Landing and take off performance

Ward,

I was impressed with it's skill. It collects data without any pilot's effort or distraction. It graphicly showed the point of departure from the ground. I was unable to do that with any accuracy with my own eyes. Of course, I was flying someone else's Screeming Eagle and was testing these exact performances as well...and comparing against the documented performance...

The point I am also making is to make sure the 40 year old plane is abiding by the 40 year old chart in a few points. Do the testing in a safe manner, long open runways etc....

The bargain of the decade: find a run-out Eagle, upgrade to a factory reman 310 HP engine and 3 blade Hartzell prop. Prove out the new performance using something like CloudAhoy on something like an iPad...

CloudAhoy also measured performance of flight maneuvers, time, speed, altitude control, and graphed them over the farms of NJ. If I were a student, I would use this flight recorder for each flight segment.

One error I found that it started the take off run at 16kts. We taxied out and then accelerated. We did not tell it to begin measuring from a stand still. It claimed I was flying in the low 60kts. Not enough data to tell absolute accuracy. That's why I am sharing. Need to start a new thread I think...

View point statement...I am a user, not an expert or flight instructor. YMMV.

Best regards,

-a-

Oscar--

Here are the Takeoff and Landing Distance charts from my 1970 Owner's Manual. The whole file is 4MB if you want it by email. The Parts and Maintenance Manuals are 25MB and 35MB, so I can't send them by email.

Happy flying down there towards Paradise!

FWIW, I have no trouble going in and out of a nearby grass strip, 2000' long. There's a slot in the trees at one end for approach, and a cement plant with gravel pile at the other end, so I don't go there heavy. When leaving my 3000' paved home field at gross, I use Takeoff Flaps and have no trouble clearing the trees at the end, usually raising the flaps as I'm crossing over them.

post-6921-0-67849300-1355236007_thumb.jp

post-6921-0-19207100-1355236009_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Oscar--

Here are the Takeoff and Landing Distance charts from my 1970 Owner's Manual. The whole file is 4MB if you want it by email. The Parts and Maintenance Manuals are 25MB and 35MB, so I can't send them by email.

Happy flying down there towards Paradise!

FWIW, I have no trouble going in and out of a nearby grass strip, 2000' long. There's a slot in the trees at one end for approach, and a cement plant with gravel pile at the other end, so I don't go there heavy. When leaving my 3000' paved home field at gross, I use Takeoff Flaps and have no trouble clearing the trees at the end, usually raising the flaps as I'm crossing over them.

Dear Hank

Thanks for the information! Indeed, I am having tons of fun flying down here in Guatemala. Windy and stormy but very predictable and people are really great.

However, for the next three weeks I will be in Argentina visiting inlaws and behaving well... so grounded and no flying :(