IPAD on order

Quote: The-sky-captain

While using the approach plates do they have to be "saved" prior to losing internet connectivity? While at altitude I can't pull up approaches that I have not previously saved/ opened. This could be a problem if I had to shoot an approach at an unplanned airport, which is why I still carry paper as a backup. One other thing I noticed on a recent flight to the east coast was that the georeferencing on the charts was fairly spotty at best. It would track me for a few minutes than a message would pop up saying something to the effect that "Foreflight had lost connectivity". Not the end of the world, just a little frustrating. Any imput would be appreciated. Thanks!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never had this problem. What I do is the following: On the "Downloads" page, I have selected every IFR, VFR and approach procedure for the entire country. Once per month, ForeFlight prompts me to download updates, and this takes several hours (I just leave it running overnight) on my T1 connection. Then, everything (other than real-time weather) is always available even without an Internet connection. Hope thils helps. M

I've been an iPad Foreflight user for a few weeks now, and haven't had this problem -- if you enter the "Downloads" page using the icon on the bottom of the screen, and then scroll to the bottom, you can select "Download Settings", which allows you to upload airport diagrams, procedures, and charts by selecting the states that you would like.  So long as you do this while you're in wi-fi or 3G space, they should be resident on your iPad.  You'll need to update them as they expire, of course.

I've got the 32GB version of the iPad, and have loaded up every chart and procedure in Virginia and the surrounding states, and can't think of a reason to be more selective...

Quote: Mitch

This is our situation as well with regards to the VFR charts.  Talking with Foreflight about this, they said you have to "do this" and then "turn this off", etc. and then the "charts will be there all the time".   At this point, the "charts will be there all the time" has not happened.  Not ready to throw out the paper charts just yet.  We are hoping this is all pilot error and we can indeed get all the charts we've downloaded "all the time".  Any help would certainly be appreciated.  Thank you.

Quote: MB_M20F

I've never had this problem. What I do is the following: On the "Downloads" page, I have selected every IFR, VFR and approach procedure for the entire country. Once per month, ForeFlight prompts me to download updates, and this takes several hours (I just leave it running overnight) on my T1 connection. Then, everything (other than real-time weather) is always available even without an Internet connection. Hope thils helps. M

In addition, we did get the " heat" warning indication several times while using the iPad this last weekend.  Granted we were in 90+ degree ground weather most of the time.  This did happen at 7500 feet also.  Anyone had this experience? 

Quote: The-sky-captain

While using the approach plates do they have to be "saved" prior to losing internet connectivity? While at altitude I can't pull up approaches that I have not previously saved/ opened. This could be a problem if I had to shoot an approach at an unplanned airport, which is why I still carry paper as a backup. One other thing I noticed on a recent flight to the east coast was that the georeferencing on the charts was fairly spotty at best. It would track me for a few minutes than a message would pop up saying something to the effect that "Foreflight had lost connectivity". Not the end of the world, just a little frustrating. Any imput would be appreciated. Thanks!

Quote: Mitch

In addition, we did get the " heat" warning indication several times while using the iPad this last weekend.  Granted we were in 90+ degree ground weather most of the time.  This did happen at 7500 feet also.  Anyone had this experience? 

To help avoid any overheat I will always set the iPad face down on my lap or whoever is sitting in the right seat & of course if nobody is sitting there then I just put it there upside down. (thats for the 3G version) Anything I can do to minimize the risk of an overheat! Plus I don't need to look at the chart the whole flight. I just need to reference it every so often, or use it to change music haha! Still haven't had the overheat we'll see!

And Mitch for the gray area's I've noticed that as well when you zoom in beyond what it'll let you. Usually you can still see the intersections/chart info just not at a 200% zoom like you can on skyvector.com

I wasnt about to search through the entire 6 pages to see if this is a repost but I figured I should post it since I saw some of you saying XM weather is not possible on an ipad just yet....Well your ipads are about to become capable of not only Live weather but also ADS-b. Check it out:

http://www.skyscope.net/

now the antenna is costly at 1200 bucks, however for free ADS-B coverage and weather services with the proper antenna will far par for itself over time. I believe it is still in a testing phase to getting approved with the FAA but it IS on the way

Great to see an alternative to XM weather.

Natural operation of a free market.

An overpriced monopolistic service always finds competition.

Maybe XM will get reasonable or go the way of AOL.

Now if we could get valid competition for Garmin..........

For those of you that have a JeppView subscrition, the app is already on the iTunes store, and a true novelty from Jeppesen, IT'S FREE!!  You just have to type the code of your Jeppview and it'll download whatever you have on your subscription.  It's just a viewer, but you'll get all the airport and terminal charts (no enroute IFR) in beautiful Jepp format.