G5 HSI released!

That is a game changer. So the "combo pack" plus the guts needed to interface with a GTN ("required interface") and a magnetometer will be in the area of 5 AMU's plus install. The Aspen VFR only provides CDI but for $4300 or so plus install. Add $600-1000 for the ACU and then the Aspen drives your autopilot thus negating the need to keep my legacy AI & DG which drive my Century IIb. Questions for Garmin: what are your plans to interface with an Autopilot? What other data can the DG/HSI replacement show (i.e. Wx, Traffic, etc). That is a bonus for the Aspen as it shows wx and traffic from outside inputs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Aspen VFR PFD will interface ; Aspen encourages the installation of the ACU as it makes the upgrade to the Pro very simple. Apparently you just pay them $5000 or so and you get a software upgrade kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Godfather said:

Looks good...Link

IMG_0064.JPG

Awesome capability by also allowing the nav inputs including vertical guidance.  And 4 hr battery- probably more reliable than any vac or gyro - what great potential as BACKUP instrument.  You can install as primary but it's STILL not approved to use as a simple replacement to let you tear out a vac-driven backup AI.  And as far as I can tell from prior discussion on here, it NEVER WILL BE approved because of a meaningless regulatory technicality related to a slight decrement in accuracy of the AI if airspeed input is lost. Sorry I know that has been hashed out ad nauseam in other threads here - it's time to address my anger issues again :P

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DXB said:

Awesome capability by also allowing the nav inputs including vertical guidance.  And 4 hr battery- probably more reliable than any vac or gyro - what great potential as BACKUP instrument.  You can install as primary but it's STILL not approved to use as a simple replacement to let you tear out a vac-driven backup AI.  And as far as I can tell from prior discussion on here, it NEVER WILL BE approved because of a meaningless regulatory technicality related to a slight decrement in accuracy of the AI if airspeed input is lost. Sorry I know that has been hashed out ad nauseam in other threads here - it's time to address my anger issues again :P

To be clear, you can replace the attitude indicator but you have to retain your altimeter, airspeed indicator, and T&B.  You're not allowed to use the G5 as primary for those functions.

The 2.5 amu price comes with a magnetometer and it can drive an autopilot but Garmin has not certified that portion yet...next year at s&f???

However, IMO they will never port the GAD unit into these lesser cost systems.  I'm pretty sure they associate the higher end BK AP systems to individuals who have deeper pockets...might as well force them to the g500 type system. 

Edited by Godfather

18 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Unless it's slaved to a compass, drives an autopilot, and will display multiple nav sources... it's not worth it. 

Just my $0.02

Not true, in fact I think Aspen should offer a huge rebate in the next week or so...checkbook out and ready to buy.  Crap I'm one of those buyers that take 3 years to find the best deal on plane stuff...

1 minute ago, Godfather said:

Not true, in fact I think Aspen should offer a huge rebate in the next week or so...checkbook out and ready to buy.  Crap I'm one of those buyers that take 3 years to find the best deal on plane stuff...

If it won't drive an autopilot, I wouldn't install it in any Mooney I'd own. Now if I was flying a J-3 Cub, this would be the hot ticket.

• Like 2

Just now, gsxrpilot said:

If it won't drive an autopilot, I wouldn't install it in any Mooney I'd own. Now if I was flying a J-3 Cub, this would be the hot ticket.

I think there's a delicate difference between won't and isn't allowed to in this case.

1 hour ago, markejackson02 said:

To be clear, you can replace the attitude indicator but you have to retain your altimeter, airspeed indicator, and T&B.  You're not allowed to use the G5 as primary for those functions.

I think DXB is referring to the bs rule that you can use it for a sole primary unit but not as a backup AI in some installs. 

Personally I think this would be a great replacement to a backup CDI but I'm sure Garmin will provide some bs reason why it can't be mounted along side another HSI because of the dangerous situations it might cause. 

There are a lot of Mooney owners that won't care if it can't drive an autopilot. Some of us have autopilots that use the turn coordinator, and need no connection to the HSI or AI. Since it has a magnetometer, I assume it's self aligning. My existing HSI can't show multiple nav sources, so I'm not too worried about that. I've got about 20 hours behind the Aspen in a 182RG, and I never used the multiple nav source at all. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AaronDC8402 said:

There are a lot of Mooney owners that won't care if it can't drive an autopilot. Some of us have autopilots that use the turn coordinator, and need no connection to the HSI or AI. Since it has a magnetometer, I assume it's self aligning. My existing HSI can't show multiple nav sources, so I'm not too worried about that. I've got about 20 hours behind the Aspen in a 182RG, and I never used the multiple nav source at all. 

That's a valid point- but if it's between an Aspen that has the possibility to interface to a century autopilot, and has upgradeability, or this solution in a mooney, for similar cost, i'd go with the Aspen.

bit then again, I'm biased, because I already did....

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

Just flipping through the installation manual and I don't think the G5 is capable of providing a Heading Error Signal to an STEC 20/30.  Unless there is another way to get that signal to my autopilot it doesn't make much sense to use the G5.  That is the AP feature I use the most!

• Like 2

I don't doubt it's a nice little unit. And there will be a G5 in my panel when it gets back from the avionics shop. But I don't see this as any competition for Aspen. The G500/600 is Aspen's competition. And it's certainly tough competition. I'm sure there are Mooney owners who don't care as much about the autopilot. But I'm not one of them. I'm actually on the record around here of not being willing to even look at any Mooney that doesn't have at minimum, an Stec30/altitude. 

But that's just me.