i would prefer bladders...

Guest Mike261

Guest Mike261

there is quite a good deal of information on the site about fuel bladders. I am however confused about the fuel caps. conflicting info. are they relocated? different cap types? I would like to retain the original cap location and a flush cap. anyone have any pictures of a completed install, I couldn't find anything on the o and n site.

thanks

mike

Mike - the current bladder systems use a different cap system than the older versions. Both however, keep the filler hole in the same location.

I just happen to take a picture of the new style off of Dev's plane. Let me find it and post it.

Found it:

bde6fa36cee91abd3cd1a540a6b1f209.jpg

I have bladders in my plane for the past 24 years. No issues...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

did you have them installed by your local a&p?

Raised caps were part of the original AD submission. It was later removed as part of the review but was offered as an option to those of us impacted by the AD. I remembered them because they looked like Piper caps. I opted to stay with the Shaw ones.

As Jim points outs below, the newer style caps became available late due to other reasons.

I had mine installed at the source O&N. The AD mods were done by my AI.

I don't think that that is the case, Chris. The AD dates back to January 2005 and applies to bladder installations prior to February 1998, but the caps didn't change until about five years ago. I think that the reason O&N went to a different cap design (the one that you have pictured above) was because Shaw, the manufacturer of the caps that O&N used back when you and I had our bladders installed, raised their prices exponentially and O&N could no longer affordably incorporate them into their STC. They had to find an alternative.

All that having been said, a non-flush cap has always been a no-cost option with O&N, but apparently very few if any Mooney owners have chosen it.

Jim

Jim - you're right. The AD was originally going to force the retrofit to raised caps but was removed. The raised caps were offered as an option when the AD was complied with but I stayed with my original Shaw caps.

I corrected my original post.

I know OP has a J and asked if the caps are relocated? As mentioned, for the J, they are not. Pre J the caps are relocated one bay outboard. Pre J aircraft gain fuel capacity, even with the basic install.

Could we get a version of O&N's precision machined cap with lock, to fit in the nicer (OEM) ultra flush fill neck?

There is something funky about the step that O&N has by mounting to the external surface of the wing.

Brand P and C pilots don't have these laminar concerns...

Best regards,

-a-

I know OP has a J and asked if the caps are relocated? As mentioned, for the J, they are not. Pre J the caps are relocated one bay outboard. Pre J aircraft gain fuel capacity, even with the basic install.

I thought the F and the J had identical tanks and filler locations.

My caps were not relocated.. I think that the change in caps results in more capacity (54 gal vs 52) since you can fill it more.

I've posted pics of my set done in 2011.

Bill

attachicon.gifResize of PICT0692.JPGattachicon.gifResize of PICT0693.JPG

I believe my caps are in the same location, too.  They do create another access panel on top of the wing, but the caps weren't moved.

I don't think that that is the case, Chris. The AD dates back to January 2005 and applies to bladder installations prior to February 1998, but the caps didn't change until about five years ago. I think that the reason O&N went to a different cap design (the one that you have pictured above) was because Shaw, the manufacturer of the caps that O&N used back when you and I had our bladders installed, raised their prices exponentially and O&N could no longer affordably incorporate them into their STC. They had to find an alternative.

All that having been said, a non-flush cap has always been a no-cost option with O&N, but apparently very few if any Mooney owners have chosen it.

Jim

You are very right Jim.  Even on the Acclaim and later models they opted not use the Shaw Aero caps. Not only are they expensive but long delivery times. I like the new style with the lock (underneath the rotating handle).

José

post-6932-0-66860600-1431225186_thumb.jp

That's what I was asking for, José! (In post #14)

Flush mount with a refined machining tolerance.

The Laminar guys will like that.

The O&N surface mount just doesn't have the caché of the one you have pictured.

Best regards,

-a-

That's what I was asking for, José! (In post #14)

Flush mount with a refined machining tolerance.

The Laminar guys will like that.

The O&N surface mount just doesn't have the caché of the one you have pictured.

Best regards,

-a-

The one on the picture above is used on the later LR tanks for Mooneys on those models requiring the extra filler cap. When the rivets are painted it looks really nice. I could not figure out why O&N opted for 12 screws on their caps. The O&N surface mount may be due to allow bolting it to the bladder collar.

José

Guest Mike261

You are very right Jim.  Even on the Acclaim and later models they opted not use the Shaw Aero caps. Not only are they expensive but long delivery times. I like the new style with the lock (underneath the rotating handle).

José

so is this the current version of cap used by o and n?