Garmin 430 with GDL88 PIREP

I was reluctant to spend the $ for the GDL88 (c6 AMU) install but decided to pull the trigger and am glad I did.  I was worried the screen would be too small for weather and traffic but after two flights, the last having some weather it is WELL WORTH IT.

I'll try to post some pictures next time up as I did not bring a camera on the last flight but with the 88, the 430 has two additional screens. One for traffic and a separate one for weather. The other nice feature is the textual metars on one of the airport screens.  I was flying into Greensboro (GSO) and just flipped to the airport page and one or two more clicks and there was the latest METAR, easy to read. If your destination does not have one then you have to key in the identifier of the nearest airport but that is no big deal with CLYDE flying the ariplane.

SO.If you're reluctant to get ADS-B with your 430W, don't be. You will like what if gives you.  I did not OPT for the Bluetooth connection (Flightstream)  (another 1 AMU) but did have it wired in so I can get it installed if needed in 30 mins.

I'll get the pictures up here ASAP. but I am REALLY pleased I spent the $.

BILL

• Like 2

I would add the FS210 then you can display all ADSB data on your iPad, not to mention flight plan transfer. Bill, it's only 1 AMU

I would have to add the ipad !   I have an android EFB  but I don't use Garmin s/w so Flightstream is not a priority for me right now.

I'll try to get one in the next 2 days.  I really like the display even tho small. Easy to read.

BILL

I went to get pictures yesterday... Had Clyde flying the plane got some great traffic on the display, grabbed the camera and snapped the picture... THEN........CANNOT BE SAVED< NO MEMORY CARD..

Oh well, next time.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not as good as another guy who flew with me.  He could spot KNATS on the propellor. Lucky you can zoom in to 1 mile and although I leave it usually at 2/6 mi, I'm aok when they get 1 mile away. 

"ADSB and the small, low def. screen really work!" is exactly how I feel.  I am so happy with my decision not to upgrade the display.

That's why I started this thread.

BIll

• Like 3

Thanks for the PIREP Bill. I'm really hoping that someone builds a box that will talk to all my panel mounted stuff. Be curious what the weather screen looks like when you actually have some weather showing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll post some weather pics when I can get some... I am really impressed in that little display.

Bill

I'll post some weather pics when I can get some... I am really impressed in that little display.

Bill

Thanks. The resolution on my GTN 650 is a little better than the 430s. So if you are happy with it, it should be fine on mine.

Flew to Key West today and encountered plenty of convective activity, so I snapped a picture of real weather on my 430W and GDL-88. I also snapped a picture of one of the cells that it was painting to give a good perspective of out the window versus on the screen.

Weather and traffic show up very well on the (relatively) small -430W screen, and I believe the combination is the 2nd most useful piece of electronics on my panel, second only to the JPI 930 engine monitor. From a safety standpoint, the GDL-88 provides excellent information and plenty of resolution to make sound decisions.

Safe flying folks!

Sam, CFI

'66 M20E "Matilda"

post-7801-0-66337900-1429841372_thumb.jppost-7801-0-01889000-1429841386_thumb.jppost-7801-0-03150500-1429841399_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Flew to Key West today and encountered plenty of convective activity, so I snapped a picture of real weather on my 430W and GDL-88. I also snapped a picture of one of the cells that it was painting to give a good perspective of out the window versus on the screen.

Weather and traffic show up very well on the (relatively) small -430W screen, and I believe the combination is the 2nd most useful piece of electronics on my panel, second only to the JPI 930 engine monitor. From a safety standpoint, the GDL-88 provides excellent information and plenty of resolution to make sound decisions.

Safe flying folks!

Sam, CFI

'66 M20E "Matilda"

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Thanks for sharing.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the GDL-88 feeds a Garmin Aera as well? I have satellite westerner on my Aera and the flightplan from my 430w feeds to the Aera. If the GDL can feed WX data as well to the Aera 560 as it is alread getting flightplan info from the interconnect to the 430w, that would be great.  It is not wireless so the Flightstream would not be a solution for this question.

Thanks for this PIREP on the 430w as I'm looking at options too.

-Seth

If you add Flightstream hardware to the install (c1AMU) you can put the data on any wireless device I'm told.  I had the wiring installed for Flightstream for $80 and if I ever want it, they can install it in 20 mins while I wait.

Bill

I have a gdl88 in my BE33, just wanted to mention for anyone planning an install that it does not play on Aspens, or at least that's what we were told last year when we did the avionics install.

It does play very nicely on the GTN 650/750 series, though...