Today's flight

bonal

Flew back for KORL today.  Most of the flight went well the last 30 minutes got a little tricky dodging some pretty intense buildups and precipitation and finally landing on a wet turf runway.  I was watching the rain inundate the filed 1.5 hours before my arrival.  Minimal turbulence and mostly VMC.

• Like 1

I took a friend up late yesterday for his first flight in a private aircraft. Perfect conditions prevailed with severe clear in evening sunlight and zero turbulence. We flew to a nearby airport in about 6 minutes and he was amazed because it takes about 30 minutes to drive. After some sightseeing to cap it off we did a turn around a point with his house as the focal point. He took plenty of pics on his iPhone and he LOVED the experience.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another trip to LVK, first post annual and Snoopy flew well. The Good year blimp was taking folks for rides and there was a green and white mooney getting ready to depart as we taxied to parking. Had a good cross wind on final to home. So glad to get him back in the sky.

post-11990-0-61357900-1433644385_thumb.j. Good year departure. post-11990-0-74827100-1433644572_thumb.j 5 mile final

post-11990-0-31546000-1433644639_thumb.j. Cross wind post-11990-0-14693400-1433644695_thumb.j component

Well the plan today was to fly down and crash I mean drop in the party at Paso Robles but we decided to fly up to a local fly in at Garberville. The weather was hot and that was my first trip there. It's a tricky field to get into until I picked up a BOnanza that was on base and it showed me the way.

post-11990-0-28927400-1434249452_thumb.j moments before the turn to final

post-11990-0-11233800-1434249532_thumb.j

post-11990-0-32310300-1434249581_thumb.j

post-11990-0-37560700-1434249665_thumb.j

post-11990-0-46898800-1434916130_thumb.j

• Like 1

Today was pretty dull. Cleaned plugs and retimed mags yesterday, then drained oil while warm. Went back today to finish the oil change, and took a buddy flying. We had a good time, flew over town, saw his house, where we each work, checked out interesting sights in the neighborhood. Forty five minutes of flightseeing good time! Even better since the engine ran great on the ground and better in the air. Fresh oil and newly timed mags are a great combination!

• Like 2

Well I passed my IR Checkride last saturday, and to unwind after all the weeks of training I flew a couple PilotsNPaws rescue flights this week. First one was with a cocker spaniel from my home base up to KCMA, then on Wednesday a friend and I flew up to KCNO to pick up a terrier mom and 5 puppies to bring them to a shelter in the Phoenix area. My buddy had just gotten his IR a few weeks before me so we filed IFR both ways so we could both get some practice in the system. Ended up having a blast, and had fantastic (if a bit hot) weather. Best part is the dogs gave us an excuse to fly that's far better than just going to get something to eat!

11168122_10207038476870514_3001959928802

1896897_10207051308831305_70943384847101

• Like 6

Did a lot of flying last week. Flew from Tennessee to New Hampshire last Monday and it was pretty uneventful other than flying over the Adirondacks, wow..they are huge even from the air, and not much around in the event of emergency landing . This is my longest trip to date.

I made the return trip home on Thursday to beat the upcoming storms that were heading to the New England area. The trip back was a little more of a challenge as I had to skirt the storms moving in. Picked up light rain, lower ceiling, but missed the major part of the storms, I already had a back-up plan to replace the direct route I initially started.

This was a lot of seat time and a great personal experience for me..Definitely put me out of my normal comfort zone. Great trip and good training experience.

Tried getting the Flightaware to post the flight..apparently I'm not copying the files correctly, Tail # is 7741M if anybody want to check the trip out or post it on here. The biggest thing I learned for a trip like this for me was plan, plan and plan again. The GPS showed roughly 1000 NM one way. That's about 2000 +/- NM in four days. That's lots of flying for me..  :)

post-9018-0-54241900-1435414526_thumb.gi

• Like 4

Did a lot of flying last week. Flew from Tennessee to New Hampshire last Monday and it was pretty uneventful other than flying over the Adirondacks, wow..they are huge even from the air, and not much around in the event of emergency landing . This is my longest trip to date.

I made the return trip home on Thursday to beat the upcoming storms that were heading to the New England area. The trip back was a little more of a challenge as I had to skirt the storms moving in. Picked up light rain, lower ceiling, but missed the major part of the storms, I already had a back-up plan to replace the direct route I initially started.

This was a lot of seat time and a great personal experience for me..Definitely put me out of my normal comfort zone. Great trip and good training experience.

