WTB - Truss/Leg Nosegear (Purchased one, thank you!)

I'll hopefully be closing on my first Mooney, and it needs a new nosegear truss/leg.  It is referred to as the "leg" in the parts catelog but it seems everyone else calls it the truss.  At any rate, it is commonly dented when oversteered.  It looks like LASAR can supply them, but was just curious to see if any forum member had one they would like to sell first.   This is for a 1968, and believe it or not I would prefer if it had the bracket for the damper, as the current one has it.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone who reached out to me regarding the truss!  I ended up buying a rebuilt truss from Specialized Aero.  It's supposed to arrive today.  I'll update the post with the price and pictures of the part.

• Flyler changed the title to WTB - Truss/Leg Nosegear (Purchased one, thank you!)
3 hours ago, Flyler said:

180Ksi, holy smokes that's an impressive material!  As an ex-machinist, chromoly is easily my favorite stuff. 

If you are a materials guy, can you help decode that specification.  Wild guess is 180 ksi is 180,000 psi tensile, and "rc" 38.0 to 42.0 is Rockwell "C"?  Okay, as I read this, it's a really wild guess.

2 minutes ago, Fly Boomer said:

If you are a materials guy, can you help decode that specification.  Wild guess is 180 ksi is 180,000 psi tensile, and "rc" 38.0 to 42.0 is Rockwell "C"?  Okay, as I read this, it's a really wild guess.

I know a little bit, but far from being anything close to an expert.  More like ancillary knowledge.  Your interpretation is the same as mine. KSI just means "thousand psi" so you don't have to type out the extra zeros! I would imagine it is tensile strength as well.  Steel is an amazing material as you can have such a broad range of performance properties and machineability.  Machinists love heat-treatable materials because you can work with them more easily before being hardened. Then you usually need some secondary process to true things up afterwards as it will warp a bit.  Typically grinding, but chromoly doesn't get THAT hard, sure does get strong though!

• Like 1

When you weld on metal, it changes the grain structure in random ways. This causes different hardnesses and strengths at different places in the assembly. Aside from having some areas that are weaker than others, there are higher stresses at the interfaces between high and low hardness areas of the metal. By heat treating the assembly, you are essentially making the metal the same from tube to weld to tube. This makes the strength and hardness consistent throughout the whole assembly.

• Like 2