Taking my Mooney Cross Country

StinkBug

In Pittsburgh KPIT may be about the Light GA friendliest Class B I've encountered. VFR practice approach in sequence with the jets? No prob (see attached photo documentation from this week). AGC is the local satellite, fine FBOs and not ridiculous fuel pricing. FWQ is a bit out of the way but nicely lit well maintained runway and an on airport restaurant. Gas was 4.90 there this past weekend. have fun and stay safe. This sounds like quite an adventure.

BTW my first date with our NA mooney about 0 hours after competing my checkout was from Fresno to Boston. I took the southern route FWIW.

-B49c3564f535ba2728650e8bf8f5aacbe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Just west of El Paso TX is Dona Ana Co airport just over the state line in NM has a good FBO and crew car and a restaurant about a mile down the road that is good.

Winslow AZ has a great Mexican restaurant on the field

Payson AZ (PAN) has  a great restaurant on the field.

Kingman AZ has one also/

All of these are generally open for lunch but no dinner

Dona ANA restaurant is open 24 hrs but you have to arrange with the FBO for a car late arrival. There is also a new hotel right next to the restaurant. It looked real good for a quick nite stay when I was there last summer.

If you get north of Houston (@ 1 hr) Llano Co airport is great place to stop for fuel and food. Crew car to go to Cooper's BBQ in town (@ 3 miles). If you like BBQ its pretty damn good. Usually good fuel price also. 

Don't use Carrizozo NM for fuel. Nothing there. Dona ANA much better than El PAso Int'l for a stop. 

Not much between Dona ANA  and Winslow. Fuel expensive around ABQ. 

Winslow has a self fuel that is good price.

St Johns AZ probably has the best fuel price in 3 states but you need to use crew car to get food in town. 

Cool trip Can't wait for the travel log. 

5B6 Falmouth...nothing but tie downs and gas. KHYA, Hyannis not too far away if needed for service.

There is a long time Mooney person that lives there...

Best regards,

-a-

My grandparents live in Falmouth, which is why that's our first choice. Second would be MVY since the ferry will deliver us within walking distance of their house. Obviously if we need something other than fuel that will dictate final plans though. 

I've been to Dona Ana before, on my trip home from buying my Mooney. There's this Aviator with a Rocket based there. He's a bit of a character, but sure does show some hospitality :-p

The MVY TFR runs all the way til August 23rd, which covers the entire time we were planning to spend on the Cape. Looks like Falmouth would still work as a landing airport, but it scraps any plans of taking sightseeing flights during our time there, which is one of the things I really wanted to do. We're now looking at taking our entire schedule and flipping it backwards, which would get us in at the tail end of the TFR and allow a couple days of unrestricted airspace.

• Like 1

Stinky--

You can always call and cancel your reservations, being sure to mention the TFR when doing so. Then go somewhere else . . .

No, it won't be the same, but it will let you fly there and back. Maybe somewhere in Maine?

All is not lost. From the NOTAM:

"C. All flight operations not covered in Paragraph A. within the 10NM radius area must be security screened by TSA at a Gateway Airport prior to arriving or departing Martha's Vineyard Airport (KMVY). Aircraft operators must register with the TSA for Gateway screening no less than 24 hours prior to their scheduled departure time. Reservations for screening may be made daily beginning August 5TH at 0001 local by calling TSA at 617-561-8031.

D. Gateway Airports have been created at Westchester Co. Airport (KHPN), Barnstable Municipal Boardman/Poland Airport (KHYA) and Providence/Green State Airport (KPVD) by TSA to accommodate aircraft arriving into Martha's Vineyard Airport (KMVY).

E. TSA screening will be available daily 0600-1959 LOCAL,EFFECTIVE 1508081000 UTC (0600 LOCAL 08/08/15) to 1508232359 UTC (1959 LOCAL 08/23/15. Pilots, crew and passengers must provide valid Government-Issued photo identification to the TSA at the Gateway Airport and/or KMVY prior to departure. Gateway screening will include ID verification and vetting of all pilots, crew and passengers, screening of persons and baggage, and inspection of the aircraft.

F. On departure from a Gateway Airport aircraft must maintain radio contact with ATC and continuously squawk an ATC-Assigned discrete code. Intermediate stops while enroute are not authorized unless an emergency exists.

G. For operations within the airspace between the 10 nmr and 30 nmr area(s) listed above, known as the outer ring(s): All aircraft operating within the outer ring(s) listed above are limited to aircraft arriving or departing local airfields, and workload permitting, ATC may authorize transit operations. Aircraft may not loiter. All aircraft must be on an active IFR or VFR flight plan with a discrete code assigned by an air traffic control (ATC) facility. Aircraft must be squawking the discrete code prior to departure and at all times while in the TFR and must remain in two-way radio communications with ATC."

So you could land at MVY. We did this last year at 07FA (Ocean Reef, North Key Largo, FL). Everyone was very accommodating, and recognized what a huge inconvenience this was. They did everything to expedite the process. The Secret Service was particularly helpful. Note that you need to notify them 24 hrs in advance; the notification is important; it didn't seem to be the end of the world if you're a bit early or late in our experience. (Of course YMMV.) We can privide more details of our experience if you'd like.

