PIREP -Backup AI - Sandia SAI 340

Pretty happy with my new Sandia SAI 340. It is installed as a backup AI ( I guess you can use it as a primary too).

The cost was about $3000 installed. It took 4 hours just because it didn't fit right next to my HSI. The hole had to be filed out a little. 

Otherwise it should take probably 2 hours. 

Flew with it today for 3 hours and fine adjusted tilt, roll, speed, altitude and speed limitation indicators. Very easy to set up and operate. I like Auto Baro feature. It sets the altimeter setting itself based on the airport elevation. It is pretty close to reported setting. 

The display response is smooth and looks very close to the primary AI movement. Together with the speed and altitude indication it is very nice addition to the safety while flying often IMC.

Baterry should last about two hours. 

image.jpeg

On March 19, 2016 at 4:10 PM, MooneyBob said:

Together with the speed and altitude indication it is very nice addition to the safety while flying often IMC.

I agree about increasing the safety factor with the backup AI.  Probably one of the better additions to the panel.  Some people believe that it is not need and that it makes for a lazy scan but I find it really nice under high demand situations...especially with an attitude based AP.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bob - S50 said:

I like the idea of replacing the TC with the Sandia, but I notice the AI shows wings level but the Sandia does not.  Is it always like that?  Which one was right?  Is it just an adjustment that needs to be made?

Yes, I took the pic on the way back from avionics shop. We didn't set it properly as the storm was coming so I took off. Next day I flew for 3 hours and made adjustments. It is very easy to make any adjustments. Tilt, roll ( +, - 1 degree steps) , IAS, altitude, speed limitations, etc.