Walk away or move forward with prebuy

Make darn sure the rear wing spar is in good  and  airworthy condition (deal breaker) and like others have said that patch on the elevator  flight control maybe unairworthy (deal breaker). Another question to ask who did the overhaul on the engine ?
If you are planning on fixer upper airplane... whether it be this one or another Where do you plan to keeping  it??

Hangars say at Renton are at premium and wait list is long.  Auburn is better  but  the road traffic is a bear trying to get to airplane after work  during week  from about say 13:30 to 18:00 you can forget about it or have a lot patience  dealing with hwy 167's parking lot . The open hangar @ S50 are cheaper but seems  like every piece dirt from the valley goes  through the open hangers and can't really leave your airplane dissembled while waiting on parts.  Also with open hangar at S50 You wash your plane one week  come back the next to find  you have a layer dirt on it.  PAE and AWO  S43 could be options as well not sure if there is wait list is like seems like  AWO has hangar space at price  which is cheaper than RNT & BFI & S50 is going to be. 

IMHO  can't speak about G models out there but ...$43k  seems  like  it is way too much.  The C model's  averages from what I have seen low ~$25.5k ish   to mid 30's  seem to be the norm and then you get the occasional guy who are asking  high 40's or even 60's  whether that  they get that amount  is another story.  I have wondered  about the performance of the  G model which  is  long body with 180hp engine,  which  maybe ok, I have never flown  a G model can't really say, but Mooney only made then for about 3 years http://www.mooneyevents.com/chrono.htm .

If price is consideration and for what it is worth and ...  I would stick with manual gear and flaps option on pre 1969 Mooney's .

Less AD's to deal with at annual time (currently).

Good luck in your search.

James '67C

I wish we could get a hanger.  4 year waiting list at KPAE and even then F***ING EXPENSIVE.  Not sure about S43, but I really don't want to base there.  Flying into there at night kinda terrifies me.  I did my initial training there and the small tight runway with piss poor non standard lighting (the runway is 36ft wide, let's put the runway edge lights 45 feet apart because that won't suck right?), and no VASI (the tri color vasi listed in the AFD hasn't existing for 30 years as far as I've heard, who knows why it's still listed).  So yeah basing my plane there would make me feel very hesitant about night ops.

So unfortunately she'll be tied down on the ramp most likely.

Ugly paint... IMO overlook it. You can just as easily be wowed by fantastic paint to have something lurking underneath. Adjust price accordingly.

No one has mentioned it so I will: What is with the repair on the spar in one of the MLG wheel wells, pic #8???

It's been mentioned several times.  New stiffners installed by an MSC due to corrosion.

I'd pass on this G and look for an F if that's what the wife wants. I would also look at C's & E's.

I've had 4 people in the airplane maybe 2x in 3 years. I really like our E now...It only took 3 years to get it to the point where I could fly my girls in it.

I think this would be too much of a project for your first airplane.

Good luck,

-Matt

I'd pass on this G and look for an F if that's what the wife wants. I would also look at C's & E's.

I've had 4 people in the airplane maybe 2x in 3 years. I really like our E now...It only took 3 years to get it to the point where I could fly my girls in it.

I think this would be too much of a project for your first airplane.

Good luck,

-Matt

Wife wants the mid body.  Basically the math on that one was pretty simple: "We can't fit a normal stoller in here.".  We're already planning our second one so we'll have strollers for quite some time  ;)

We've regularly avoided inviting friends that would be interested due to gross weight in the Cessna's we rent.  G's aren't much better in that regard, but are marginally better.  F's on the other hand have pretty great usable loads.  My partner is much more concerned with usable load.

So between the two of us I eliminated the C and E models. He is very iffy on the G model and any planes that have gained weight over the years end up out.  So yeah...F model is pretty much where we are at.

Wife wants the mid body.  Basically the math on that one was pretty simple: "We can't fit a normal stoller in here.".  We're already planning our second one so we'll have strollers for quite some time  ;)

We've regularly avoided inviting friends that would be interested due to gross weight in the Cessna's we rent.  G's aren't much better in that regard, but are marginally better.  F's on the other hand have pretty great usable loads.  My partner is much more concerned with usable load.

So between the two of us I eliminated the C and E models. He is very iffy on the G model and any planes that have gained weight over the years end up out.  So yeah...F model is pretty much where we are at.

The F is great load hauler for its class. I can easily take 800lbs in the cabin 500NM with reserves.

If you really want to haul adults around you might need a 182. Sorry to say it.

If you really want to haul adults around you might need a 182. Sorry to say it.

Yup... Here's a nice looking one for $75K-

http://www.controller.com/listingsdetail/aircraft-for-sale/CESSNA-182-SKYLANE/1966-CESSNA-182-SKYLANE/1313449.htm

Oh wait, never mind, it only has a useful load of 1047lbs and needs more of it for fuel.

All 182s are not created equal. Those with the MGW increase are better. They are much easier to get in and out of.

All that being said, the F is a genuine 4 seater. It has the room and the useful to take 4 normal sized folks and bags on 500NM trip, or one of Chris's girls around the pattern if you remove the seats...

Therefore, I see no reason for everyone to instill this panic here; if it has truly been annual-ed by an MSC then everything should be in order.

Isn't there a long thread about your adventures with the FAA on an aircraft that had been through multiple annuals and maintained by a well respected MSC?

• Like 4

Or a Comanche, the 400 in particular.

Clarence

Let me guess, yours is convieniently for sale...for the right price?

Although Doc shows a relentless love of his 400 he has never been disrespectful of our Mooney's even our little short bodies.

He's making up for the lack of a backwards tail, but we aren't falling for it :P

Although Doc shows a relentless love of his 400 he has never been disrespectful of our Mooney's even our little short bodies.

I just want his love to be returned. Surely there is a place where a photo and discussion of his bird is the order of the day. May he find that place and have a blissful relationship.

Or change the name of the sight and the monniker to reflect what it is: Mooney's of all shapes, sizes and age and the other guys that want to hang out with them.

Maybe the Courts can force me to love his plane and be inclusive. Surely we can not have a type specific site. That is just wrong. I want a standard tail AND my make of plane to be included in the name of the site. I feel oppressed, my body aches...Perhaps he should sue for damages?

• Like 3