Blackstone revisited

rotorman

I had email from them after sending an inquiry. The answer was that the length of time varies with the season. In summer, she said they get more samples with boating season and other RVs. In winter the turnaround time is much faster.

I received mine and my after 120 hrs on the rebuilt IO360 A3D. This is the 6th report flagging Chrome staying high at 10 vs normal 2 and nickel at 5 vs normal 1.  The report states possible excessive wear on chrome plated piston rings and nickel exhaust valve guides. Neither of these are on an upward trend and oil usage is very low. The filter associated with this oil sample had no metal.  Any opinions on on whether this is cause for alarm?

On my 182, I've been getting high chrome (Chrome cylinders), so during this annual I asked for them to look for what was going on.  They found two things.  #1: Rings on one cylinder were frozen together and scraping the cylinder sides as well as allowing a lot of blow-by and oil consumption.   #2: The exhaust valve guide on another cylinder had excessive wear.   So I replaced one set of rings and the entire other cylinder rather than just the valve guide.    

After 6 hours on the new oil, it's not totally black like it used to be after the first 30 minutes.  So far so good.

I always keep a record of the tracking number. I’ve noticed a lot of delay is the Post Office delivery. Also, If I have a question, I phone them. They answer the phone immediately but email can take awhile. 

1 hour ago, PT20J said:

Almost as slow as FedEx ground :P

I have had two packages by FedEx ground that took over 2 months to arrive. What is a bigger laugh is FedEx ground driver has a "file photo" of my mail box he puts in to the delivery notice data base even though he did not deliver the package and the package is not in the photo. When I showed the meta data tag to FedEx they said, "Well that can be manipulated". Then I said, "Why are two different deliveries have the same "manipulated data in the same photo"? They still assured me they delivered. That was bad enough but when that FedEx Ground delivery driver murdered that little girl in Texas, and now FedEx is fighting the family for liability, if my only choice is FedEx for shipping, I choose another vendor.

Yes, it’s sad because FedEx used to be so good. According to Wikipedia, their motto has changed over time and each change seems to further deemphasize timeliness:

"When it Absolutely, Positively has to be there overnight" – 1978–1983. "It's not Just a Package, It's Your Business" – 1987–1988. "Our Most Important Package is Yours" – 1991–1994. "Absolutely, Positively Anytime" – 1995.

Perhaps they should update it to “Absolutely, Positively Sometime.“

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, PT20J said:

Yes, it’s sad because FedEx used to be so good. According to Wikipedia, their motto has changed over time and each change seems to further deemphasize timeliness:

"When it Absolutely, Positively has to be there overnight" – 1978–1983. "It's not Just a Package, It's Your Business" – 1987–1988. "Our Most Important Package is Yours" – 1991–1994. "Absolutely, Positively Anytime" – 1995.

Perhaps they should update it to “Absolutely, Positively Sometime.“

Use Jiffy Express!

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, GeeBee said:

That was bad enough but when that FedEx Ground delivery driver murdered that little girl in Texas, and now FedEx is fighting the family for liability, if my only choice is FedEx for shipping, I choose another vendor.

FedEx Ground drivers don't work for FedEx, they are contractors.

But I also try to avoid them.  They tend to put packages at my detached garage, leaning against the garage door versus walking 20 - 30 feet and putting them on the covered porch like most other delivery drivers.

1 hour ago, Pinecone said:

FedEx Ground drivers don't work for FedEx, they are contractors.

But I also try to avoid them.  They tend to put packages at my detached garage, leaning against the garage door versus walking 20 - 30 feet and putting them on the covered porch like most other delivery drivers.

I am aware of that and that is why I am down on them. They proudly put "FedEx" on the side of their trucks, and when things are good FedEx takes the credit, when it goes bad, FedEx ghosts you with the "contractor excuse". It may be a Pinto but that blue oval says "Ford" so they need to man up.

The mail is slow and sometimes things get lost, so if it is really important to you to get quick turnaround, I’d pay to send it UPS red or blue. 

Personally, I change oil two or three times a year and so it is months between samples and I don’t sweat a few weeks getting the results. 

Skip