Mystery material

I was under my plane today on the creeper and saw something I haven't noticed before. Deep in the wheel well where the rod disappears into the airframe I noticed a material that was attached to both the well and the rod. For lack of better words I would describe it as a cheesecloth looking material. Anyway, the left gear side was intact and the other one was pretty ragged looking and only about half of it was still attached.

Two questions: What is it and what is it's significance?

No problem Jim. The trip was something that he has wanted to do for the last 30 years and he said it was the best experiance of his life. I'll let you guys know when he gets started on his eastern leg and you can follow along. He claims after he finishes the eastern section he's selling the Cherokee and getting checked out in the Mooney:)

That was one of the items to replace on my plane during the current annual.  One side had a hole and birds for sure (and probably mice) had been getting into the airframe).  If there is a hole and you are based anywhere near an open field I would suggest sealing it with either a new boot or figure out something.

The material in my wheel well looks like duct tape.  It's the same color..silver.  I'll ask the MSC next time it's in for an annual about it.  When I first saw it 2 years ago I thought it didn't belong there, because it does not look like it's FAA approved, but I guess it is. 

The "Duct Tape" material is actually part of the install.  Mine looked like a canvas bag with the edges duct taped in place.  That is literally what it was for years until they came out with the boot method (which is some sort of plastic or rubber).  That's what they are installing now since the canvass material had the gaping hole in it allowing access for critters in to the aircraft.  I'm not sure if it is FAA approved, but that's evidently what shops, including MSC centers, used for years.

I actually trained for about 11 hours in 2002 in Lawrencville.  I remember they used to tie down blimps there, do they still do that?

Hello Seth, yes, Lawrenceville, GA still has airships tied down once in awhile.  I believe the last airship I saw was there  last summer and it was a Metlife blimp.  It was there for days.  It was at the southwest part of the field tied down near runway 07.  I see you are based at "Freeway".  I went in there with my step-Dad flying in the Mooney and I remember it was sporting with the obstacles.  You must be a very good pilot. 

Thanks for the compliments - but I know I still have a lot to learn.  You get used to where you fly and as long as you watch out for the obstacles, its not that difficult a field - and you can always go around if you don't like your approach on final.  I initially trained at GAI - Gaithersburg, then two years later at LZU - Lawrenceville, and then finally finished the PPL after another two year break at PDK - Peachtree Deklab.  So Freeway is a much smaller runway (but great people). 

At Freeway, it's interesting, when using runway 18, due to the power lines that run almost directly north of the runway and then parallel the west side of the field, you have a shortened base and almost a 45 degree final until you cross a highway, line up, and land.  It's an angled final until you have avoided the danger of the wires.  You can see what I'm talking about using google maps or mapquest and looking at the satellite photos.  You want to avoid the wires, but it does make for an interesting approach.  Also, the runway is 40 feet wide by 2400 feet (when landing on 36 there's a displaced threshold so its a bit shorter).  I learned to fly the Mooney at Freeway (first test flight of the Mooney's I flew was at Freeway), and I've gotten used to the smaller runway.  There is a painted orange stripe halfway down the runway.  If you have not touched down by the stripe, you go around.  It always amazes me that even with 2400 feet you can use minimal braking to slow down as long as you fly the numbers properly in the pattern.   I admit though, when I come back to Freeway from a 5000' by 100' runway, it looks SMALL.  Amazing though how you line up on centerline a lot better when the runway is narrow.