CHT temps

5 hours ago, Wingover said:

I wanted to revive this thread as I went flying again and after landing I looked inside the cowl to find the rear seal folded back from the wind pressure.  I am wondering if the material is too thin or not long enough that it blows back.  What thickness do more of you use/have?

Five things to think about:
1) The baffles -- how close to the cowling are they before the baffle seals were added?
2) The "width" of the baffle seals.
3) The thickness of the baffle seals (you have already identified this as a potential issue).
4) The age of the baffle seals.
5) The material of the baffle seals.

2 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

I used 3/32”, which was much thicker than the original.

I think mine is the same or 1/8”.  What are the reasons mine flips back?  Too short (on height) ?

27 minutes ago, Fly Boomer said:

Five things to think about:
1) The baffles -- how close to the cowling are they before the baffle seals were added?
2) The "width" of the baffle seals.
3) The thickness of the baffle seals (you have already identified this as a potential issue).
4) The age of the baffle seals.
5) The material of the baffle seals.

Here is s picture where you can see a “fold forward” in the corner which is a separate issue from the rear folding back. Gives a bit of an answer for #1

Seals are 1 month old and made of silicon 

37BE3673-C5BD-4296-8271-337FAE0974D6.jpeg

1 minute ago, Wingover said:

Here is s picture where you can see a “fold forward” in the corner which is a separate issue from the rear folding back. Gives a bit of an answer for #1

Oh yeah, that needs to be fixed.  Silicone and one-month-old sounds good.  Maybe just a little adjustment by whoever installed them?

1 hour ago, Wingover said:

It looks like you have a fastener holding the two pieces of gasket together right where they're folding down.   Take that fastener out and they'll be able to slide across each other and seal that hole.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wingover said:

As eric said, there should be slits at the corners that will allow the joint to lay flat.  It probably won’t ever be 100% perfectly sealed but that’s a good size leak.  Your baffling may be a bit short if it’s able to fold back with the cowling on.  If you put on the cowl, can you reach in the oil door or intake and move it back/forth?  Once mine is folded forward during cowl installation, it it too long to be folded back.

10 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

As eric said, there should be slits at the corners that will allow the joint to lay flat.  It probably won’t ever be 100% perfectly sealed but that’s a good size leak.  Your baffling may be a bit short if it’s able to fold back with the cowling on.  If you put on the cowl, can you reach in the oil door or intake and move it back/forth?  Once mine is folded forward during cowl installation, it it too long to be folded back.

Yes, the fold is "easy" to fix.  I reached in from the front intake with my hand and was able to pull the top back forward so I guess it is too short?

• Like 2

On 3/16/2024 at 4:07 PM, Wingover said:

I can’t remember for sure but maybe 50f.  Was told not to run on the lean side since the engine is new. Give it time before flying LOP.

I was interested in this. How many hours on the new engine? Asking because during break-in the temps will come down eventually, and won't always do so evenly. If the engine is still breaking in, then give it some time. Temps don't look bad to me.

5 minutes ago, jlunseth said:

I was interested in this. How many hours on the new engine? Asking because during break-in the temps will come down eventually, and won't always do so evenly. If the engine is still breaking in, then give it some time. Temps don't look bad to me.

Yes, I am not concern with the temps so much anymore but the seal flapping backwards is not correct and I want to fix it.  Trying to find what would make the most sense as corrective action.