Dual G3X project

Hey guys.  I recently bought a G1000 panel for my J and am thinking about installing dual G3X touch 10’6” displays (now certified) in place of where the 2 G1000 are now.  

Currently have a CGR-30P I would remove for the Garmin G3x built in engine monitor.  

I would add:

-remote comm

-remote ads-b  with WAAS gps in/out

-pitot AoA sensor 

-remote audio panel

-Gad29b for now and keep s-tec 30 until I can afford gfc500

-my issue is do I need a Nav source anymore.  Garmin doesn’t seem to make a remote Nav source that I found.  It seems that most airports have gps approaches. I won’t really have the real estate for a gtn-650.  And personally would like everything driven through the 2 10” displays  I also picked up the matching cct breaker panel

What are all your thoughts on my panel modernization idea?  Crazy, cool? I’d like some feedback 

3D823E21-9FF3-4D77-ACD8-E6D28774733B.png

B06B3FC1-350B-457B-9BDB-6C6FFD1D596E.jpeg

765FA729-41D0-4605-8E1D-95B412B3DC38.jpeg

BF6C0A64-8969-49C6-9F50-A9B29F4F33DB.jpeg

Edited by Scott Aviation

4 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

I saw that on Ebay. Only one problem, I don't think it will fit your J.

Ya I wondered about that and it appears the newer birds lowered their panel height. Back to the old height of the j/k. If you look at the 3 round gauges it appears to be  similar in height including the glareshield bump up like I’ve got. Width wise it will be fine and the yoke mounts never changed.  What’s your thoughts about why it wouldn’t fit?

Just now, Scott Aviation said:

Ya I wondered about that and it appears the newer birds lowered their panel height. Back to the old height of the j/k. If you look at the 3 round gauges it appears to be  similar in height including the glareshield bump up like I’ve got. Width wise it will be fine and the yoke mounts never changed.  What’s your thoughts about why it wouldn’t fit?

The height difference you mention, but hey you never know. And the one piece configuration may take some major surgery, but again who knows until you try.

4 minutes ago, gacoon said:

Garmins new gps/nav/transponder would be an interesting option, designed to work with the G3x

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/577174

I was eyeing this option but it’s not remote mount. If you see the pic I posted not any room for a display gnx/gtn.  I don’t need the annunciatior panel as my J has just the lights but I thought that would be a great spot for the GFC500 control head down the road.  I wonder what some exp guys have done or if all settled on a gtn etc

3 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

The height difference you mention, but hey you never know. And the one piece configuration may take some major surgery, but again who knows until you try.

I looked at the physical dimensions of the g1000 displays vs 10.6” G3x displays and they are almost identical.  I think your getting newer tech and touch for 1/100 of the cost of a g1000

7 hours ago, Scott Aviation said:

Hey guys.  I recently bought a G1000 panel for my J and am thinking about installing dual G3X touch 10’6” displays (now certified) in place of where the 2 G1000 are now.  

This G1000 panel would require (at least !) welding of a new part (340304-501) to the cabin primary tubular structure (if that's even possible) and a new glareshield if your M20J is below s/n 24-3374. 

I'm not sure how you would deal with that with your aviation authority wth that, but on this side of the pound it would be rather complex.

Dual 10'6" G3X is not an approved configuration per Garmin STC.
Only a 10'6" + 7' is approved.

I would add:

-remote comm

Remote com does not exist for G3X touch certified. Only for experimental as of today

-pitot AoA sensor 

The AoA feature does not exsit for G3X certified . Only for experimental as of today

-remote audio panel

Remote audio panel does not exist for G3X touch certified. Only for experimental as of today

What are all your thoughts on my panel modernization idea?  Crazy, cool? I’d like some feedback

Well... ;)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

You would have lost money if you wouldn't have bought it . . lol

My grandfather used to have a joke:

Grandfather's friend, Bill shows up to the picnic with 3 elephants.  Grandfather: "Bill, you don't need an elephant.  Bill why did you buy 3 elephants?  You don't even need 1" Bill, "I saved money, they were buy 2 get 1 free."

• Like 1

My grandfather used to have a joke:
Grandfather's friend, Bill shows up to the picnic with 3 elephants.  Grandfather: "Bill, you don't need an elephant.  Bill why did you buy 3 elephants?  You don't even need 1" Bill, "I saved money, they were buy 2 get 1 free."

Bill must be my mother-in-law’s spirit animal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1