Tried getting the Flightaware to post the flight..apparently I'm not copying the files correctly, Tail # is 7741M if anybody want to check the trip out or post it on here. The biggest thing I learned for a trip like this for me was plan, plan and plan again. The GPS showed roughly 1000 NM one way. That's about 2000 +/- NM in four days. That's lots of flying for me.. :)

Looked like a great flight and direct as well! Interesting how they had you loaded into FlightAware. Everything from a turbo to non description:

6e18c273cabb44174eb604d8a120fe67.jpg

9c0c78e78060a1bbc145426d7cdaa494.jpg

929e2598ca45327170671965fc0b783e.jpg

29159b616bd90d82993985c361ba1bef.jpg

5822207751dfd6404f1dd6e845ed9f24.jpg

9f8f4de409305d13b81b95bb44ba27f1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks for loading..Certainly not "Turbo" speeds..lol.       I have to admit I got caught off guard by one of the Lexington controllers. This is where I was a little rusty. One of the Lexington controllers asked me, "What equipment did I have?" Totally caught me off guard since I have never been asked that before. Remember I'm just three years back in the saddle since getting my PPL in the 80s. I think he enjoyed a chuckle out of the fact I did not what he was asking, my bad for not being up to speed on the question and he seemed to enjoy the fact he stumped me, but I can assure you I've gamed up and will know how to answer next time. I guess I would reply as a "Slant Uniform with GPS capability", or "Slant G". That was my only real hiccup on the trip. Portsmouth International was pretty impressive size wise. I was feeling pretty small as the ground control asked me to expedite down the taxi way. I look over and see a what I guess was a KC135 landing right on my back door. 

Thanks for loading..Certainly not "Turbo" speeds..lol.       I have to admit I got caught off guard by one of the Lexington controllers. This is where I was a little rusty. One of the Lexington controllers asked me, "What equipment did I have?" Totally caught me off guard since I have never been asked that before. Remember I'm just three years back in the saddle since getting my PPL in the 80s. I think he enjoyed a chuckle out of the fact I did not what he was asking, my bad for not being up to speed on the question and he seemed to enjoy the fact he stumped me, but I can assure you I've gamed up and will know how to answer next time. I guess I would reply as a "Slant Uniform with GPS capability", or "Slant G". That was my only real hiccup on the trip. Portsmouth International was pretty impressive size wise. I was feeling pretty small as the ground control asked me to expedite down the taxi way. I look over and see a what I guess was a KC135 landing right on my back door. 

I would have answer the controller "I've got BIG equipment"  :D  I think he or she was just trying to determine if they could have you go direct somewhere (even though it looked like the trip was VFR from the altitudes). Back in the 90s, I filed IFR with /A because that is all I had. Someone told me to put "VFR GPS Equipped" in the comments section. Lo and behold, I would get fly heading 320 proceed direct GEE. Only problem GEE was still over 150 miles away. Little did I know that in radar coverage, the vector and the side knowledge that I had a way to find GEE, they would clear me without enroute GPS capability.

Looks like you found some weather heading towards 27K.

• Like 2

Short hop today over to Santa Rosa there were a collection of jets on the ramp today belonging to the NASCAR boys that were running at Sears Point today. Returning made for a most difficult landing with steady cross winds at around 21 knots 90 degrees to the runway. By the time I made the numbers I was too fast and bounced it and was getting blown off to the side. I gave it the gas held it off and went around. Second attempt I had a much better approach and was able to do a decent landing sure would be nice if we had a working ATIS the sock can tell you direction but only approximate speed. Man I really had a handful making the turn to final. First thing when I got home was to look up wind speeds on the net. I think I found my personal limit. My wife has so much faith she never even flinched

• Like 3

I had several short hops today. We met Mooneymite and the Mrs. for lunch at Pine Mtn, taking their fine crew car into town to eat, then swung by an airport near my new job since it's only 3200' and I'm getting spoiled by all of the mile-long runways down here. Made the turnoff to the hangar quite easily. Leaving there, we flew out to the lake, and the engine was not sounding happy on climbout--that's when I noticed that CHT was just above the green. So I sped up to 115 or so, climb rate went down to 500 fpm, temps dropped and the engine smoothed out.

We found the house we're about to make an offer on, took a few pictures (it's barely visible for all of the trees) and came home. Each leg was ~0.6 by the yoke clock. Landed well, and made the midfield turn (~2500' from each end) with almost no braking. A nice way to spend Sunday afternoon with the wife. She said the last was the best landing of the three today.

