshield and co-pilot door window were ordered yesterday from GLA, right here in Michigan.  I may be able to pick up my new glass if I get a med flight going that way once the order is ready in 4-5 weeks.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Tom

• Like 2

On 5/6/2022 at 10:03 AM, Yooper Rocketman said:

My newly repurchased 231 Rocket is down for engine work right now but I'm trying to arrange a shop to replace my windshield once I'm flying again.  Although I do a lot of my own work (under supervision and inspection of both an A&P, a former IA & DO for a fleet of caravans, and his son, an IA), looking at the job I don't think any of us want to do it.  I DID conduct a search in the archives but after 30 minutes with no luck, I thought I would just ask.  Even my local FBO, whom I am good friends with, said he isn't interested in the job.  Take it to someone that's done them before.

Thanks,

Tom

Mike Vince and his shop who did my paint job also did all my windows when he did my paint - at middlebury vt.  6b0,

just about a tank of gas.

3 hours ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

I took a close look on Thursday and found my windshield must be original, 41 years old.  It has the standard "all aluminum" rivets.  That part of the job should go a lot easier! Reviewing the Service Manual the job looks pretty straight forward.  I will track my hours so I have an idea what it took.  I don't have a "Frustration Meter" to measure that aspect of the job (probably a good thing). 

A new windshield and co-pilot door window were ordered yesterday from GLA, right here in Michigan.  I may be able to pick up my new glass if I get a med flight going that way once the order is ready in 4-5 weeks.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Tom

Since you built a Lancair IV-P Turboprop I think your Frustration Meter won't even register on this job.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1