Flew in a Mooney Rocket!!!

LFOD

I took a .5 hour flight in a Mooney Rocket this weekend and I can't get the damn smile off of my face.  Unbelievable performance (and fuel burn)!  The engine was so smooth and climbing though 14K at 1300FPM was quite an experience. We then leveled off and accelerated to 190KTAS.   I could get used to that...

Sweet plane, but if you're gonna upgrade for speed, I'd go for an Ovation or M20K (252 or Encore).  You get the same speed (185+ KTAS) and you can get FIKI...which you and I would both like.

In the mean time, you and I both know we have one of the lowest cost per mile airplanes out there...and much less expensive overhauls.

Quote: Parker_Woodruff

Sweet plane, but if you're gonna upgrade for speed, I'd go for an Ovation or M20K (252 or Encore).  You get the same speed (185+ KTAS) and you can get FIKI...which you and I would both like.

In the mean time, you and I both know we have one of the lowest cost per mile airplanes out there...and much less expensive overhauls.

Quote: LFOD

Parker, 

Im thinking the rocket would give you about 20 more knots then that.  It would make sense to buy one with a non FIKI TKS just in case you happen to run into ice (wink wink) In fact, the only other rocket on the market is in Iowa and is just so equipped.  Cost per mile? If I cared about that I would drive everywhere Wink.  I love the M20J, but it would not be the American way to be satisfied with what you have Sealed.  Couple of more trips overseas and a Rocket becomes a possibility.  I liked your video that was circulating on Facebook, BTW.  

I think the final post on the Mooney Missile discussion was that Rocket Engineering was at the end of supporting the existing planes.  Though they still offer an "if you want it price". 

I think the larger issues are the concern for sheet metal fatigue on the horizontal stabilizer caused by forces from the larger engine, and nose wheel damage from supporting extra bouncing landing weight. 

One wise opinion called the conversion a possible can of worms. 

There is one missle owner on this board.  He has a plane up in cape cod.  Can we inspire him to chime in?

If you gentlemen have the connections with the Rocket Man,  Could you ascertain an owner's perspective on real maintenance issues and costs.

I seriously considered a 201/missile conversion, but could not find further maintenance insight.

-a-

• 2 months later...

I owned a Rocket, N231NH, for 8 years. Sold it March of 03. I flew it over 650 hours as a Rocket and about 100 before conversion as a stock 231. Flight planned 200 Knots at 20 GPH at 12,000'. Faster at higher altitudes, over 20,000' TAS over 230. Biggest advantage is the ability to climb. At light weights I have seen 1400' per min at 26,000. They will lift more than a TLS and climb faster doing it. A rocket is a M20K with a Continental TSIO-520-NB in place of the TSIO-360-**. The engine prop combination came from the Cessna 340. It is turbocharged and uses a full feathering 3 bladed prop. A Missile is a M20J with a Continental IO550 in place of the Lycoming IO-360. I currently own a 1990 M20J MSE. I miss the speed but not the 20GPH. The J does 155-160 Knots at 8GPH.

Quote: RJBrown

I owned a Rocket, N231NH, for 8 years. Sold it March of 03. I flew it over 650 hours as a Rocket and about 100 before conversion as a stock 231. Flight planned 200 Knots at 20 GPH at 12,000'. Faster at higher altitudes, over 20,000' TAS over 230. Biggest advantage is the ability to climb. At light weights I have seen 1400' per min at 26,000. They will lift more than a TLS and climb faster doing it. A rocket is a M20K with a Continental TSIO-520-NB in place of the TSIO-360-**. The engine prop combination came from the Cessna 340. It is turbocharged and uses a full feathering 3 bladed prop. A Missile is a M20J with a Continental IO550 in place of the Lycoming IO-360. I currently own a 1990 M20J MSE. I miss the speed but not the 20GPH. The J does 155-160 Knots at 8GPH.

• 2 weeks later...

I love my Rocket!!!  I flight plan 200 Knots at 21 GPH at 12-13K ft and 220 Knots at 18K ft.  Initial climb is 1,500-2,000 ft/min with 1,000-1,500 ft/min to forever (at a cost of 31 GPH).  The conversion is very well done and of high quality.  I have had vero problems getting parts or support from Rocket Engineering (nothing major needed).  The 310 HP TSIO-520 NB is such a smooth/strong engine and very well supported.  It sounds great and tells others it is ready to go somewhere quickly!  The negatives that I can think of (and all planes have them) are its thirst for fuel, cowl fitment (it was shortened one inch and has a bump-out for one of the cylinders), a very cramped engine compartment and a poor performing cabin heater (Rocket has a mod for this).  I have not seen any wear on my tail that I have not seen on other Mooneys.  The trim link that wears out on all Mooneys probably could have been engineered more durable (I am far from being an engineer though).  As far as wear from additional weight on the nose wheel, I have seen none.  I would believe good piloting skills and faithful airspeed management will keep all of our Mooneys from damaging our flying carpets (landing gear, fuel tanks, props/engines, and tails!).  I believe stock 201s and 231s (the later if you fly high) to be the most economical bang (speed) for the buck (cost) in the Mooney line, but didn't mind the additional expense when I bought N231BG!  If you're in the area, I'll give you a ride so you can see what I mean...   

Quote: LFOD

I dont know anything about the TSIOL 55AIG, but this link will explain the Rocket and Missile. 

http://www.rocketengineering.com/products.html

They are located in Spokane, which is a quick flight. Im thinking about going out there tomorrow and talking to them, I heard they are a good bunch of guys. 

• 1 year later...

I have owned a 201 model for 22 years and recently took a ride in a Rocket - just for fun - compliments of a friend. Wow, what a rush, impressive, and unbelievable speeds. Like its speed, I went out and purchased a 1980 Rocket the very next week with a brand new Victor Black II Edition engine. For limited payloads, this is the ultimate personal aircraft. More to post as I learn more about this exciting time machine!

Just for my education: has anyone ever offered a turbine conversion for late model Mooneys?  I recall that it's been done on the Bonanza/A36, and was STCd; it's the natural question for those of us who cannot get enough speed.

For the record, I've got more speed than should even HAVE, but:  a boy can dream...

Quote: rocketman

I have owned a 201 model for 22 years and recently took a ride in a Rocket - just for fun - compliments of a friend. Wow, what a rush, impressive, and unbelievable speeds. Like its speed, I went out and purchased a 1980 Rocket the very next week with a brand new Victor Black II Edition engine. For limited payloads, this is the ultimate personal aircraft. More to post as I learn more about this exciting time machine!

Quote: orangemtl

Just for my education: has anyone ever offered a turbine conversion for late model Mooneys?  I recall that it's been done on the Bonanza/A36, and was STCd; it's the natural question for those of us who cannot get enough speed.

For the record, I've got more speed than should even HAVE, but:  a boy can dream...

Quote: aviatoreb

Hey Rocketman - Good for you and welcome to the club!  Funny your tagline since the week after I got my rocket back in April, my wife got me one of those Sportys hats with a little Mooney stiched into it, my tail number, and the line "rocketman" - so my wife thinks I'm rocketman!

Ditto on the welcome, BUT.......

....are you sure about your wife's thinking, because just maybe Ron lives in NY Wink

Thanks to Socata being about 100 yards from my hanger, I've got some hours in the TBM 700 and 850. A truly wonderful, fast, pricey, airplane, that handles much like a Mooney and has about the same amount of room in the first row.