Mooneys in humid places?

FlyDave

Here's a question from someone about to put ANOTHER bid in on an airplane:

With respect to corrosion on the 4130 steel tubing as well as the spar, etc., how do Mooney's fair in climates like the southern and southeastern US where the humidity levels are fairly high all year long. I would think the newer planes (1984+) would fair better from an age and construction perspective but that's just deduction on my part.

Please chime in with your thoughts.

Thanks,

Guest Anonymous

Given that you are going to hangar it (and every Mooney owner should), another trick is to keep either the engine area, or even better, the whole hanger about 4 or 5 degrees above ambient temperature, or in very hot, humid weather to run a cheap dehumidifier in the hanger.  The hangar needs to be fairly tight to make this work as the whole purpose is to increase the hangar temperature/dewpoint spread.  Either method gets drier air, which means less/slower corrosion.  Here in the northwest, I use a small heater even in the summer.  I keep one of those cheap marine temperature/humidity wall plaques on the wall in my hangar, and look for a spread on it every time I go in.

This little trick also stops things like sticky starter solenoids, sticky relays and seal condensation.  Well worth the small electricity charge.

CorrosionX is a must if you have any humidity at all in your area.

RFB

• 3 years later...

These are good questions. I'm based on the gulf coast in a hangar that sometimes has water in the bottom after a hard rain. Apparently, that's what $550/mo gets you down here. My plane was completely corrosion free when I bought it in Minnesota 3 months ago. Where are the first places that I should look for any signs of corrosion? The plane has had the SBs taken care of and had a 337 on file for a tubular structure repair by the pilot's left knee (supposedly common on these) back in the mid-1980s.

If you keep your Mooney in a closed hangar there is little chance of having corrosion. I had mine hangared at FXE for 30 years and don't even have skin surface corrosion. The same for other hangar tenants. Because hangar temperature is nominally 6 deg or more above outside temp humidity is very low. Most corrosion problems you heard about Mooneys is because they were tie downs in places were it rain often with little sunlight to evaporate the accumulated water. Example of this can be seen on cars too. Those in a garage will have little or no deterioration vs those park outside. Sunlight even with no rain is another source for deterioration. Constant heat over the airframe will cause fuel tank sealant deterioration, interior cracking, windows haziness, instruments markings yellowish, paint fading, tires cracking and wiring cracking. If you care about your plane keep it hangar.

José

Hi, Dave. I live in Florida on the Gulf of Mexico, but keep my '78 J model 50 miles inland on the Alabama border in a very nice new hangar. The hangar is cheaper there than it would be where I live, but the primary reason that I keep the plane so far away from home is to get it away from the salt air. Even so, as you said, it is very humid everywhere here in the south east. My solution is to fog the aiplane every year with Corrosion X. I think if you keep your plane in a hangar and regularly treat it with Corrosion X, or the like, your Mooney will outlast you. The key, though, is to get one that is as corrosion free as possible at the time of purchase so that you're starting with a good airframe. Jim

Jim, I wonder if it is worth taking out the bladders and inspecting the bays for corrosion. As you know, mine have been in situ for 23 years and the spar makes up the aft wall of the bays. I have neve rheard of corrosion there, but do you think its a possibility? Would a treatment of corrosion X harm the bladders?

When I had the pre-buy done two years ago on my '83 J, the A&P took off the interior panels to inspect the tubes and all were corrosion free.

While inspecting the logs I saw that Corrosion X was applied about every five years, so I'm sure that helped. The plane is also hangared down here.

I live on Martha's Vineyard, so you can't get more than 3 miles from the ocean. We have deep fog often in spring and summer. My hangar is less than a mile from the south shore. Everyone I know uses Corrosion X every other year and so far so good. Year 'rounders all have hangers. In summer there are often a hundred planes on the ramp and the grass, but in winter last year I only counted two.

There are those who will tell you that any aluminum airplane not kept in Wyoming in a heated hangar will have the wings fall off from corosion in no more than ten years.

Dear Lord. There are DC-3s that have been flying in the most corrosive environs in the world ans till going after 70 years. Figure it out.

Jgreen

Don't forget the engine. They corrode too, but you don't see it. Get a good desiccant dryer, fly the plane frequently for 30 minutes or longer, open the dip stick after you fly to release the moisture from the upper levels of the engine, and check the oil analysis. I am a stickler for corrosion and anywhere I can prevent this I will. I own 2 Mooney's and I will spend whatever it takes to prevent corrosion, plane and engine.