Repair or Replace?

I'd simply cover the bad backup AI for now (or remove it entirely) and spend the money getting the IR!  It will give you more flexibility and freedom, make you a safer and better pilot, expand the utility of your Mooney, and lower your insurance premiums.

After you get the IR you can decide what to do with the backup AI.  I currently have a Mid Continent Lifesaver, but it is starting to wander in pitch so I'll have a similar tough decision pretty soon.

You'll use the plane more with an Instrument Rating. I flew all over the country VFR for almost 3 years before finishing up; now I cancel fewer flights, and have completed some important ones that I could not have done without it.

Mooneys are traveling machines, and that means crossing weather systems. Sure, I've still had to sit out both thunderstorms and winter weather in the last two years, but not as many "other" days of weather at departure, destination or simply en route. My usable weather window is now much larger.

In the meantime, fly as much as possible, learn the plane, get good and comfortable in it. Learn your power settings for different altitudes and speeds, how to climb and descend and slow down to pattern speed. Visit strange new airports, with runways in weird directions, uphill, downhill, humped and dished; even landed on some sloped more like a ski jump. Mix it up with the big boys at some Class C. Then you'll be ready for Instrument work, and excited to go visit even more new places.

In my little ol' C model, I've only been asked to "reduce speed for traffic" once, with my -II; it was funny for both of us. Be prepared to "keep your speed up" too, around the pattern, down the glideslope and sometimes even on short final when you simply cannot. It all goes back to learn the plane, learn the power settings, get comfortable with it.

My vote goes for keeping the plane IFR-legal. If you can do that AND mount a D-1, go for it!

• Like 1

I have only had this plane a short while and just recently got my PPL in it.  I have been reading "Instrument Flying" to help me decide if I want to work towards an Instrument Rating so the bigger question may be IR or not?

Even if you decide to remain a VFR pilot, nothing wrong with that, do take some training in real IFR conditions.  Either you'll decide to get your ticket or for sure you'll never get caught in IFR conditions.  Also listen to some of the audio tapes in AOPA's Air Safety Institute ( I believe that you don't have to be a member to access this section) of real accidents of VFR pilots flying into IFR conditions.