Best 2.24 engine gauges ????

I am I

N need of repairing or overhauling my existing gauges on my panel. With my plane being a 59 model what have you guys used with success that is the old 2.25" gauges. I'm looking for oil press, oil temp, fuel press, I'd like to have all of them replaced so they will match. I don't have the cash for a jpi unit or a fancy engine monitor. I actually like the old analog gauges. Of course these would need to be STC/PMA for installation.

EI are nice but you will still need fuel quantity gauges. Overhauling/repairing the existing unit is usually the best route, and the nice thing is it takes up very little panel space.

Sabremech has Mitchell gauges in his airplane and can probably send a copy of his 337 form to you or your mechanic.

I am I

N need of repairing or overhauling my existing gauges on my panel. With my plane being a 59 model what have you guys used with success that is the old 2.25" gauges. I'm looking for oil press, oil temp, fuel press, I'd like to have all of them replaced so they will match. I don't have the cash for a jpi unit or a fancy engine monitor. I actually like the old analog gauges. Of course these would need to be STC/PMA for installation.

Take a look at Mitchell Instruments. Someone here had a 337 under which they installed them.

Clarence

The A models I think were originally equipped with the single 2.25" gauges.  The cluster gauges came out in 63 or 64.

My F is equipped with all EI 2.25 gauges.  They are nice and like them.  An all in one engine monitor may be a better choice if doing all of them at the same time.

I have my gauges that were puled from my 61 C model Mooney, they worked but I never totally trusted them, You mentioned fuel pressure in your post, did you mean fuel quantity?  because the fuel pressure gauge is part of the manifold pressure gauge on mine. PM me I have all the Gauges I removed siting on the shelf, the engine cluster is perfect for rebuilding another unit.

Brian

I seem to remember some of the guys using Mitchell for replacements, or does your model year predate this type of cluster? Either way, could be an option and I seem to remember the prices being reasonable:

http://www.mitchellproducts.com/modular.htm

I have the round style gauges I have seen these id have to cut the panel to make that work. Thanks though

The A models I think were originally equipped with the single 2.25" gauges.  The cluster gauges came out in 63 or 64.

My F is equipped with all EI 2.25 gauges.  They are nice and like them.  An all in one engine monitor may be a better choice if doing all of them at the same time.

I'm thinking I'm might go with EI gauges . My fuel gauges are ok I just need engine gauges and fuel pressure. I have a carbureted engine so it's not part of my MP. They are all 2.25 round style. I like them better than the square setup just would like them to be more accurate and trustworthy.

Well I just added up three gauges and sending units and it totaled 1150.00. Pricy for 3x2.25 gauges. Does anyone use EI gauges as back up?

I switched out my MP, Tach and fuel pressure to EI units. The FP-5PL has been in there since the early 90s. They are considered primary so they can replace anything on your MEL or type certificate.

Here is a photo of the 3 EI units I have:

51ed1dd6b8c8e6efcae480bbd33671c4.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's a really clean set up! I am leaning towards replacing all of them with EI gauges one at a time. Much more cleaner look and I assume they are very accurate?

Thanks for the comments. I also have a JPI 830 in the panel, so I have a way to see RPM, MP and fuel flow on both. They match very closely to each other.

The RPM & MP have been in the panel for 2 years and the fuel totalizer has been installed for 20+. Been real happy with all of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wesley, I replaced all of the old gauges in my A model with EI units and I'm very pleased with them.  Except for the ammeter - I went with a Mitchell. The FP-5L - I couldn't imagine an airplane without one!  It will also talk to your KLN90B, if you hook it up (2 wires) and give you fuel requirements, etc. under "OTHER" pages.  My old oil pressure gauge was reading high compared to the EI.  The 2.25" tach & MP let me install more radios, so that's why I went with them.  Look at my "gallery" for photos.  Joe Philips N8335E

• Like 1