Newbe Looking for advise on a Mooney

flyinfool1011

A common theme that I think you'll notice is that those that learned (or are learning) in a Mooney generally take much longer to complete their training. The complexity of the aircraft hinders their ability to learn the basics required for the PPL. So the end result of that is that it'll be much more expensive to complete your training in the Mooney, even before factoring in wear and tear and operating expenses of the airframe.

You've gotten good advice on this thread, specifically from Mooney-owning CFI's.

From a high time CFI (me), I would strongly recommend all of you guys and gals that are learning to go get in a trainer for at least the primary phase when you are learning how to fly an airplane, even if you already own your own Mooney. No instructor will let you go as far and make the same mistakes in a Mooney that will be no sweat in a trainer (that's why we call them trainers). And further, until you are allowed to go far enough to make certain mistakes, you really will not learn everything you shlould know. I don't care how high time or great your CFI is, or how many hours you have in the military as a crew member, or anything else. Learning goes way up when you get to experience mistakes, as well as how it feels to do everything right.

FWIW.

I agree. I don't think any instructor will allow a student to get as deep into a stall (for example) in an M20 vs. a Cessna trainer.

Same goes for practicing engine failures (shock cooling)

Learning x-wind landings (side loads)

Learning Shotrs/"Softs" (elevated wear and tear)

...and so on.

As others have recommended, find a simple, cheap trainer and ride your learning curve out on a rental.

Don't forget to pick a Mooney when you get your certificate! I had to wait almost 6 weeks while moving money around, preparing paperwork, shopping for insurance, etc. Gave me a chance to fly off the rest of the 10-hour prepaid bundle at the FBO.