Another Hangar Question Shipping a Port a Port

cliffy

Anyone know how a Port a Port hangar would be moved from one airport to another? 

I've got a lead on a small P -o- P that's cheap but has to be moved. 

Move would be about 400 miles on interstate highway. 

Anyone ever done this?

I know they used to be stacked together and shipped from KSLO new years ago. I guess one could disassemble and set on truck the same way. Couldn't they?

"Port" means portable 

I just bought a port a port that needs work.  This company seems to offer parts and moving services.  I have not spoken to them yet.  I have not been able to find the original company.  

I have the smallest version.  It is rather tight and requires precision in putting the plane away.  I almost smashed the tail while watching the wing the other day.  Would recommend the next size up.

https://www.portaportparts.com/

Read their ad carefully They only move on the airport and not airport to airport

Moving in and out if the hangar has its hazards. Used to put 6 Learjets in 1 hangar  every night by myself at 18 years of age (lots of decades ago).

Have info on one company in CA that does move them Have to wait until Monday to check pricing and see if the hangar is still available. 

Expect some interesting work to go with that...

• disassembly
  • move
  • re-assembly

How big and heavy are the biggest pieces?

Do the parts require a fork truck and flatbed to lift and move?

Or does this only require two men and a truck...?

How corroded are the bolts holding it all together?

Are you looking to have the project done turn-key, or Are you going to be there to maintain control?

Moving this stuff professionally is done by moving and rigging companies... 

Find a small local company that does moving and rigging... they may have the equipment needed, or they may need to rent some additional specialty stuff like a crane... the people are called mechanics and millwrights.

Sounds like a free building may cost a lot to move...

My friends in the rigging business always were lining up projects to keep the men busy between larger jobs...  call around to see if you can fit this into the cracks... of a larger schedule...

Ask the existing hangar companies how they move and install the new stuff... they probably have relationships around the country with small rigging outfits that are familiar with the work...

if all the existing hangar companies move and install their own equipment... this maintains the quality, but elongates their schedule... they still may have schedule cracks they want to fill in...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic or a millwright... :)

Best regards,

-a-

Moving a plane around tight spaces...

1) get a powered tug...   you can’t pay attention well enough with your head down and pushing.

2) get guides put down...

• physical, rigid, bolted to the floor are nice...
  • painted lines can work...
  • I have a few chalk lines... refreshed every couple of months...

3) head down, no guides, and tight spaces..... expect hangar rash to be problematic...

Somewhere in the range of empty weight and MGToW... Mooneys go from easy to move... to needing two people or a powered tug device...

Small inclines and hangar entries add extra challenges...

I am relatively new to hangar ops... only about eight years or so... my tie-down was so nicely worn, it didn’t need guides... it had two mild depressions in the pavement to locate the wheels...   :)

Best regards,

-a-

I know a couple of P-O-P that were at E. Colfax airport and were moved to Platte Valley ( Denver area airports) when E. Colfax was closed.  I talked to one of the owners who moved his P-O-P and he said it really was not worth it.  Damage in transit and trouble with building inspector in Weld County more than doubled his investment.  The P-O-P were supposed to be personal property ( not subject to build codes) but Weld County did not agree so he had to meet county building codes.  

Also a friend who owns a door company owned several P-O-P at KAPA.  He has made of lot of side income fixing doors of P-O-P located at APA.  Having a hangar is always a good deal but you may end up with a big hassle doing it this way.

Lots of P o P s on my current airport. Not many get used often. Planes sit for years and never leave the P o P

Had one just last month come out for the first time in 14 years, a "pristeen" C 172 with only 2000 hrs TT Had a full panel

of 1989 radios and everything original from the factory back then. Someone bought it and we told him he had @ 100 hrs to find out if the engine 

begins spalling the cam. 

• 3 years later...

I moved my portaport 65 miles from one airport to another. I moved it in three pieces and it was relatively easy. I did need 

a couple of retired friends to drive in the front and back with flashers and wide load signs. They assisted in placing the 

building in the proper place. Mostly did it by myself. I would be willing to sell the equipment for $300. Bob Holliday.

316-641-6178. Wichita Ks. moto123@sbcglobal.net