Walmart CEO in Cirrus crash

ryoder

Economics is a good way to look at it for sure and I think the idea of some kind of siren actually makes sense. On the other hand consider the story line,  I had a rough running engine "SO I PULLED THE BIG RED HANDLE" and soft crashed in some poor guys back yard and totaled my Cirrus. Or,  I had a rough running engine  was able to get diverted or had already picked out a close by airport went direct maintained best glide advised ATC of emergency made the field and a successful dead stick landing. Our Moonies already have parachutes there called wings and altitude.  Just sayin

2 hours ago, daver328 said:

....Does knowing you can always pop the chute make one a bolder pilot, willing to take more risks, more prone to getting boxed in a corner? 

Is this wonderful safety advancement actually leading to more incidents due to poor pilot judgement? 

Most of the evidence would suggest that the answer is YES, the chute doesn't incest one to always be prepared for stuff happening, since there's an easy out right above their head. A shame. 

2 hours ago, cnoe said:

...The only way you'll get a big fat insurance check in a Mooney is to CRASH it, which NOBODY wants to do.

In a Cirrus there's no incentive to do anything OTHER than pull the red handle. Red handle = free plane and an extremely high probability of survival...

I wonder how insurance costs compare between a Cirrus and the Mooney.

I have a 1 million smooth, at 120,000$ hull on my Mooney and the annual premium is exactly 1404$. 

3 hours ago, PTK said:

I wonder how insurance costs compare between a Cirrus and the Mooney.

I have a 1 million smooth, at 120,000$ hull on my Mooney and the annual premium is exactly 1404$. 

Last time I checked a Cirrus was double the insurance cost. But I did have a few hundred hours in a M20 and none in a Cirrus. 

10 hours ago, cnoe said:

As a Cirrus owner would you rather have:

A) An intact airframe sitting on the runway in need of a $60,000 engine replacement

or

B) A $200K-$700K insurance check in your hand

I pick B!

You can buy a REALLY nice Mooney for $200K-$700K!

• Like 2

What if you know the engine is toast you have the field made can you just forget the gear belly in and get the insurance to cover the tear down and repair cost. Not very honest and nothing I would do but as some were saying you do the right thing save the airplane and insurance pays nothing or pull the chute total it and get a big check. Weird how things work. According to the report he said he tried to make a dead stick but ran out of time at least he had the right idea.

1 hour ago, PMcClure said:

Another one today. Pulled chute due to high wing gusts. http://m.wxii12.com/news/wind-gusts-lift-parachute-flip-small-plane/36428850

Beechtalk has a (so far) four page thread on this: http://www.beechtalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=115089

We've landed at KGEV (Ashe County, NC) several times. It's in the mountains of northwestern NC (3178 ft), and the surrounding terrain is not hospitable for an off airport landing. We spoke with the airport manager, and learned that they were trying to make a no engine landing from 10,000 ft. Apparently, the wind gusts were in the 25-30 kt range from the west. (Last time we were there, we had 50 kts from the west at 6000 ft). They were circling the airport and deployed the parachute when they realized they weren't going to be able to land on the runway.

This was a much better outcome than trying to land off airport. If one is unfamiliar with the airport, it can be challenging to land with a fully functioning engine. No engine, strong winds, emergency situation, first time to that airport... The parachute did what it's designed to do.

30 minutes ago, Deb said:

Beechtalk has a (so far) four page thread on this: http://www.beechtalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=115089

We've landed at KGEV (Ashe County, NC) several times. It's in the mountains of northwestern NC (3178 ft), and the surrounding terrain is not hospitable for an off airport landing. We spoke with the airport manager, and learned that they were trying to make a no engine landing from 10,000 ft. Apparently, the wind gusts were in the 25-30 kt range from the west. (Last time we were there, we had 50 kts from the west at 6000 ft). They were circling the airport and deployed the parachute when they realized they weren't going to be able to land on the runway.

This was a much better outcome than trying to land off airport. If one is unfamiliar with the airport, it can be challenging to land with a fully functioning engine. No engine, strong winds, emergency situation, first time to that airport... The parachute did what it's designed to do.

With more information, it sounds like the best outcome. The earlier video made it seem like he pulled the chute since he couldn't land (wind). 

On November 14, 2015 at 7:46:30 PM, bonal said:

What if you know the engine is toast you have the field made can you just forget the gear belly in and get the insurance to cover the tear down and repair cost. Not very honest and nothing I would do but as some were saying you do the right thing save the airplane and insurance pays nothing or pull the chute total it and get a big check. Weird how things work. According to the report he said he tried to make a dead stick but ran out of time at least he had the right idea.

How many gear up landings over the last years were simply selling the plane to the insurance company?  It's a much simpler process, no pre buy, no brokers, and a smaller commission.

Clarence

14 hours ago, M20Doc said:

How many gear up landings over the last years were simply selling the plane to the insurance company?  It's a much simpler process, no pre buy, no brokers, and a smaller commission.

Clarence

This type of thing makes me sick.  I hate insurance fraud.  A guy geared up his twin at my airport and from what I heard it might have been for the insurance money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ryoder said:

This type of thing makes me sick.  I hate insurance fraud.  A guy geared up his twin at my airport and from what I heard it might have been for the insurance money.

I agree, and further more, what guarntees that someone might not get hurt doing this... Never have I done a gear up landing, but I guess it is not a 100% guarantee that everything goes according to plan, there must be a better way than doing this.