AOG Difficulties with 0401.37 G1000 Software- SOLVED

LANCECASPER

If it ain't broke . . . 

I wish those words would have come to mind when I decided to upgrade N102TN to G1000 Software 0401.37 (I had a perfectly working airplane with 0401.34).

I e-mailed Mooney (support@mooney.com), since I'm only 15 miles from the factory to see if they would do the update. I received an e-mail response that it was being forwarded to someone, but was never contacted, which I understand since they are running with a skeleton crew. Since I had a trip coming up I decided to check with the two closest Mooney Service Centers, it turns out that neither of them do software updates, but one offered to order the update for me and I could get it installed by someone familiar with Garmin G1000 updates. The update was shipped to me and I had a G1000 guru who worked at a major avionics shop that I asked to do it for me. First impression when i saw the card was that it seemed strange that Mooney wouldn't use a recommended SD card (Garmin recommends only SanDisk or Toshiba cards). Long story short (I know, we're already past that point), the update kept hanging up on the GTX345R transponder software and would never get past that. This left me with no transponder (obviously no trip) and no autopilot. 

image.thumb.png.042c3cfe7b42aa0c476b61aeb7192d79.png

Mike Kneese at Mooney was kind enough to let me bring it in Monday for them to look at. He tried re-loading the software from the card they sent and still the same thing. He has tried with another card with 0401.37 software on it - still the same thing. 

Is there anyone who has experienced these issues? What worked to resolve it? Anything that we are missing?

@Mooney217RN@Pmaxwell@Schllc@Danb @PaulM @Geoff @mike_elliott @Lee A.

Feel free to respond on here or contact me offline (lancecasper  at me dot com) 

• Sad 1

Possibly related question . . . since the GTX 345R transponder in this airplane has the usb port installed in the back of the airplane, would the GTX software have to be installed through this port?  Any other owners with GTX 345 installs that have this port in the avionics bay?

1307962032_ScreenShot2021-12-15at1_06_18PM.thumb.png.34281c5c58e9b1f2476f6bd1441d9bc3.png

FullSizeRender.heic

Ok, a number of things.. #1.. the previous version is 0401.34.. and there were a bunch of things that if you didn't do them correctly would brick the GMU.

I suggest that the last  M20_305B be done first. If nothing else follow the GMU procedure in that SB.   Done wrong the hardware needs to be RMA'd to garmin. 

Also that rev needed 4GB SANdisk cards for the NAV data, terrain, etc.   The .37 update needs the ultra high res terrain database, so that will be a call to garmin to change your account to download that.  (you will remember selecting the ARC-seconds every year when you renew your subscription) 

As you suspect the GTX 345R updates are done directly via USB to the transponder.  (so is the configuration).  This needs the Garmin GTX management software package. 

There is also usually a magic manifest to update the G1000 system to accept the latest GTX345R software that garmin techs can access directly.   My shop did that last transponder check.  

I have also scheduled the 0401.37 update (perhaps next week)..  

So have the tech review the software rev required in the 0401.37 manifest.   Update the GTX345R manually to that revision.  Then install the software and it should "skip" the 345R update. 

Once that is done the Garmin tech can look for the latest GTD345R version and install that with the matching latest manifest.   

If you are an early STEC55X then there is the serial#'s for pre-rewire config and post-rewire.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PaulM said:

Ok, a number of things.. #1.. the previous version is 0401.34.. and there were a bunch of things that if you didn't do them correctly would brick the GMU.

I suggest that the last  M20_305B be done first. If nothing else follow the GMU procedure in that SB.   Done wrong the hardware needs to be RMA'd to garmin. 

Also that rev needed 4GB SANdisk cards for the NAV data, terrain, etc.   The .37 update needs the ultra high res terrain database, so that will be a call to garmin to change your account to download that.  (you will remember selecting the ARC-seconds every year when you renew your subscription) 

As you suspect the GTX 345R updates are done directly via USB to the transponder.  (so is the configuration).  This needs the Garmin GTX management software package. 

There is also usually a magic manifest to update the G1000 system to accept the latest GTX345R software that garmin techs can access directly.   My shop did that last transponder check.  

I have also scheduled the 0401.37 update (perhaps next week)..  

So have the tech review the software rev required in the 0401.37 manifest.   Update the GTX345R manually to that revision.  Then install the software and it should "skip" the 345R update. 

Once that is done the Garmin tech can look for the latest GTD345R version and install that with the matching latest manifest.   

If you are an early STEC55X then there is the serial#'s for pre-rewire config and post-rewire.  

That makes sense if the GTX345R is unchecked as it’s going through the updates and if the guy can update the GTX345R after with the laptop, before starting back up, that might work.

