I've got a fuel tank leak....need recommendation

Earl

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick update on my fuel leak project.  Got a call from Joey yesterday and he said the plane has had fuel in it for a day and no leaking so far.  Will give it a few more days to see if it holds.  Not sure what the damage is as yet but it sounds like it was about as difficult as he expected the job to be so I am expecting to pay around $1K.  Will start accruing for a complete reseal at Weep No More and hope I have a few years or more before I need to pull that trigger.

Quote: ehscott

Quick update on my fuel leak project.  Got a call from Joey yesterday and he said the plane has had fuel in it for a day and no leaking so far.  Will give it a few more days to see if it holds.  Not sure what the damage is as yet but it sounds like it was about as difficult as he expected the job to be so I am expecting to pay around $1K.  Will start accruing for a complete reseal at Weep No More and hope I have a few years or more before I need to pull that trigger.

Quote: ehscott

Quote: Mckipper

A timely thread, I just discovered a leak when she stands with more than 15gal.  I was quoted 25 hours labour per side, so I'm looking for alternate AMO's now.

The fuel senders, I believe, are mounted on the sides of the tanks, their seals are often the source of leaks.

It is a good idea to visually inspect these seals for the source of leaks.

I hope this gives you something to consider, and some hope that your challenge isn't too big...

Best regards,

-a-

Quote: carusoam

The fuel senders, I believe, are mounted on the sides of the tanks, their seals are often the source of leaks.

It is a good idea to visually inspect these seals for the source of leaks.

I hope this gives you something to consider, and some hope that your challenge isn't too big...

Best regards,

-a-

Two weeks ago I had the vacuum pump fail on the way from AZ to CA. While the plane was sitting on the ramp at KWVI the right main tank developed a leak; it was drip-drip-drip out a weep hole until the level got lower in the tank. With the aux tank, some of the fuel will flow into the AUX so the main tank fuel level goes down in a short period of time.

The tank was not dripping or smelling when I was ready to return to AZ, so I filled the left only. I also did not turn on the wingtip strobes. Between the main and AUX there was probably 12 G left on the right side, no drip or smell. I couldn't tell if the left wing was heavy in flight; I had about 50 gallons and me on that side, and 12 on the right. It seemed normal to me,  although I was just S&L cruising to get home.

Arizona Air Craftsman at KPRC doesn't really like doing wet wing tank repairs, but they did agree to give it a shot. They talked to Don Maxwell when working on a previous Mooney and got some tips from him for finding and fixing leaks.  It took several working days to find (top seam and outboard fuel sending gasket), fix, verify, and let the sealant cure, but we have a leak free tank now. I made a quick trip to CA over the weekend, and filled both the main and aux on the right to check for leaks; everything looks good right now. 

If AAC had not been able to find or fix the leak I was going to have Paul at Weep No More reseal that tank. With four tanks to potentially reseal, it seemed like a prudent decision to do the leaking one only. If I only had two tanks I might do both to get it over with.

If this (or another leak) recurs I will probably go visit Paul for a reseal. Meanwhile, for less than the cost of ferrying the plane up to MN and the commercial tickets for drop off and picking it up later, not counting the tank reseal itself, I have a leak free tank again. For awhile. 

Arizona Aircraftsman at KPRC sure have done a good job of taking care of my previous F and now the K.

Last month was the alternator and expensive drive coupling, this month the vacuum pump and tank leak. Next month is the annual! 

Just got back from picking up the airplane from Cole Aviation.  Fun time getting into RYY as there was a TFR for an Obama fundraiser in Atlanta today.  At least I was in the outer ring so all it took was an IFR flight plan.  

This is what he ended up doing.  Resealed the entire right tank and all the screws.  He found another leak in one of the inboard tanks so he did the entire side.  Resealed all the screws on the left tank.  He said my sealant looked to be in very good condition and was optimistic this fix would last for a while.  Time will tell.  As with any stop at Cole, he also took care of a few other needed maintenance issues so the cost was a little more than expected (2 AMUs) but I am optimistic this will work for a while. 

By the way, it was the first time I have gotten into the airplane since I bought it that there was no odor of fuel.  Had always observed a slight odor in the cockpit when I opened the door that went away quickly but not today.  

I grew up in the backseat of my dad's '65 C model, and it always smelled of fuel when opening the door, along with vintage vinyl and years of "airplane" smells to boot.  My J had the same fuel smell initially, but the interior was new and smelled great after the fuel odor dissipated...the '75 F that I used in my Mooney training also had the same smell... I thought they were all that way!  ;-)  Opening the door after Paul got done with my J put a smile on my face!

It sounds like you'll probably get several years of service out of your repairs.  Good luck! 

Quote: jwilkins

Two weeks ago I had the vacuum pump fail on the way from AZ to CA. While the plane was sitting on the ramp at KWVI the right main tank developed a leak; it was drip-drip-drip out a weep hole until the level got lower in the tank. With the aux tank, some of the fuel will flow into the AUX so the main tank fuel level goes down in a short period of time.

• 2 weeks later...

My 81 J is in to have both sides stripped and resealed - left wing was weeping along the inboard inspection hatch, and under the wing.

Right wing had no signs of leakage, but while she was standing at the AMO we found fuel seeping from the belly pan.   As the left wing was empty, we looked at the right wing. She has a nice leak that is driaining directly into the cabin just in front of the back seats, and seeping down into to the belly.  When I think about all the ignition sources under there - UC motor, UC light, Strobe power unit, Aux Fuel pump,  I gained a few new grey hairs.

Some learings, 

She is washed once a week, which hid the fuel leak,

We had noticed a slow level drop on that tank, but assumed the drain value was leaking due to the lack of blue stains on the wings.  

No smell of fuel in the cabin !!! (until we lifted the carpet.)

post-501-13468141088742_thumb.jpg

post-501-13468141089165_thumb.jpg