wheel dust cover screw size

bnicolette

Does anybody happen to know what size screw goes in the "hub caps"?  Two of mine are stripped out and I want to put in a heli-coil so I can get my dust covers back on.  Just wondering what size to buy?  (too lazy to run to the airport first)

There are listed as MS3506-241 in the parts manual but I can't find them anywhere online?

Thanks,

B~

Nevermind, I think I found them: 

AN526-832R5   

• Like 1

they are a standard 8/32 I recall from memory.If the wheel is stripped...an easier repair other than a helicoil is to drill out and tap to next size....ie 6/32 to 8/32,8/32 to 10/32..etc...this will need an a/p blessing who may insist you replace the wheel...goodluck..kp couch

I am not a certified A&P mechanic, but rumor has it that a heli-coil is an approved repair per AC43-13 for simple things like that, same as it is for a spark plug which is a critical item. 

Also, if you leave the hangar door ajar, sometimes the heli-coil fairy appears at midnight and waves her wand. She cannot write therefore no log entry.  She also fixes leaky compass diaphragms from time to time and adjusts KI-266 DME indicators.

• Haha 1

Quote: Bnicolette

Does anybody happen to know what size screw goes in the "hub caps"?  Two of mine are stripped out and I want to put in a heli-coil so I can get my dust covers back on.  Just wondering what size to buy?  (too lazy to run to the airport first)

There are listed as MS3506-241 in the parts manual but I can't find them anywhere online?

Thanks,

B~

Nevermind, I think I found them: 

AN526-832R5   

Quote: jetdriven

I am not a certified A&P mechanic, but rumor has it that a heli-coil is an approved repair per AC43-13 for simple things like that, same as it is for a spark plug which is a critical item. 

Also, if you leave the hangar door ajar, sometimes the heli-coil fairy appears at midnight and waves her wand. She cannot write therefore no log entry.  She also fixes leaky compass diaphragms from time to time and adjusts KI-266 DME indicators.

Well Brett,you are allowed to remove the wheel,split it,remove and change tire and tube,remove and replace wheel bearings in same wheel after lubing,make simple repairs on nonstructural fairings(a wheel hubcap is a type of fairing and is non structural)others may disagree but there is a strong case for this to be a legal repair that you sign of with your pilots license #...kpc

Well I went out and played at the hangar the other day and noticed that the dust cover holes in the rims already had heli coils in them.  SO, should I just replace the 8/32 heli coils or should I step up to the next size heli coils?

I have my dust covers off now and I have to say, I cant stand seeing the plane with those covers off!  I ordered a heli coil kit for 8/32 and 10/32 just in case the 8/32 won't work anymore.