new elt on eagle and ovations

skyking1

Mine is installed on the right side of the dorsal above the N number closest to the tail. It is a thin wire so I would think that it does not reduce the speed much if at all. I would think the directions would indicate where to best place the antenna so as to maximize satillite reception. Antenna placement can be a real issue for performance so I'd be cautious in burying it inside the fuselage/fin. Hope that helps.  

At the moment all is well. My annual in Sept was a "no issues" which was really great as the airframe/engine have very little time & I was expecting that I might have some gotchas. A/C that don't fly sometimes have more issues than those that do but I came away pleasantly surprised. All AD's & SB's were also completed. I simply do not fly enough & need a new mission. I'm sure something will come along.   

Here is the link to Mooney S/I M20-116 covering 406 ELT in Mooney airframes:

http://www.mooney.com/images/pdfs/si-pdf/m20-116.pdfc

Installing the antenna in the dorsal fairing althiugh not impossible would mean a lot of work.  Both left and right tail fairings would have to be drilled off.  Then the drosal fairing would have to be drilled off, old antenna removed, new installed and everything re-installed and painted.  Alot of work for a knot or two.

I did mine before installing all of the fairings the first time.

Clarence