My oil filter drain solution thingy

Works just as advertised. Costs under $10, easy to make and not a drop spilled. My design only works on vintage Mooneys with the original cowl rods. With some deviation on design, it could perhaps work on other Mooneys. If anybody is interested, I can post dimensions.

post-1249-13468140758342_thumb.jpg

post-1249-13468140758527_thumb.jpg

post-1249-13468140758866_thumb.jpg

post-1249-13468140759048_thumb.jpg

post-1249-13468140759225_thumb.jpg

post-1249-13468140759386_thumb.jpg

post-1249-13468140759556_thumb.jpg

There is an easier way to replace your filter without spilling even a drop on your plane. Take a big green heavy duty 3 mil garbage bag, 35, 40 gal for example. Unfold it and gently work it into the space below the filter. It doesn't look like there is enough room but there is. Once you have it in the space below the filter, gently take the edges of the bag and bring them back up over the filter. Make sure the edges of the bag circumvent the filter. Now loosen the filter with your wrench and unscrew by hand until the filter drops into the bag. Take a clean rag and clean the oil from around the adapter. Now gently work the filter back out of the engine space. Bingo. Oil and filter removed with no oil dripping onto the engine or firewall.  

Dave--

We have the same idea, but your execution is certainly more elegant. All I can say in my own defense is that my system came with the plane from the previous owner. But it works! I use an automotive drip pan to catch the runoff, just a cup or two. Then screw the filter off and remove carefully, as its usually about half full., and stand the filter in the pan upside to drain while I finish everything else.

post-54-13468140760521_thumb.jpg

post-54-13468140761037_thumb.jpg

My solution is even easier. While the oil is draining out of the pan. Punch a small hole in the top of the filter near the back. Use a rubber tipped blow gun and blow compressed air into the hole in the filter for a couple of min to blow all the oil out of the filter. Then you can then just remove the filter without spilling any oil.

For anybody that wants to build a replica of my oil gadget, here are the ingredients-

1-1/2" schedule 40 PVC pipe cut to 34" long.

1-1/2" Pipe hanger.

1-1/2" pipe cap.

Vise Grips or spring clamp

Cut the pipe in half longitudinally 21" back.

Stick the hanger on the pipe, thread the pipe up under the oil filter, then adjust the hanger to the right angle and then tighten it.

Clamp the hanger tang to your cowl strut and your ready for draining fun!

Put the cap on when your sick of waiting for the last drop to come out.

Nope, my C is 30 psi all the way around. See the page from the book below.

Just another benefit of the shorter, lighter airframe supporting a lighter engine.Surprised

My oil drain thingy is sheet metal stock, about a yard long, 2-3" wide [it wasn't cut straight on either edge], bent into a shallow trough shape. Roofing drip edge from the local hardware store works well, too, when cut to length.

post-54-13468140766253_thumb.jpg