Running out of trim as speed passes 175 MPH

Hey guys.  

Just wanted to pass along what I found while searching for my "running out of trim" problem.

It would seem there was old, semi-hard grease causing an artificial stop and would not allow the trim to go fully down, or up for that matter.  Cleaned very well and re-greased.  Trim now will roll stop to stop smoothly.  I haven't had a chance to fly her to see if it fixed the problem, but the trim wheel rolls down an additional four "palm strikes" now so I have to assume all is well.

I am thinking whoever did the annual on her before I bought her may have been a little lax.

Here are the pictures of what I pulled out of the tail.

post-12242-0-32193900-1401143236_thumb.j

post-12242-0-73212400-1401143241_thumb.j

post-12242-0-51415100-1401143247_thumb.j

post-12242-0-79924800-1401143254_thumb.j

post-12242-0-07228600-1401143262_thumb.j

How exactly did you gain access to clean and re-grease?  Which inspection panel did you remove?

I need to do the exact same thing because I have the exact same issue...running out of trim at speed.

Thanks

Vic

Here are the pics of the panels I removed.

I took her out for a test flight and all is well with the trim now.  195MPH hands off!   :D

The second pic is the plate that will give you access to the jack screw.  The other one gets you to the torque tube.  The third shows the boot covering the jack screw.

post-12242-0-26170600-1401154516_thumb.j

post-12242-0-87242900-1401154526_thumb.j

post-12242-0-35653600-1401154589_thumb.j

• Like 1

Nice work. Too few mechanics take the time to clean before lube. If your mechanic doesn't have time to do this, ask him why? Perhaps he needs a helper... a great way to get intimate with your airplane and you will save money in the long run.

Thread creep alert... What circumstances led to dissaembly of the piano hinge linkage below the trim jackscrew?

• Like 1

Here are the pics of the panels I removed.

I took her out for a test flight and all is well with the trim now.  195MPH hands off!   :D

The second pic is the plate that will give you access to the jack screw.  The other one gets you to the torque tube.  The third shows the boot covering the jack screw.

PERFECT!!  Thanks! That is exactly what I needed.

-Vic

• Like 1

Nice work. Too few mechanics take the time to clean before lube. If your mechanic doesn't have time to do this, ask him why? Perhaps he needs a helper... a great way to get intimate with your airplane and you will save money in the long run.

Thread creep alert... What circumstances led to dissaembly of the piano hinge linkage below the trim jackscrew?

There are two small screws in the bottom of the boot that are all but impossible to remove without disconnecting the piano hinge. 

Yes, I plan on doing the owner assisted annuals as well as all the work to my plane under A&P supervision as all that time can be logged to getting my A&P.  I really feel, if you are mechanically inclined (i am) that an owner maintained airplane is the safest.  Simply because you don't tend to let things go until annual.

Only the owner can detect the slightest "oddity" from normal operations very early on and take care of the problem.  If nothing else, you can diagnose and possibly save some money at the shop  :)

• Like 1

There are two small screws in the bottom of the boot that are all but impossible to remove without disconnecting the piano hinge. 

Yes, I plan on doing the owner assisted annuals as well as all the work to my plane under A&P supervision as all that time can be logged to getting my A&P.  I really feel, if you are mechanically inclined (i am) that an owner maintained airplane is the safest.  Simply because you don't tend to let things go until annual.

Only the owner can detect the slightest "oddity" from normal operations very early on and take care of the problem.  If nothing else, you can diagnose and possibly save some money at the shop   :)

Ahh... right.  Screws under the hinge.

Your attitude puts you on the right track to a long and safe flying career.  Good luck on your quest for the A&P ticket!

• Like 1

There are two small screws in the bottom of the boot that are all but impossible to gt your A&P to remove without disconnecting the piano hinge. 

Only the owner can detect the slightest "oddity" from normal operations very early on and take care of the problem.  If nothing else, you can diagnose and possibly save some money at the shop  :)

How many hours do you have to put in to get your A&P? The Canadian equivalent takes 8000 hours.

Clarence

Bonal... I did check that and no play found. Thanks for the heads-up! She is very low time (1700 hours) so I didn't really expect to find any.

Clarence... I am not 100% sure! but I think it is around 3500 - 4000. With the exchange rate though, that's probably about 8000 Canadian.. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2