IFR training in NYC area

Ulysse

If you're actually in NYC and you only have mornings free with some sort of specific meetings you have to make in the afternoon, you're not really going to get much of any flying in.  The commute to any of the local airports will eat up all of your time.  

Guess you could try to book an 8AM flight out of Republic (KFRG) on Long Island.  You can get there via the Long Island Railroad (LIRR) which will probablybe a lot more reliable than any car or bus with the morning traffic.  But even then it may be iffy.

9 hours ago, Ulysse said:

I will be traveling to NYC for a few days and will have every mornings free. Any suggestion on a school/CFII to practice IFR flying?

Where in NYC? Manhattan?

Mornings are gonna be tough if you don’t have from 7am to 12pm. Lots of schools are booked solid and won’t take a new student for a few days. A private instructor might be your best bet but even many of them are slammed.

2 hours ago, dzeleski said:

Where in NYC? Manhattan?

Yes Manhattan. 

10 hours ago, PeteMc said:

The commute to any of the local airports will eat up all of your time

I thought it would take around an hour to get to one of the GA airports around NYC.  I can leave early in the morning and be back by 2pm.

4 hours ago, Ulysse said:

Yes Manhattan. 

I thought it would take around an hour to get to one of the GA airports around NYC.  I can leave early in the morning and be back by 2pm.

CDW, FRG, and ISP are you best bets. Most of the schools are booked out however so I would just start calling and see if anyone has openings.

It’s about an hour to each local train station but then you still need to get to the FBO as well.

13 hours ago, Ulysse said:

I thought it would take around an hour to get to one of the GA airports around NYC.

The train itself, yes.  But pending where you are you need to deal with Manhattan traffic or walk to the train station.  At the other end there *should* be taxis, but not always.  So then you need to either wait for a taxi to come back or wait for an Uber.  Same with the return.  You may be able to get a ride from the FBO if they have someone free, but otherwise you're waiting for a taxi/Uber.  Then getting back to wherever you're staying in Manhattan to drop your stuff of and possibly change.  

No single part of the trip is a lot of time (trains the longest chunk), but it all adds up and in the NYC area getting a wrench thrown into the works is not unusual.  I'm not saying you can't do it, but it's not like a smaller city where you just pop off to the airport.  

7 hours ago, PeteMc said:

The train itself, yes.  But pending where you are you need to deal with Manhattan traffic or walk to the train station.  At the other end there *should* be taxis, but not always.  So then you need to either wait for a taxi to come back or wait for an Uber.  Same with the return.  You may be able to get a ride from the FBO if they have someone free, but otherwise you're waiting for a taxi/Uber.  Then getting back to wherever you're staying in Manhattan to drop your stuff of and possibly change.  

No single part of the trip is a lot of time (trains the longest chunk), but it all adds up and in the NYC area getting a wrench thrown into the works is not unusual.  I'm not saying you can't do it, but it's not like a smaller city where you just pop off to the airport.  

Not to mention spending half an hour waiting to takeoff…

you didn’t mention if the training is for in your mooney or a school plane and if you are instrument rated.
Because of insurance, it’s unlikely any school would train in your aircraft - since they’ll be uninsured doing so.
And as a very active CFII i wouldn’t launch into IMC conditions till i had flown with you and new your level of proficiency. Especially if unrated, expect to be limited to VMC practice approaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, 201er said:

Not to mention spending half an hour waiting to takeoff…

True, but it sounds like this is mid week.  At most of the airports you should get off a little faster, but you are VERY correct that it's another factor that always comes into play.

22 hours ago, Ulysse said:

It will be in a school aircraft. Actually, the main objective is just to fly in the US, in particular in the New-York airspace, so I thought I may as well combine this with some IFR training 

If I may offer an opinion being based in the area, I don't recommend you do instrument training here unless you have a particularly strong reason to.

Totally go for a flight lesson and enjoy the landmarks and airspace. Getting under the hood, you won't know or see any of it. It would be more intense due to airspace but not necessarily a more valuable lesson (unless you're instrument rated and just looking for a challenge). Most likely they would take you away from the city and airspace for instrument practice.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you're going up again, there's a cutout for FRG too, so you can go out of there to the East and then possibly shoot Approaches at ISP, FOK, BDR or any of the non towered airports.  Because of the TFR there won't be any T&G traffic and possibly less training traffic in general.

• Thanks 1