Flying the Grand Canyon VFR Corridors

wmrunyon

Hello Captains,

I recently had the opportunity to fly to Scottsdale for a meeting and had an extra day blessed w/ the ‘kitchen pass’. I have always wanted to fly the VFR Corridors over the GC, and this was my perfect opportunity. There are 4  corridors that are  basically aligned North South that allow General Aviation traffic to transverse the Canyon for sightseeing. These corridors allow you to get lower than the Arizona Sectional altitude restrictions over the Park, but at the same time, stay out of the way of the tour operators. The corridors have specific frequencies to announce your position and specific VFR altitudes while in the corridor.

After doing some research, talking to several local pilots and especially studying the Grand Canyon Sectional (which is complex and intimidating!), i came up with a game plan. I made a spreadsheet with all the required waypoints to hit the corridors, transition points or airports. Most of the waypoints are in the Garmin box and some i had to enter the Lat/Long.

I flew to Grand Canyon National park Airport (KGCN) and spent the night. The next morning, i departed at dawn to avoid the heat and avoid the air tour traffic. It was a cool and beautiful morning with incredible visuals of the Canyon.

There are several airports of note in or around the Canyon. Marble Canyon (L41) is at the base of the eastern part of the Canyon and suitable for landing (barely) and the approach is a 4000 foot descending spiral w/i 3miles of the airport to enter the pattern. Page Airport (KPGA) is next to the Glen Canyon Damn and Lake Powell.  Despite the lake being extremely low, it is still a marvelous site and enjoyed flying fairly low around Powell’s eastern end. The GC Bar Ten (1Z1) is in a beautiful side canyon off the northern rim and makes a fun approach. I had plans of landing, but after looking at the runway, i opted to protect my gear and prop. GC West (1G1) is another big Air Tour ops airport and quite busy, but worthy of an approach, if not a visit. Then it was off to Lake Mead and flying over the Hoover Damn, absolutely spectacular sites.

We all know that is one big beautiful ditch, but up close and in your own plane is a great way to see this National Treasure. The way i did it, it took a bit over three hours, but i intentional flew slow with several detours and circle backs and a couple of stops. It is a worthwhile trip that i’d encourage you to consider if you are in the region.

Fly Safe,

Bill

post-303-13468137363766_thumb.jpg

Great report!

Two Mooney flights I've always wanted to make are the Canyon and Alaska. I've done the Hudson corridor several times before 9/11 and it was spectacular. After the accident yesterday, may be no more.

Jim...ask your dad if he was a lead on a T-38 two ship (probably not), because I was #2 in an earlier life, and catching the walls of the Canyon in my peripheral vision was awe inspiring.