Hope this helps get the trip back on track. You can sightsee in the 10-30 NM area; you just need flight following, a squawk code, and possibly a flight plan. It works best if you go to a destination ourside the TFR, land and then return.

Stinky--

You can always call and cancel your reservations, being sure to mention the TFR when doing so. Then go somewhere else . . .

No, it won't be the same, but it will let you fly there and back. Maybe somewhere in Maine?

I'm a little confused about what you're suggesting here? Cancel what reservations? Fly where and back? Maine?

TFR says you must be on a flight plan, squawking and talking. Airport manager said he thought some people were able to file a flight plan with a couple points where they would not land, and then return to base, but it would depend on ATC if you could do it or not. Thing is, 2 of the things that I would wanna fly over are Martha's Vineyard and my grandparents house, both of which are inside the inner ring. I really have no interest in landing at MVY while all this is going on, and had only planned to use it as an alternate in case there was poor weather on arrival. Now we'll just use HYA for that instead.

If you have time when you are up at the Cape go to Nantucket the oldest whaling port in the US.Cobble stone streets downtown a nice Island....Check for the temp/ dew spread can fog in often,,,, Also a closer Island Block Island smaller island be sure to visit the bluffs......

• Like 1

Just thought of something- If you are going near the Washington DC "TFR" have you done the study and on-line test required to be in or near the area? Can't even go near it without the test completed.

You need the SFRA/FRZ training if you are traveling within the 60 nm ring (you don't need to be in the SFRA).

3c524941ff127f3e49bd444f9bde9065.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Make sure you stay outside the 60nm ring when you head from New England to Florida, too. They take that thing seriously. If you take the online FAA course, be sure to  print the certificate at the end and put it in the plane.

Getting ready for the longest XC of my short flying career in a couple weeks. Should be close to 6000nm over roughly 2 weeks in my Mooney with one of my friends. We have a number of destinations picked out along the way, and a few things we'd like to see but still could use a little guidance or local knowledge on some of them. Here's the basic plan.Day1. Fly Carlsbad, CA (KCRQ) to Moab, UT (KCNY). I know the area well and have friends that live there.Day2. Fly KCNY to Chicago/DuPage (KDPA) Again, have family in Chicago, but will need to find a lunch/refueling stop somewhere in the middle. Omahaish?Day3. Chicago to Dayton Ohio to see the National Museum of the USAF. Since I'm assuming we cant just land at Wright-Patterson AFB I could use some intel on what the most convenient place to land would be. After the Museum we'll be flying to Pittsburgh, and could use suggestions on landing locations there as well.Day4. Pittsburgh to 5B6 (Falmouth, MA) Will be spending a few days with my family on Cape Cod. Day5. Cape Cod to Myrtle Beach. Will be doing some scenic flying along the way and will probably need a refuel somewhere enroute as this is right at the edge of my fuel range if we fly direct. Day 6. Myrtle Beach to Marathon Key. Again will probably need to refuel somewhere along the way. Day7. Marathon to New Orleans.Day8. New Orleans to Carlsbad NM. Will definitely need to refuel enroute.Day9. Carlsbad, NM to Carlsbad, CA. Home stretch, and I'm fairly familiar with options along the route. I've only included the flight days here, but we will be spending some time in a few locations. Chicago we'll be spending a day in the city, we'll be on Cape Cod for several days, and we're thinking of spending an extra day in Marathon and Carlsbad NM as well. Mainly though I'm hoping to get some suggestions on places to refuel (cheap and with good food hopefully) and in some of the busier areas which airports will be more convenient for getting to hotels or attractions. Thanks guys!

...and you have at least one oil change planned for...where? :-)

Actually he might be okay. 6000 NM at 140 knots (average) is only about 43 hours. Worst case he could just drop the oil and add more without even taking off the cowling. Walmart will take the old oil to recycle.

Regardless, a great adventure.

• Like 1

Actually he might be okay. 6000 NM at 140 knots (average) is only about 43 hours. Worst case he could just drop the oil and add more without even taking off the cowling. Walmart will take the old oil to recycle.

Regardless, a great adventure.

Exactly. Oil gets changed tomorrow, and again as soon as we get back.

You need the SFRA/FRZ training if you are traveling within the 60 nm ring (you don't need to be in the SFRA).3c524941ff127f3e49bd444f9bde9065.jpg

When I came back from Florida last January, I did cross inside that 60 miles zone oblivious to any requirement for training. I was on an IFR clearance though... and they did not ask me if I had the training. I did make sure I would not get in the SFRA though. Should't they put something on the maps telling people that this is required? This looks like eAPIS... serves no usefull purpose except gives jobs to some civil servants and make general people believe that the sky is secure because of that.

Yves

When I came back from Florida last January, I did cross inside that 60 miles zone oblivious to any requirement for training. I was on an IFR clearance though... and they did not ask me if I had the training. I did make sure I would not get in the SFRA though. Should't they put something on the maps telling people that this is required? This looks like eAPIS... serves no usefull purpose except gives jobs to some civil servants and make general people believe that the sky is secure because of that.

Yves

The 60 nm ring is not a favorite topic around here, especially with the flight schools since they need to make sure their students get the training even if they never enter the SFRA/FRZ on their cross countries or training.