Fuel dip stick calibration 1967 M20F

This is going to sound silly but I'm trying to make a dipstick for the tanks but the measurements aren't showing up as being linear. Does that make sense?

I thought it would be something like 4 gallons per inch but it doesn't seem to be that consistent. Are the tanks not regular shaped? For instance, is the bottom wider than the top so that 2" of fuel at the bottom is = 15 gal but 2" of fuel at the top of the tank is only 5 gal?

I should mention that I have the O&O bladders and the 32 gal tanks (64 gal total).

I did the search first but none of the threads seemed to have measurements that work for mine for some reason.

If anyone has an example of what the measurements should be, I would greatly appreciate the help.

Thanks

Shawn

My "E" model with new 54 gal bladders is definitely not linear. I made a stick but I think I did not wait long enough for the fuel to flow completely. I'm going to make another one after my next flight when I drain one of the tanks.

My results were posted on another topic and were similar to non-bladder tanks which should be close.

BILL

The calibration is definitely not quite linear. They are integrated with the wing structure, and therefore angled with the dihedral. I haven't seen the bladders out of the plane, but I suspect they are also not entirely a uniform shape through their vertical extent. I have 54G bladders in my '68G and the calibration I came up with is attached.

post-8468-0-38014300-1355018230_thumb.jp

At least that would explain why mine appeared so non-linear... I either need to add 4 gal and mark and repeat repeat repeat or I'll have to find someone who already did it for the F with the bladders. My top to bottom only measured approx 7 3/4" to the top of the fuel it could hold but I thought the wing depths where all the same so I don't know whats up there.