Looking for advice on a new Tach for M20E

I shipped my DG to Berkshire Instruments in Cape Coral Florida.  It was $465 and I shipped on a Thursday and had it back on the following Tuesday.  He will do a dual tach for $620

Edited by Jrags
left out info

If you go digital tach be aware that you may need to get used to a wandering RPM number in the window, Even a few RPMs varies the reading on some of them

A standard cable driven tach in reality is much easier to use and doesn't cause the "learning curve" of watching the numbers wander around a little

Now my change to the old Horizon digital did the RPM dance but I don't know if the EI one does or not.

Changed to a Dynon HDX and now just set it a forget it. 

Getting yours fixed is not a bad idea  Less labor to remove and install Less cost and it does what is needed quite efficiently

• Thanks 1

I have one of these:

https://umainstruments.com/aviation-instruments/non-tso-engine-instruments/electronic-tachometers/

I’m very happy with it. It acts and looks like a mechanical tach, but it is electronic. It uses the same technology as most tachs in cars these days. Mine has worked flawlessly for the last 15 years. All you have to do is hook a power wire to it. If you use the pickup that attaches in place of the tach cable, it is an easy install. What I did was unsolder the wires from the connector. Then the cable will fit through the grommet the tach cable went through, then solder the connector back on inside the engine compartment. They are the same connector used on CB radio microphones, so if you mess it up, they are cheap and easy to come by. They are also easy to solder on.

The only downside is the hour meter is kind of hard to read, but you only need to do that when you do maintenance. 

Another benefit is the cost, just a little more than a new mechanical tach.

When you order it, they will mark the dial for your airplane with the correct red green and yellow bands. They will also preset the hour meter to your current aircraft hours, so you will have an accurate display of TTAF.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1