Today’s Flight - 2024

Over Big Horn Canyon dam and national recreation area, SE of Billings (great local sight seeing route on the way to Cody WY). 

My wife's first flight in the new plane: 

image.jpeg.36c91dcf789c44daa1e1e95b9f75a996.jpeg

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Fly Boomer said:

You must really, really want her to like your new toy!  :D

LOL, exactly so. I think she liked the idea of my flying the plane by myself (and with an instructor) for a while. We flew together back in the day, incl. in C-182 in the mountains when our son was very small, but nothing recently. 

I picked a very smooth, beautiful day, and we got back before the convection moved in. 

And, to clarify, the airplane is a thoughtful investment to improve commuting ability, not a toy. Really. Pinky swear. I tell you, truly. *

(*bridge for sale in classifieds)

• Haha 1

Took Mooney for family camping during airshow at OldWarden (EGTH)

Followed by goodbye to Daks (DC3 and C47) on their way to Cherbourg 

Screenshot_20240604_212909_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240604_212717_Gallery.jpg

"Then, it's a dogfight" :lol:

Screenshot_20240604_212805_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Ibra
  • Like 6

Mooney over Mars?

Taken two weeks ago between Cortez, Colorado, and Moab, Utah, at 12,500 ft on a flight from Los Alamos (LAM) to South Valley Regional (U42) just south of SLC.   Looking west, showing where the Colorado River has dissected the Colorado Plateau.  If you enlarge it, the blue patch in at the right-edge of the photo is the potash mine on the bank of the Colorado River just west of Moab.  I flew a total of 25 hours on this trip!

IMG_5466.JPEG

• Like 5

We finally had a day without rain and I headed up to Memmingen, Germany. Look who else was visiting! Placid Lassie... They were skydiving out of her. The pilot sounded American. Plus my token pic of Zurich, Zurich Airport and what is visible of the Alps. I must have taken this photo 100 times on 50 different flights, but each time I'm there, I just can't resist it.

Placid Lassie.jpeg

EDJA 180624.jpeg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Sue Bon said:

We finally had a day without rain and I headed up to Memmingen, Germany. Look who else was visiting! Placid Lassie

We saw them in UK (EGTH & EGSX) and France (LFRK), it's impressive that they fly every year on tour in good shape: kudos to all volonteers, pilots and mechanics ! 

I think they are heading to Venize LIPV this weekend

D50ED7DF-1223-4B40-9E9D-B2F894C543DA.jpeg.6cd1d39592ce14be33e45ed7beb50721.jpeg

Edited by Ibra
  • Like 4

Flying out of Wenatchee (KEAT) while on a family gathering trip, first flight with my son. We flew out over the Grand Coulee Dam, Banks and Roosevelt Lakes, and the airport out there (3W7). Props to @Ragsf15e for the local brief and suggestions! 

IMG_20240622_163431_818 copy 2.jpeg

IMG_20240624_124018_766 copy.jpeg

IMG_20240624_124025_644 copy.jpg

Edited by dkkim73
Edit to fix image rotation permance.
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, Sue Bon said:

How did he like it?

Quite well, I think! It was his first GA flight (not counting a turbine seaplane ride some years ago). He'd flown the C172 in a simulator some years ago and knew some of the basic ideas. We were VFR in a mostly uncrowded area most of the time, so he hand-flew a big segment (pretty good altitude management). Also great eyes and situational awareness so he took to traffic-spotting and planning on the way in. He's in college now but I've encouraged him to take some basic ground school and at least the pre-solo part of primary training. 

There was a little C152 orbiting north of town doing "data collection". It turns out he was reading residential meters with a VFR suitcase rig! I suppose when check-hauling goes away, other things replace it. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Ominous looking 13k peaks across the valley from kmmh as we got ready to depart this morning.  Took off at ~745 am and the DA was already 8800’!  Planned a short flight, so we only had 30gallons of fuel and she climbed out real nice even with four of us plus baggage!

IMG_7627.jpeg.80e64c1de02598dcef0528bbdaef7add.jpeg

Edited by Ragsf15e
  • Like 8

We had one M20E visiting France from Canada, we helped with oil change and had a lengthy chat about the adventure.

The kid was impressed that "small Mooney" can fly over Atlantic ! 

Screenshot_20240709_095115_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Ibra
  • Like 5

This weekend trip to UK visiting Oxford and then RIAT at RAF Fairford, interesting line up this year with visiting F16s from dozens of allies air forces, the British weather did not cooperate for “proper 3D display”, so they flew “2D figures” 

Not as exciting as camping between propellers in Oshkosh :D

713D1CD9-B74D-417E-A022-57B0B7612662.jpeg

D8977F01-DD33-4FF4-A16E-29E457D70879.jpeg

2A99FEF1-A74F-40B4-BC3C-4EC76EE847D7.jpeg

D578598E-EB6F-498A-AF14-6D985B8604A3.jpeg

Edited by Ibra
  • Like 8

I flew to Grenoble, France (LFLS) to test it as a possibility for my upcoming IR/SEP check flight. It won't work for the check flight, but I had some great views of Mont Blanc and Geneva. The French Air Force was also landing there, which was really cool.

LFLS.jpeg

Genf.jpeg

Mont Blanc.jpeg

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Sue Bon said:

I flew to Grenoble, France (LFLS) to test it as a possibility for my upcoming IR/SEP check flight. 

For most of us, I would say you should go ski there! But you probably have lots of great skiing at home! :)

• Like 1

On 7/25/2024 at 6:18 PM, Sue Bon said:

I had some great views of Mont Blanc and Geneva

Examiner: this is IFR, you are not supposed to look outside, student: the views are irresistible :ph34r: 

Good luck with the test ! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Fly Boomer said:

Lots of delightful things about Lyon -- now I can add the airport identifier to the list.

Haha! You quoted me before I deleted my post, but yes, you are right. Lyon is lovely :) and has the best identifier for any airport IMO. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

If you’re flying out west right now, you’re gonna want a turbo, but not for the usual reason (to get over the mountains!)… almost all of Oregon and northern Nevada was smoke up to 11-14000’.  For fun, look at how many tfrs are in central Oregon!  Many of them up to 11,000’.  It gets higher east towards Boise.  We flew 525nm from Spokane to Carson City NV into a headwind and forced to slowly climb to try to stay out of the smoke.  The F is pretty awesome, but she was tapped out at 14,500’ (4 people plus bags, 2700lbs on departure).  Density altitude was 15,900’! It’s also slower up there and the hw just made it worse.

IMG_7753.jpeg.c5daa5e94d148d1f99c4e4780ebbfae2.jpeg

IMG_7756.jpeg.ebb544e87bbe4af0accc22f7ffb9416c.jpeg

hazy Reno international in the center.

IMG_7761.jpeg.d9828e37925da8513c59cd32657ed7cc.jpeg

Edited by Ragsf15e
  • Sad 2