Roof Vent....is it needed?

Hey guys, as I sit here trying to figure out what I am going to do next to my Mooney I started to think about the clam shell roof vent.  If the vent is closed how much drag do you think it produces?  I have never used it other than from time to time on the ground to make sure it still works.  Has anyone ever removed it?  If the plane sits out in the rain is it a source for a leak?  As far as what to do next....I am thinking about the tail mods from Lasar.....I have a TDY coming up that will be a month long (going to safety school where I will learn to investigate airplane crashes....basically the military's equivlent of the NTSB) and I won't be flying so I thought what better time to do some mods....

Ray

I don't need mine, but I really want it. In the summer on the ground it really helps. When it's closed, there isn't any drag really. If the drain hoses are cracked or clogged, I suppose there could be water getting in. A cabin cover should prevent this problem. I can understand closing it in for good, but not something I want to do.

I just went all through mine.  Curiously, the entire front of the plenum was open (right where the windshield frame hoop is).  You could put a pack of Marlboro's through it. I sealed it with foam and now it blows like a hurricane with the scoop half open. 

It is useful when it is hot down low, and I wouldn't remove it completely unless you replace it with the later model ventilation system that has the NACA scoop on the dorsal fairing, and all of the internal plumbing to bring the air forward.  Norman (testwest) did that on his '77 J for drag reduction, but involved replacing the top fuselage skin, and I believe he said he got the last one.  It is probably easy to fabricate a new skin for that region, but perhaps not.  The hard part will be getting the new duct work parts to install the new style system.

(I'd love to do that some day, but it is a low priority for me.  The scoop is draggy when open and noisy.)

Ray,

There are instructions that is shown on the Mooney Retro fit drawing #940129 if you decide to remove the overhead scoop as I did when I added the dorsal fin scoop. This is on page 2.0 item 4.

If you want a copy of it PM me.

Eldon

• 2 months later...

Memories from an old M20C...

Too much, in the winter at 11,500'

Not enough, in the summer at 2,000'

Memories from a modern M20R...

Plenty of air flow and heat when needed...

The old systems were not designed well.  Corrosion has often killed their operabillity.  They can be rebuilt with some effort.

-a-

I pulled the Cabin Overhead Ventiliation System drawings from the parts manual and at the speeds these planes fly, why we don't have more air than we know what do with flowing through those vents.  It might be that the valves over the deflectors might not be fully open.  Something's not right... At least I hope it's not working as designed and not a design flaw.

Mine works pretty good. I do have the 201 windshield though. I have yet to be in any GA piston plane where the air vents were enough in heat of summer. A/C is the only thing that will really satisfy you when it's really hot.

To augment the air coming from the vent above, we have a collapsible camping fan that runs on D batteries.  When it is just my wife and I, we set it on top of a headset bag in the back seat and shoot the air forward.  At 9,000 feet in the summer I have had to turn off or put on low setting because my wife was getting cold.  It is a cheap way of moving air in the cabin.

My former E model Mooney had the roof vent sealed when I bought it. I found it sealed with RTV and the top vent control cable missing to the door opening. I flew this newly purchased Mooney back from Oskhosh to Bakersfield and at times almost fried. When I arrived at my home airport, unsealed the vent and jury rigged a hold on the door to open or close it. I ended up buying used parts to repair the missing cable and now it's back to the correct operational condition. I found out the vent system has a drain system using a drain hose if water or rain enters it. My two cents on this issue: is to keep your roof vent operational since on hot days it will be needed.

Have a 67 M20F with stock windshield and I get in my opinion really good air flow from the roof vent.  This is one of the cooler airplanes I have flown in.  The under the panel vents though leave a lot to be desired (the only cooling I get is from the roof top vent).

I like my roof vent as well.  Clarence had to do some surgery on it a two years ago when the thing siezed up, but it works fine now.  I have had to replace the knob and I now carry the small allan key that fits into the machine screw for it. 

Clarence's own modified E model has a NACA vent in the dorsal extension that replaces his roof vent and he says he likes that better.  I have never experienced it, but I think it is quite a job to replace the dorsal with the fiberglass one just so you can hide the ELT antenna and put a NACA vent in.

I removed mine from my 1968 F model, but I had an Ovation available to pull parts from.  Namely the entire new ventilation system.  It wouyld be difficult to find these parts without the factory as a source.  I changed the top skin and it is a die formed part so it too would be a difficult skin to make unless you have a very good sheet metal mechanic.  The top skin is also a thin skin and difficult to work with which is another reason you would need an experienced sheet metal mechanic.  The other obstacle is the authority to do the work.  I do so with DER approval.

John Breda

The vent on my F works very well. In fact, I don't think I have ever opened it more than 1/4. As soon as I turn the knob, the airflow is there immediately and to my opinion, the worst part in the system are the round, plastic disks on the inside. Apparently, these are supposed to direct airflow in different directions when turned, but just looking at the way they are formed, it seems that they might actually restrict the airflow instead. Mine are really flimsy and I just dont like them. I wouldn't close the vent. It helps a lot in summer - even on the ground.

I share the same experience as Lood.  Mine works really well, but my plastic vents actually work as well for directing air.  Mine also has two "eye ball" vents in the front (one on each side) that allows air into the cabin so between the two, we get enough air moving that stays fairly cool.  Get high enough and I've had to close the vents because it got to cold... 

If yours isn't working that well, it might be clogged or a duct has a hole in it allowing the air to escape before reaching the cabin vents. 

Brian