Oil pressure drop

Duane Baker

19 minutes ago, Duane Baker said:

Last oil change I changed to Phillips Victory oil because it has the Lycoming additive in it. My oil pressure  was 65/75 psi now it's 59/63 psi, both 20/50. Can it be the oil? I would think that If I put super tech 20/50  it would not change the pressure.

Yes...

Even though, ‘they’, tried to put a label on it that indicates it has the same viscosity as your other oil...

It is possible that the lab tests are showing the same results... but the real life test is showing something slightly different...

Different blends of oil molecules, and their additives... will affect the viscosity...

Pressure is resistance to flow... viscosity causes pressure... temperature affects viscosity.... (lots of things involved)

Since our engines have been designed with a pretty big green arc on the oil pressure gauge... make sure the new oil stays in the green arc...

There are a few things that could cause challenges when changing oil types... one oil may not mix well with the other... they may have a fight in the oil cooler... :)  (there is a recent article somewhere about changing oil types)

PP thoughts only, not an oilman...

Best regards,

-a-