Anyone Bueller Anyone

Candy man

The stated "preview" time is a 3-hour window. That's almost enough time to pull out the rear seat and interior panels to check for spar/cage corrosion, but probably not enough time to put it back together again.

I wonder what the reserve price is.

Wow, a split windshield E! With original guppy mouth, too. Registration expired in 2015, so not flown for at least two years. Judging by the dust layer, it's been longer than that. Plan to redo the engine . . . Speaking of which, how did this E get an O-360-A1D engjne? That's what's in my C! No idea how they figure TBO is 2400 hours, either.

Are you an A&P? Are you working on your A&P and need to log some hours? This would be a good project. But it's certainly not a "buy and fly" plane. Bid $100 and see what happens . . . .

I see that the "case number" ends with "ICE". Maybe the new owner will find $100,000 in bundles inside of the rear seat or its "street equivalent"...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you want to fly or do you want to work on a plane.   Looks like estate in 2007 So not flying for awhile.  Then not flying for some more because it was not flying.  And then 2017 happened.

Maybe 10-15 AMU in parts.

3 hours ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

To continue with the 80s movie quotes. You've got to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky?  Well, do you, punk? :)

Close, it was 1971 in Dirty Harry.

Someone signed off an annual in 7/2014, meaning it was "In annual" until 7/31/2015, so it's only been out of annual 1 year and 7 months. Might be worth taking a look at if it goes cheap enough.

Other References and History for Registration: N3494X

Date
Event
Year
Model Listed
TTAF
Price
Serial
Phone/Contact
FAA data, or seller data, can be erroneous / omitted. N-numbers may have been used on previous aircraft. Restrict to year: 0.
1. 2017-03-10 2 Days Listed on tappix 0 M20E 4515 Call   CWS Marketing Group
855-463-3183
2. 2017-03-08 Listed on tappix 0 M20E 4515 Call   CWS Marketing Group
855-463-3183
3. 2015-06-19 FAA Last Action 1966 MOONEY M20E N/A Not Listed 1162 SALE REPORTED
AL 365426323
4. 2007-07-18 214 Days Listed on tappix 1966 Mooney M20E 4134 Call    
5. 2006-12-16 Listed on tappix 1966 Mooney M20E 4134 Call    
6. 0000-00- FAA Cert. Issue 1966 MOONEY M20E N/A Not Listed 1162 SALE REPORTED
AL 365426323

Without doing a PPI on it...  how much can you afford to gamble?

look up costs of tank reseal, engine OH, and spar corrosion...

The panel shows nothing modern.

The engine didn't get a monitor that I can see.

It is not showing signs of being loved.

It is showing signs of being unused. A killer for cams and instruments...

Are you into rebuilding planes?

This one has a good chance of being a long expensive project if it is worthy of that goal.

A corroded spar can make it an instant parts plane.  Corrosion is not common or garaunteed.  But if it happens to your one plane How will you handle it?

Some planes are better for other customers.

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

OP is in Ohio...

Plane is in Lower Alabama(?)  (Alexandria, LA)

More of buying a lottery ticket at a distant 7-11, than a local 7-11

If you can't see it first hand, and you don't know the owner, and your friends don't call you Grimmy,  Mr. Reaper, or Alan... your documents don't include anything marked A&P, and your tool box doesn't have a trailer hitch...

What else do you have to go on?

Plan A: get lucky, get it annualed into airworthy condition, get some transition training, fly home...

Plan B: what is the plan B, when Plan A goes south..?

Some background... I bought my first plane that sat for two years.  Got a stuck valve on climb out during my transition training. That took some of the fun out of the low cost first plane...

If you don't have a plan B, you don't have to run... but, it could be better to just sit this one out.  There are a few like this one closer to home...

The car world has barn finds...

The aviation world doesn't have the equivalent of hangar finds, unfortunately...

Search For the latest thread of Somebody buying a plane that needed work.  The PPI didn't catch the tank sealant issues that became very apparent after the pilot took ownership.

PP thoughts only. Not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Grateful for the responses.

Let me ask the question a little differently.

If you can pick up the plane for a song like 10 amu ( and I have no idea if that's realistic) and you can guarantee one thing during the inspection time, and that's no corrosion. Is it worth it? I can afford a new engine on that purchase price. Am I In a good place with a good body and an overhauled engine with 0 time? 

Lawrence

35 minutes ago, thinwing said:

More questions...does it even run?Whats this bird worth in the best of circumstances?Can you fly it home?This should go no higher than what an airboat builder is willing to pay for a used lycoming ...

Since it's only a year and seven months out of annual I would guess it still runs. Might need a new battery and a little attention to the fuel system.

So how about this for some perspective.  A C I once owned that is well known on this site, 6XM, had a gear collapse on the runway. It therefore needed a prop, engine and some pretty basic repairs. It was rolling slowly when it collapsed, so not landing and skidding down the runway. It could have been bought from the insurance company for $12K. It had logs, an excellent modern panel, no corrosion, good paint and interior, and had never been out of annual. At $12K it wasn't worth repairing and so was sold for salvage.

This one on eBay isn't worth anything but scrap unfortunately.

Ten Grand for a 66 E that shows no hanger rash and has a low time engine?  Yes please.  Spend Twenty grand on the panel and 7 on the tanks and you have a $37 grand commitment.  Ten grand for optional "stuff" in engine...Not likely that it is toast in 1.5 years and you have a desirable plane for NOT much investment.  

Corrosion is a good possibility. I looked at a G model in southern Louisiana a few years ago. It hadn't been flown in five or six years and was tied down outside. It had so much corrosion that several of the inspection plates on the bottom of the gas tanks had corroded so bad at the fasteners that they were actually lying on the ground under the wing. This plane really enlightened me on the potential effects of corrosion n damp climates.

On 3/13/2017 at 0:27 AM, gsxrpilot said:

$10K bid on this plane would be equivalent to $10K spent at the local 7-11 on lottery tickets. You might get lucky.

Actually if he buys it and than discovers not economical to make airworthy he still has "purchased"the responsibility of removal from airport fbo and property...that's worse than an unlucky lottery ticket you walk away from

• Like 1