Sun n Fun 2022 Who's going?

I'll be there and doing four presentations that are posted on the SUN 'n FUN daily schedule. Feel free to stop by the SiriusXM tent. I will be hanging out there from time to time from Wednesday to Friday to answer any questions you may have. I will also be at the Society of Aviation and Flight Educators (SAFE) booth in Hangar A on Wednesday 3 - 4 pm, Thursday 3 - 4 pm and Friday 9 - 10 am. Stop by and say hello!

SnF-Schedule.png.cbc1b7c3d09adcc166012af96087368a.png

I’ll most likely go as I now live near there, I didn’t last year as my knees were too bad to make the walk, but I think my new ones may.

I’ve gone driving, aircraft camping and just fly in for the day and RV camping.

But you don’t really experience Sun-N-Fun if your not aircraft camping, so for any torn between motel and aircraft camping, I heavily recommend pitching a tent, your immersed in it then and see a whole lot more

Shoot your approach slow, your in traffic with everything from cubs to Bonanza’s, and your spot landing on a colored dot, so it’s way easier to do that if your slow and flying on power as opposed to a power off glide, then even after your down once you get in the grass be careful of your prop especially if it’s rained recently. The big motor guys may be better off either parking at the FBO or daily parking used to be on the apron, maybe you can stay and pay the daily rate? Never asked.

Bring good tie downs, if you don’t your buying their dog screw ones, the sand requires good ones to work, and severe Thunderstorms are possible, aircraft have been wind damaged in the past.

On edit, if your not comfortable spot landing, go practice it before you go. Too many Mooney’s have proposed and bent props trying to land on the dot.

Edited by A64Pilot

12 hours ago, cferr59 said:

I will be there camping in vintage.

One word of advice (which applies in general): Don't be afraid to go around. You won't need to do the arrival again, they will take you around the pattern and fit you in.

been there done that go-around,

• Like 1

I'll be there as a first-timer, flying into Winter Haven and staying at a hotel in Lakeland with a rental car.

Suggestions welcome on what to prioritize as a newbie!

If you'd like an easier way to look at the online schedule in advance, check out what I did here that lets you import it into your own calendar app: https://snf.hrivnak.org/

On 4/4/2022 at 8:26 PM, Parker_Woodruff said:

Will be in hangar A all week.

Booked the brand new Best Western well in advance.

I should be open for a dinner or two if anyone is up for it.

I stoped by Sat. and your A gunner told me you were out to lunch.  Guess I missed the boat!

I went up for the day on Saturday in a friends Skylane, since he has a dozen shows under his belt and knows the procedure very well. This was my first time flying in and it was quite an interesting experience. We entered the holding area above Lake Hancock, flying just hundreds of feet away from the plane in front of us, around and around. There must have been 20 planes flying circles around the lake. Once the airport opened, we flew to the power plant and followed the Bonanza in front of us all the way to downwind, base and final, where we aimed for the orange circle, again just feet away from the plane in front of us, all while taxiing at high speed until the end of the runway.

Getting out was just as exhilarating. Once the airshow finished at 5:00, it was a made rush to get out of there. As we lined up to get to the active, I stopped counting at 55 planes ahead of us. We were marshaled onto the runway, two abreast with two planes directly in front of us. Since the takeoffs were staggered, it posed no problems.

I must say, the controllers that the airport uses for the event are the cream of the crop.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

Note to self.. next time bring ear plugs for demonstrations that utilize afterburners.

Ha.  I always found the Aero Shell AT6 Texans to be more effective conversation enders.  The afterburner zombies are gone in a flash.  The T6 prop noise is painfully long-duration.  Earplugs for sure!

-dan

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

But if I had my druthers, I’d listen the the low frequency rumble of radial engines all day. The B-29 was a real treat. 

For sure.  But on the T6, it is that inescapable, piercing prop noise.  

• 1 year later...

I'll be there Thursday-Sunday. Flying in with the Mooney and plan to park it at Vintage and AirBnb not too far away (seems like 20-30 min).

Any tips for flying the approach? 100kt is pretty slow, but 150kt would mean pushing it (not that it should matter for the duration of the approach)?

2 hours ago, iamit said:

I'll be there Thursday-Sunday. Flying in with the Mooney and plan to park it at Vintage and AirBnb not too far away (seems like 20-30 min).

Any tips for flying the approach? 100kt is pretty slow, but 150kt would mean pushing it (not that it should matter for the duration of the approach)?

Go out and practice 100kts in advance. Some people just put the gear down, but I've managed 100kts pretty easily with gear up on similar arrivals. That's pretty close to most people's clean downwind speed anyway. On a long arrival like SnF or especially OSH, I find that approach flaps helps reduce speed a little, but more importantly lowers the nose enough to give better forward visibility.

Be prepared for the plane ahead of you to go much slower than 100kts. And they might deviate from the lateral course. Mentally be prepared to break out and go back to the beginning even if it's not your fault.

If you have a passenger, brief them in advance to get them involved in watching nearby traffic.

Personally I'm happy to fly into a nearby airport and rent a car there, without the insanity of the SnF arrival. Some people like the challenge, but I've checked it off the list and am happy enough staying out of all that traffic.

I'll fly in Thursday (planning for Tampa Exec) and be at the show Friday and Saturday. Looks like the weather should deliver plenty of "Sun"!

• Like 1