My Air Show Experience

Sven

Today was our local Wings Over Wine Country Air Show at KSTS. I've never been able to make it to a VMG or a Mooney Ambassador event but it hasn't been from a lack of trying. I belong to the Pacific Coast Air Museum who are the folks who run the air show. I signed up to show my fixed-gear M20D at the show and brought it over last night. Being inexperienced we ended up toward the back of the show. This morning when I arrived I was boxed in (surrounded) by 4 Stearman. I thought, "Great, who's going to stop to see a Mooney in the middle of all these amazing radials?" As it turned out, it was probably the best place to be.

Before the show started I had several people wanting to know "what the deal was" with my plane and why it was so rare. At several points my little Mooney M20D story drew small crowds. Folks were actually interested in this stuff. I even let several kids hop in the plane, put headsets on them, and I let them turn the yoke. They loved it. Then I started asking any adult who looked at my signs if they wanted to cross the yellow tape and hop in the plane. 

One older gent was associated with a Stearman parked next to me. The Stearman was flown by George Bush Sr. and the ace Bud Anderson. This guy asked if he, too, could sit in my plane. I bet he was in there for 20 minutes. It turns out he used to own a C model. He seemed to "pretend" to fly it again, reaching for the Johnson bar that wasn't there. That really confused him until I told him it was a fixed gear. I spent the next half hour talking to him about the plane. Then he offered me a seat in the Stearman. I returned the favor and sat in it for almost 30 minutes. Once again I was convinced that pilots are the nicest people you could ever meet. Bud Anderson was his fishing buddy and was at the air show. Amazing.

By the end of the day I must have let 75+ people sit in the plane. I took two quick breaks and ate one really good $5 corn dog. My 75 SPF sunscreen saved me from total disaster. I had no idea this bird would be so popular especially given the dozens of open cockpit warbirds on the field. I think it was because this was a real airplane that real people could fly.

One couple I talked with was thinking about talking flying lessons locally and purchasing their first plane. A Mooney was never in the cards until they sat in mine. Even with a very tired interior, steam gauges and old paint, they were enamored. They loved the old red and white "retro" paint job. I told them it wasn't retro and it was original. They were smitten.

I didn't see much of the airshow or the other amazing planes on the field. But I had a fantastic time sharing my passion. Although I don't go as fast as the rest of you and my plane is not at it's best and a Garmin 196 is the fanciest thing I have, no one seemed to care. A man with a very fancy twin Beech was two planes over and not one person sat in his plane or even talked with him more than 2 minutes. It wasn't what I had expected. 

My schedule always seems to conflict with VMG and/or Mooney Ambassador events and I know some of you might even wonder if this plane really exists. I'd love to make it something someday and will try my best. If you're in the same boat, do something on your own locally no matter how small you think it is. You won't regret it and you may be reponsible for some kid getting the aviation bug and being a Mooney pilot someday.

post-418-13468140519163_thumb.jpg

Scott.  It matters not whether what you did is with numerous airplanes or with one airplane.  Whether it is with a Mooney or a Cessna or any other type of aircraft.  This can be done with any aircraft.

What does matter is what you did!  You used your aircraft to promote general aviation, convince some perhaps to fly a Mooney but most of all, you helped inspire the love of flight to both adults and kids.

We call it Mooney Ambassadors because it simply gives us Mooney specific flyers and opportunity to fly our planes somewhere, talk to people about the Mooney and most of all...............talk up aviation and indeed inspire others, and share the love we have of flight.  We call it "share the passion".  It's a triple win thing for all concerned.

You WERE a true Mooney Ambassador today.  Thank you.

Scott, I might suggest you send this little write up of yours to Trey Hughes at MAPA.  It would make a great article with photos.  You did a good thing today.  Our presentation series for 2012 is : Inspire the Love of Flight, Ensure Future Pilots.  You sure did that today. Kudos on a job well done.  Come see us at Lake Taco next weekend!

What a great story!  I too am suprised by the attention you while being surrounded by "much cooler" planes.  I guess perhaps it felt much more accessable to the folks. That's really interesting. I'm going to remember that next time I have the opportunity to be an Ambassidor and think about dismissing it becasue I think "My plane is not so special. Who'd care about this?"

Thanks for shareing!

Great write up!  Me thinks your personality and open invitation (eye contact, smile, willingness and open enthusiasm for your Mooney) was the key.  Pretty cool sitting in a Stearman and swapping stories with friends of the great ace Bud Anderson!  THAT is the beauty of GA.  A friend and I flew from Cedar Rapids, IA to Lake of the Ozarks, MO (A terrible drive in a car due to no roads going direct) and course pro picked us up and gave us a site-seeing tour and history.  After a beautiful round of golf we were wheels down at 1800.  We are fortunate to fly our Mooney's.Laughing  I would probably need SPF 100.  Well done.