Precise Flight PSA

If you need your SpeedBrakes overhauled, they advertise 7-10 Business Day turnaround. It’s been 10 and they say mine haven’t been touched. Plan accordingly. 

At least I can still fly it per Maxwell. 

7 hours ago, Jetpilot86 said:

If you need your SpeedBrakes overhauled, they advertise 7-10 Business Day turnaround. It’s been 10 and they say mine haven’t been touched. Plan accordingly. 

At least I can still fly it per Maxwell. 

Pages 2-10 and 2-11 of your M20M POH show what's required for VFR Day, VFR Night, IFR Day and IFR Night. There's no mention of Speed Brakes anywhere there.

They make a plate (or anyone good with sheet metal could make one) which goes over the hole on the top of the wing if you need to fly the airplane without them. 

4 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

Precise Flight is the only one that can "overhaul" them.

Yep, flat fee of $5k and turns around was definitely more than 7-10 days. 
that info is a month old. 

56 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

Pages 2-10 and 2-11 of your M20M POH show what's required for VFR Day, VFR Night, IFR Day and IFR Night. There's no mention of Speed Brakes anywhere there.

They make a plate (or anyone good with sheet metal could make one) which goes over the hole on the top of the wing if you need to fly the airplane without them. 

Going with Speed Tape per Maxwell. 

1 hour ago, M20S Driver said:

Did it go up again?  Last I heard was $2K per side.

I can’t speak to that, it’s the first time I have ever had to do anything with my speed brakes. 

3 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

Precise Flight is the only one that can "overhaul" them.

So... the plane I bought had never had the speed brakes overhauled. I was quoted (via the factory) a flat rate of $3999 to have them serviced/overhauled/upgreened. Apparently this, rather than a more discrete service quote, was due to their never having been serviced. 
The issue that prompted the question was intermittent slight protrusion of the starboard brake on retraction. The recommended action is to send the controller (central) and both brakes in for service. 

These had already been greased as recommended during recent annual. 

I have read of lots of folks cleaning or adjusting the microswitches, doing other things, all reasonable, on their own. 

I don't really know what's required, vs. what a person (unknighted), or an A&P can do. I get the sense the solution may be simpler in many cases but the factory prefers a flat-rate "green up". 

Better data and opinions welcome.

D

9 minutes ago, dkkim73 said:

So... the plane I bought had never had the speed brakes overhauled. I was quoted (via the factory) a flat rate of $3999 to have them serviced/overhauled/upgreened. Apparently this, rather than a more discrete service quote, was due to their never having been serviced. 
The issue that prompted the question was intermittent slight protrusion of the starboard brake on retraction. The recommended action is to send the controller (central) and both brakes in for service. 

I have read of lots of folks cleaning or adjusting the microswitches, doing other things, all reasonable, on their own. 

I don't really know what's required, vs. what a person (unknighted), or an A&P can do. I get the sense the solution may be simpler in many cases but the factory prefers a flat-rate "green up". 

D

Could be something as simple as the retract spring.

38 minutes ago, Jetpilot86 said:

Mine is $2k for the set. Electric version. 

You have to do both at the same time. 

Mine is electric too.  Are they overhauling both or one? 

I read it was $4k in another post here.   I think $2k is very fair for two units. 

23 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

Could be something as simple as the retract spring.

That is a good point! Given that it mostly retracts, are you thinking it's weak? (vs. being broken which I think might be more obvious)

D

Which factory? Not Mooney, contact Precise Flight directly.

1 hour ago, M20S Driver said:

Mine is electric too.  Are they overhauling both or one? 

I read it was $4k in another post here.   I think $2k is very fair for two units. 

One needs it. It’s not working. The other one is fine. However, Precise Flight wants them both at the same time and both are overhauled. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

Which factory? Not Mooney, contact Precise Flight directly.

Mooney had the plane and called Precise Flight, who wanted $4K to do both at once with the controller box. 

It sounded as if they used to do more of a gradation of work but have moved to flat rate, at least for boxes they haven't seen recently. 

Mooney had the plane and called Precise Flight, who wanted $4K to do both at once with the controller box. 
It sounded as if they used to do more of a gradation of work but have moved to flat rate, at least for boxes they haven't seen recently. 

6 months ago I had my 100 series (no controller, only a relay) overhauled for $2K.

Mach tape covers the cutout in the top wing skin, cleaning and re-greasing the worm gear can't hurt, if that does not fix the problem and nothing jumps out at the OP when cycling the removed speed brakes it might be time to bite the bullet and send to precise flight for IRAN or overhaul.