Super AWOS

My wife and I are travelling up to Mendocino, CA this coming week and Little River (KLLR) is where I'm planning my arrival.  Little River has a Super AWOS, which I have never seen or used before, but reading up on it, it sounds like a viable solution for many of our smaller airports throughout the country (I know Oceano was looking into an AWOS).  It looks like it costs around $75K (plus a few hundred dollars annually for upkeep) versus the $200K (plus $5K to $20K annually for upkeep) for a regular AWOS.  I don't even know how to use one so I'm hoping to get some guidance on their use (I think it is just clicking 3 times over the unicom to activate it).  Plus, am I even going to be able to get into KLLR this time of year?  It looks as if it is LIFR all day long the past few days.  Is that just par for the course up there north of San Francisco?

I think the benefit/need for real AWOS is that it is considered a local source of altimeter for performing approaches to lower minimums. Many approach charts will say if local weather not received, use XYZ altimeter and increase all minimums by X feet.