Required equipment list

Ulysse

2 hours ago, larrynimmo said:

Go to faa website and lookup theType Certificate approval for your plane

Thank you!
the TC says:

"In addition to the pertinent required basic equipment specified in CAR 3, the following items of equipment must be installed: ......301(b) ......"

301(b) 70 amp, TCM, 646719 (24V) 

it does not say there has to be two of these, so does this mean that the second alternator is just for redundancy ?

6 hours ago, Ulysse said:

I cannot find in my POH a required equipment list. Yet, I am wondering if both my alternators are required to be operational?

In the Encore POH it should be Section II Limitations, pages 2-9 and 2-10

https://www.dropbox.com/s/esjhf6aqmg8ueva/M20K Encore POH.pdf?dl=0

• Thanks 1

Unofficial 2 cents.  The TC certifies the aircraft with two, but that does not mean that both are required for operation unless the POH says that.  Common sense would of course tell us that two should be working.  

My M20M POH (what I have on hand) does not list two alternators in the minimum equipment list.  However, it does state that if one fails the pilot should "Land when practical to correct the malfunction."   It does not say land immediately.   It also states both are 70amp, but you may need to shed load.

So, would I fly with one failed?   Sure, to finish a flight, or fly somewhere VMC to get it fixed.   I would be sure not to make it a SOP.

4 hours ago, Hank said:

Isn't this where TOMATO FLAMES comes into play?

This is one of my pet peeves as an instructor.  That mnemonic may help you memorize 91.205(b) for a written test (which only covers day VFR, flight by the way).  But in the real world it's useless, because required equipment is governed by a lot more than just 91.205.  Fully understanding the required equipment for a particular airplane requires understanding the Type Certificate for the aircraft, the AFM/POH/placards, and - the one that's most likely to be missed - the Airplane Flight Manual Supplements for any STC'd equipment installed in the airplane.  Any of these things can legally require equipment beyond 91.205.

Other answers in this thread are good - directing the OP to the Type Certificate, POH, etc.  I don't own an Encore, so I won't opine on whether the 2nd alternator must be working.  But for any aircraft owner casually reading this thread... TOMATO FLAMES is not a useful mnemonic, and you shouldn't feel obligated to memorize what it supposedly represents.  Required equipment is something you look up on the ground, so there's no need to memorize it; and the requirements are codified in more than just 91.205.

• Like 1

Use extra caution flying with a bad alternator….

As PIC, you want to know why it isn’t working….

As owner, you want to know why it isn’t working… (gear driven, clutch) or belt driven?

or simple voltage regulator that has gone off line and can be completely turned off via CB….

PP thoughts only, there are expensive stories of bad clutch failures around here….

There are also simple fixes of belt tightening being needed….

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Boilermonkey said:

So, would I fly with one failed?

because I need to fly it to the shop!

many thanks for all the answers. So it seems that the second alternator is not required but I agree with @carusoam that this has to be properly investigated and fixed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ulysse said:

because I need to fly it to the shop!

many thanks for all the answers. So it seems that the second alternator is not required but I agree with @carusoam that this has to be properly investigated and fixed.

Normally the number 1 is gear driven and number 2 is belt driven.  With the top cowl off you can do some simple checking/ testing before hand.

Clarence