37 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

That makes sense if the GTX345R is unchecked as it’s going through the updates and if the guy can update the GTX345R after with the laptop, before starting back up, that might work.

Why not update the GTX345R first... then when the G1000 update runs it sees V 2.54(example)  and doesn't feel a need to do anything.   If it fails they can always down-rev it again to the version your .32 likes.  or just pull the breaker?  then it won't be ID'd for update. 

I think the G1000 will just refuse to talk to a version of GTX345R that isn't in its manifest. 

I'm pretty sure the default software is only expecting a GTX33 so it fails. 

Edited by PaulM
update
  • Like 1

I have an additonal question: I am thinking to upgrade to a GTX 33ES in my Acclaim with G1000 . My software version is 401.34. Would the G1000 accept the GTX 33ES in my system or what is needed to get ADSB-out? I am aware that addditonal wires need to be installled from the GIA63W to the GTX 33ES to provide GPS position information.

5 minutes ago, peterl said:

I have an additonal question: I am thinking to upgrade to a GTX 33ES in my Acclaim with G1000 . My software version is 401.34. Would the G1000 accept the GTX 33ES in my system or what is needed to get ADSB-out? I am aware that addditonal wires need to be installled from the GIA63W to the GTX 33ES to provide GPS position information.

To answer your question, yes it looks like the 33ES would give you ads-b out - more details here: (https://www.mooney.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/SBM20-321.pdf)

Although it's more money than just upgrading your GTX33 to a GTX 33ES, the GTX345 provides ads-b in/out. The software you have (.34) would allow ads-b traffic to be shown and my motivation for .37 software was that it would also show ads-b nexrad. 

@LANCECASPER - I'm going to write this in caps, simply because I know you have a wonderful airplane, and I care about how it's maintained...so here goes:

STOP THE BLEEDING AND GIVE BRIAN KENDRICK A CALL RIGHT NOW!!!!

Yes...he's busy, but he will fit you in.  I only wish I was in your position geographically to where I could make a quick flight down there whenever I need something.  So...because I care...do yourself a favor and get down to him at your earliest convenience.  He knows exactly how to resolve this.

Steve

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, StevenL757 said:

@LANCECASPER - I'm going to write this in caps, simply because I know you have a wonderful airplane, and I care about how it's maintained...so here goes:

STOP THE BLEEDING AND GIVE BRIAN KENDRICK A CALL RIGHT NOW!!!!

Yes...he's busy, but he will fit you in.  I only wish I was in your position geographically to where I could make a quick flight down there whenever I need something.  So...because I care...do yourself a favor and get down to him at your earliest convenience.  He knows exactly how to resolve this.

Steve

I had an appt with Brian a week ago which he had to cancel due to other commitments. He was my first choice. If the G1000 expert that Mooney is bringing in tonight can't get it resolved then I will camp on Brian's doorstep and bring gift offerings. Flying it without the transponder is not my first choice though. Brian is the right guy tho

• Like 2

This is a common problem when putting the 345 transponder in. The 345 has to be updated first via a laptop to a version that is compatible with the G1000. The non-WAAS G1000 is even more problematic, it has to use a GDL90 software patch to work with the 345.

It's also common to lose features if the tech did not make note of all the original configuration options and settings. All optional equipment, including the autopilot, has to be reloaded after the main system software is updated. It's also common for the load to stop part way, and then you have to start over. 

Edited by philiplane
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/16/2021 at 11:03 AM, peterl said:

Thank you Lancecasper. I am flying mainly in Europe so ads-b-in traffic is of limited value. The upgrade is mainly done to stay legal for the few flights from EUrope to the US and back...

You may want to think about the GTX33D /ES   Canada is going to require top and bottom ADSB since they are using the aireon satellite system for their ADSB ATC requirements, that will probably affect the Canada Greenland route.   

I would have put in a GTX345RD if we had known it was going that way.    And ASDB-in is useful anywhere that has ES transponders.. the ground re-transmitters are mostly only needed for UAT/ES mixed environments (US only)  and the FIS-B weather service.  

Well . . . Mooney International to the rescue! I picked up the airplane this afternoon and they had everything updated and working and even bled my brakes and got them feeling much better.

They stayed til late last night and got it right. Mike Kneese deserves a lot of thanks and praise - he is fantastic to work with. I hope for his sake and the rest of the crew there that they can stay busy enough with parts and service to keep things going. They went above and beyond!!

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Mcstealth said:

Was it the master cylinder?

I had the seals changed in the master cylinder a few weeks ago and that helped a little after they bled it following the seal replacement, but I still think it was just air trapped in the lines. It's good the seals got changed anyway. They can be stubborn to bleed and every Mooney mechanic seems to have their own method. 

• Like 1

• LANCECASPER changed the title to AOG Difficulties with 0401.37 G1000 Software- SOLVED