Here we go with the Alpha Aviation shoulder harness install

On 7/25/2020 at 11:59 AM, cctsurf said:

I've never heard of an stc for installing the rear shoulder harnesses...  My understanding is that the cage is not located correctly for that install...  I hope I'm wrong, because I would love to have rear shoulder harnesses.

I'd love to know how you accomplished it. (especially getting the bracket around the tube once the aluminum box was cut)  I've heard that the cage is so close to the skin and window that people have had to remove windows or slide the bracket down from the top to install...  That seems impossible with the aluminum box.  I looked at that myself and wondered what to do.

Another issue on my 'C is that the ELT is mounted almost exactly where the shoulder harness would mount...  I think I've heard about moving it to the rear of the window...

Really want the shoulder harnesses...Never want to use them.

Had to grind down one side of the bracket.  Then a little motivation with a rubber hammer allowed it to slide between skin and tube.  It is tight.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hi All

I have fixed shoulder straps fitted to my aircraft. I am not sure whether if these were factory fit or a retrofit. I have just received two inertia reel sets from Alpha

From what I see the Alpha minor change kit utilises a clamp secured onto the cage tubing and the bolt is secured by a nut which obviously is tightened before the trim is refitted.

Can anyone tell me what secures the bolt with a factory fitted shoulder strap restraint eg is it a captive nut, an anchor nut or a clamp similar to the Alpha system.

Cheers

BW

10 hours ago, Barneyw said:

Hi All

I have fixed shoulder straps fitted to my aircraft. I am not sure whether if these were factory fit or a retrofit. I have just received two inertia reel sets from Alpha

From what I see the Alpha minor change kit utilises a clamp secured onto the cage tubing and the bolt is secured by a nut which obviously is tightened before the trim is refitted.

Can anyone tell me what secures the bolt with a factory fitted shoulder strap restraint eg is it a captive nut, an anchor nut or a clamp similar to the Alpha system.

Cheers

BW

The nut is not secured before fitting the trim. The nut is under the trim and the bolt is torqued from the cabin after everything is loosely fitted. See Alpha’s instructions. Some folks have tack welded the nut to the clamp to make life easier. You can probably accomplish the same with a bead of epoxy as long as you ensure that none gets between the mating services of the nut and the clamp. I just used a box end wrench and patience.

FYI, installing an inertia reel on the copilot’s side impedes access to the rear seat. It’s not terrible but it’s a bulky box sticking into the path of entry. Passengers will repeatedly knock the cover trim off the reel getting in and out.
For this reason, it’s pretty common these days to utilize a fixed harness for the copilot and an inertia reel for the pilot.

• Thanks 1

I just had shoulder belts installed at annual.  I had no interest in tackling that job.  Glad to have them installed.  Good for any that are up to undertaking that job.  That clamp is TIGHT to get around that tube.

4 hours ago, Echo said:

I just had shoulder belts installed at annual.  I had no interest in tackling that job.  Glad to have them installed.  Good for any that are up to undertaking that job.  That clamp is TIGHT to get around that tube.

Curious how many hours of labor you were charged?

I look back on how long it took me to do the job and suspect you made the right call!

On 6/19/2024 at 11:17 PM, MikeOH said:

I look back on how long it took me to do the job and suspect you made the right call!

Good question.  I have invoice in plane.  I will review and get back to you with number.  He did NOT like doing the job.  :) 

• Thanks 1

The FAA published an AC about shoulder harnesses and it basically said it’s a minor alteration unless you make major changes to the airframe.  And even if the mounting point doesn’t meet the pull requirements it’s better than not having it. 

• Like 1

On 6/20/2024 at 12:17 AM, MikeOH said:

I did pilot and passenger side in an afternoon. As I recall, it was not that big of a deal. Probably helped that I had recent experience R&Ring the interior trim. If I recall correctly I fitted everything up with the bolt backwards. I then removed the belt bracket and used the bolt end to make a witness mark on the trim for drilling.

12 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

I did pilot and passenger side in an afternoon. As I recall, it was not that big of a deal. Probably helped that I had recent experience R&Ring the interior trim. If I recall correctly I fitted everything up with the bolt backwards. I then removed the belt bracket and used the bolt end to make a witness mark on the trim for drilling.

Well, I guess you're just a better mechanic than I am.  If we assume that everyone is as good as you are then I suppose it's "not that big of a deal."

Speaking, however, as a child of a lesser god, putting in the bracket on the pilot side was a total nightmare.  Passenger side not that bad.  And, removal of and drilling holes in the trim was also not an issue.

So, gentle reader, make sure you can look in the mirror and know you are at least as good as Shadrach before you start:D

23 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

I did pilot and passenger side in an afternoon. As I recall, it was not that big of a deal. 

7 minutes ago, MikeOH said:

Well, I guess you're just a better mechanic than I am.  If we assume that everyone is as good as you are then I suppose it's "not that big of a deal."

Speaking, however, as a child of a lesser god, putting in the bracket on the pilot side was a total nightmare.  Passenger side not that bad.  And, removal of and drilling holes in the trim was also not an issue.

So, gentle reader, make sure you can look in the mirror and know you are at least as good as Shadrach before you start:D

Everything I've read prior today has talked about the unholy terrors caused by the pilot-side bracket installation, and the enhancements made to the installer's vocabulary . . . .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeOH said:

I’m not suggesting that I’m a better mechanic than you. I am suggesting that having recently refreshed the interior, likely made it easier. Pilot side was a pain in the ass but it was not an all day affair.

I will also add that I did the job in freezing weather, which was a bad idea and is the reason there is a 2” stop drilled crack at the front of the left passenger side window.

1 hour ago, Hank said:

Everything I've read prior today has talked about the unholy terrors caused by the pilot-side bracket installation, and the enhancements made to the installer's vocabulary . . . .

I opened the clamp pretty wide to fish it through. It was not easy by any means but was easier after aggressively opening the clamp.