Rough Mag Check

I would think that when you select left mag, you should get left mag. Sounds like the switch should be set up to match the standard.

Now, check the switch and see witch position options are there...L,R,Both or R,L,Both???

This example may explain what you have...

http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=ipad&p=aircraft+ignition+switch+wiring&pcarrier=&pmcc=000&pmnc=00

Best regards,

-a-

I would think that when you select left mag, you should get left mag. Sounds like the switch should be set up to match the standard.

Now, check the switch and see witch position options are there...L,R,Both or R,L,Both???

This example may explain what you have...

http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=ipad&p=aircraft+ignition+switch+wiring&pcarrier=&pmcc=000&pmnc=00

Best regards,

-a-

Mine is a replacement switch because I lost my key in the past and I opted for a switch that I would not have to push while starting; however, they are both labeled R,L,Both.

Conducting some research on mags and came across this link: http://www.avweb.com/news/maint/182843-1.html?redirected=1

I was amazed with how clear this article explains everything about mags without putting you to sleep. I am thinking that the timing or the capacitor/condenser might be the problem.

Capacitor: Because when the mag was taken apart and the gear was rotated I noticed an arc on the points during one or two cycles. According to this article, arcing should not happen at the points and the capacitor/condenser is there to prevent this issue by absorbing the energy.

Timing: Because I went through my logbooks and did not find one entry stating that the mags were IRAN at 500hrs. I found an entry on every annual stating that timing was checked but I find this doubtful because of MXs who I have seen work on my aircraft in the past. I think they just slap a standard blurb on a sticker and not do half the things they say they do (at least in my experience with MXs in the past). Considering that everything looked new inside the mag when it was taken apart, I believe that both internal and external timing could be the issue as well. If the mags were in fact checked for timing and bumped every 100hrs, then the internal timing might be way off considering that there are no entries on my logbook describing that this was done.

Isaac - I had some engine roughness when pushing the plane passed 23" MAP.  I found that one of my mags had 1400 hours on it when I purchased the plane.  I had both mags pulled and sent them over to Select Aircraft Services and had both IRAN'ed.  That resolved my issue.  

If you don't see any documented evidence to having them IRAN'ed and the hours would put them past the 500 hour mark, I'd recommend you have them IRAN'ed regardless if that's the issue.