Side air vents

jaylw314

Hi guys--

I've tried to figure this out from the POH and MM, but can't find any details.  I have eyeball vents in the pilot and copilot knee area that I assume come from the cabin side vents.  The pilot side eyeball vent actually hangs done from its hose and is not installed in anything, it just dangles from the vent.  It came this way when I bought the plane.

How is this eyeball vent supposed to be installed?  I can't see any place in the kick panel where it could fit.  And is this standard?  I can't imagine all Mooneys came this way.

My suspicion is that the pilot side vent was originally used as a avionics cool air supply, but since a blower fan was installed, they just cut it off and stuck an eyeball vent on the hose.  However, the POH actually says the RIGHT airscoop vent has outlets for avionics cooling.

On the pilot's side in my '84 J, in the foot well, I have a WEMAC vent attached to the outside kick panel. The parts manual calls out for an adapter between the hose and the vent - p/n 640300-007. The hose and adapter are behind the kick panel. The dimly lit picture shows about where the adapter and hose are in the pilot's foot well.

Wemac adapter.jpg

My 77 J has one eyeball at the pilot knee, and the old avionics cooling plenum at the co-pilot location. The eyeball just screws right thru the carpet and into the vent... No hoses or tubes. I need to add one to the co-pilot side too.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, sorry I don't have pictures yet.  So it sounds like there is an attach point for the copilot eyeball vent, but not the pilot side vent.  That sounds like what's going on with mine, thank you!  I'll just ask my shop if they can attach it to the carpet panel.

@Oldguy how the hell did you come up with that picture so quick?? :)

I have the same problem, but on the other side.  Like @KSMooniac, I have an eyeball vent on the pilot side at my knee.  However, on the copilot side, I can't find the vent.  There is air blowing in from somewhere over there, but I haven't been able to locate where it comes from, so have no control over the airflow.  Maybe I can look at one of the other Mooneys at Stearman this weekend and figure out what it's supposed to look like.

15 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

@Oldguy how the hell did you come up with that picture so quick?? :)

My plane just came out of the avionics shop for some Aspen/Sandia/PMA additions right after its annual, and while I had the chance, I pulled the panels and side panels to refresh/replace. Being of the age where my recall is best supplemented with pictures, I snap photos of pretty much everything I touch in my plane both before and after. Otherwise, it would amazing how many pieces I would have remaining after reassembly! :huh:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, KSMooniac said:

@jaylw314 Here ya go from an 81 J.a01374e6f78188de2fd121c654eb24be.jpg329a738637efbc8ecd1b40e8d7c427cf.jpg

78J I’ve got the same set up. The big hole is attached to a scat tube that runs to an air box thingy. The other little tubes I’ve been procrastinating/debating on what to do on that. I’m thinking flex tube with some type of in off valve.