But it was warm at 3000 msl, so we had ice cream to cool off.

• Like 2

So today we had a nice flight to LVK for forth of July with the family. Met a nice gent working on his green and white Mooney and he came over to say hi. His name was Roger did not get to visit long as our ride was waiting. Nice flight but lost some of the joy as I read the report of the Mooney lost at Salem OR.

Yesterday we flew to Memphis to take my grandson to the zoo.  Instead of the 2 1/2 hour drive it took 50 minutes.  We used Uber instead of taxis to get around and found out it was much cheaper than taxis.  After the zoo we went to Central for some fantastic BBQ and then to the new Bass Pro in the Pyramid.  We took off just before dark and enjoyed a nice sunset. 

This morning, I left at 7:00 am to take my grandson back home.  Flew to Branson, MO (Downtown airport) and was sitting in the Farmhouse Restaurant in downtown Branson for breakfast at 8:30 am (have a vehicle parked at PLK).  Did a little shopping, left Branson at 10:20 arrived SUZ at 11:15 and was back in my house before noon (after picking up lunch for my wife).  One way driving trip takes 3 1/2 hours. 

• Like 1

Today I flew a client who owns a 2014 Cirrus SR22T he commented on how much stuff there was to do on a run up, knobs and controls to move and check etc.

His next comment was that 400 HP sure got us going in a hurry, followed by 185kTAS at 2500' was way faster than his Cirrus.

My comment was that I still have a half million in the bank for fuel.

Clarence

Today we took a trip to Nut Tree for a hundred dollar burrito and tostada. On the way back to the plane came across this beauty. Nice flight home but really getting tired of no AWOS or ATIS at home and a sock that is barely visible from the air our AWOS has been busted for a couple years now and the county keeps making excuses winds are real tricky at home. Any way Snoopy seems happy and running great.

post-11990-0-57376400-1436752388_thumb.jpost-11990-0-13145400-1436752608_thumb.jpost-11990-0-90271300-1436752652_thumb.j

• Like 1

Yesterday's trip to STS and we had to share the ramp with some big boys. Seems the Bohemian club was having its Summer get together to drink beer piss on trees and plan the worlds future.....Nice jets.

post-11990-0-80177400-1437338237_thumb.jpost-11990-0-94199600-1437338265_thumb.jpost-11990-0-56169400-1437338288_thumb.jpost-11990-0-36058700-1437338313_thumb.jpost-11990-0-28638400-1437338333_thumb.j

Yesterday's trip to STS and we had to share the ramp with some big boys. Seems the Bohemian club was having its Summer get together to drink beer piss on trees and plan the worlds future.....Nice jets.

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Hopefully you went to my go-to place while in Santa Rosa... Russian River Brewing!

So today it was another milk run to STS for some shopping lately my landings have become somewhat inconsistent so rather than go straight home we flew up the valley to UKI so I could add another approach and landing. Well one good one OK and one not so good. I can't be too hard on myself for the not so good because winds were really gusty.

Need to get in a long flight as it's been a while.

And just a reminder I started this thread in the hopes of getting more of you to post your today's flight. Favorable winds every one.

Today's flight... Reno to Chester, CA. Beautiful flight in cool/smooth morning air. Mid level clouds well above us that we're definitely going to turn into thunderstorms later in the day. Chester is located on Lake Almanor and is a very pretty little airstrip. FBO has 4 loaner bikes so we grabbed two of those and rode into town for some breakfast at one of the many little cafes. Before heading back home, we did a quick lap around Mt. Lassen!

Both landings were smooth as butter, but pretty easy to do when the air is dead calm/smooth.

This was also my first flight with a Gopro mounted on the tail... So I will have some video of this flight at some point!

post-12798-14384771039241_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Today's flight... Reno to Chester, CA. Beautiful flight in cool/smooth morning air. Mid level clouds well above us that we're definitely going to turn into thunderstorms later in the day. Chester is located on Lake Almanor and is a very pretty little airstrip. FBO has 4 loaner bikes so we grabbed two of those and rode into town for some breakfast at one of the many little cafes. Before heading back home, we did a quick lap around Mt. Lassen!

Both landings were smooth as butter, but pretty easy to do when the air is dead calm/smooth.

This was also my first flight with a Gopro mounted on the tail... So I will have some video of this flight at some point!

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1438477041.408975.jpg

Here is the GoPro video. I'll throw it into the video section as well. I really need to learn how to cut down my footage to make my video shorter!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCBp5ByJxpU

• Like 2