No Fuel Pressure and Grinding Noise from the Boost Pump

Hi all! The aircraft is a 1975 M20F with an IO-390 engine. Tried to start the engine today as usual - Mixture Idle, Master On, Boost Pump On: Zero fuel pressure. The fuel pressure needle didn't move at all. The pump made a slightly different sound than usual, a little grinding noise, sounded like you'd run the pump on an empty tank.

I tried to cycle it a few times, playing with the mixture, switching fuel tanks, etc., but nothing on the fuel pressure. Couldn't see any fuel drips or leaks.

However, when cranking the starter I did get some fuel pressure from the engine-driven pump and the engine did start after a few seconds. This makes me think the fuel system is fine, just the boost pump is shot.

I believe it's the original Duke fuel pump, I couldn't find any record of it ever being replaced.

Before I order a Weldon pump... any other ideas?

There is plenty to read about electric boost pumps...

one had a limit to using it continuously... everybody has the honor of forgetting the boost pump being on...

one was terrible compared to the other...

One got a filter mounted after the pump...

So when the pump grenaded, the filter would catch the parts...

Sounds like you got a pump to pull out... and see that all the vanes are accounted for...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-