1963 M20D/C Nose Gear Truss Dents

Hi, I currently am in the process of purchasing my first Mooney, an M20D which has been converted to a C. The prebuy has just been finished today, everything checked out reasonably well, no major standouts. I haven't gotten the official squawk sheet yet, but I did notice myself today at the shop that the upper nose gear truss has the dreaded dents, they're fairly prominent certainly past the 1/32" spec I've read here in other threads. I've researched it as much as I really can, but I am wondering if anyone can give me the specific AD number/name that describes this so I can get the wording verbatim. I tried searching, but I just cant seem to find it. 

FWIW, everybody seems to refer to the nose gear as a "truss". Actually, the nose gear comprises three parts: the upper part is the truss, the middle part is the leg, and the lower part is the spindle. It is usually the leg that gets the dents, However, if the damage is severe enough it can damage both the leg and the truss. Check the damaged parts against the IPC to determine which parts need to be replaced or repaired. If the damage is over 1/32", I would not purchase the airplane until after it was repaired. If you buy it and move it and it collapses you will be the proud owner of an expensive repair.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

When the plane is up on jacks be sure to check the spindle bolt bushing for excess wear by trying to move the nose wheel fore and aft

Excess wear is repairable

Also the bolt nut torque is covered by a service instruction for checking its torque every annual. Be advised to find the correct 

torque figure as it was changed in later years to a lower figure. It also takes a lot of grease every year in the zirc fitting. 

Are you saying that this was not identified by the technician performing the prebuy? The dents are common and easily rectified issue. However, if they were missed during prebuy, I’d have concerns about what else might have been overlooked.

3 hours ago, Shadrach said:

Are you saying that this was not identified by the technician performing the prebuy? The dents are common and easily rectified issue. However, if they were missed during prebuy, I’d have concerns about what else might have been overlooked.

I see your concern, I should clarify. When I was present for the prebuy in the shop, it was the first thing I checked (right as it rolled into the shop) since it was mentioned to me from a previous owner that it might have been dented post his ownership. Ultimately I just beat the tech to it as I had a personal checklist while they were doing other things. 

• Like 2