Fire extinguishers, yes ,no ,maybe

Fire extinguishers , yes ,no, maybe  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Fire extinguishers , yes ,no, maybe

Well, I 've flown lots of different airplanes without a fire extinguisher, and never given it a thought. I once had a radio go TU while VFR on top over Arkansas, stinky electrical smell , turned the master off no further problems. I was young and invulnerable then. I pulled all the fuses and sorted it out the radio had evidently gotten wet at the last lay over for weather and actually worked until well enroute. Strange it shoud frighten me now some thirty years later.

I feel every hanger should have one or two.  I have mixed feeling about it in the plane.  I would use it in the air only as a very last resort.  Pulling the lever on a dry chemical one would while in the air would not be pretty. However having one available in the plane could very easily save the plane or passenger after an emergency landing.

I would be very careful with a used halon bottle...just how old, how full, and what type of halon is in it?

I keep a bottle in my hanger, but wouldn't have one in my plane. Many years ago I had an inadvertent discharge in a new plane I was ferrying. The cockpit fogged up immediately...thick IMC, and breathing was very difficult for a minute or 50 ;-) Plus, I didn't know what was happening at first.

Funny how many of these topics pop up right after a recent video or article; AOPA for this subject, I think.

I think folks are confusing the different types of fire extinquishers...dry chemical blows a cloud of white dust...very messy and due to the alkinline chemical will attack avionics...Co2...very cold fog/snow erupting all over...would ifr the cabin...Halon...colorless,oderless gas that is inert and smothers the flame by displacing oxygen...most expensive but also the type supplied by Mooney for my Bravo.I have had to use all three to extinquish model turbine fires....co2 worked the fastest while halon was the most expensive to replace...norefill...personally I am glad one is back there in the little recess in front of the back seat...kp couch

For what it is worth: I have a large Halon unit in my hangar, along with a larger dry chemical extinguisher.  I have a fairly good size Halon unit between the seats in my M20J, and a small "personal size" Halon unit in the rear of one of the front seats where I can easily grab it.  I really like Halon, old or new formulation, and if you saw a demonstration of how well it works, I think you would agree it is very much worthwhile.  I have also seen the damage a dry chemical extinguisher can do to electronics. An employee destroyed the usefulness of a brand new photocopier when he fired it at a smouldering piece of paper that was not really on fire, and could have been pulled free. 

So I see after  googling Halon...about a couple hundred types and yes not only does it smother the fire but reacts with o2 at the flame interface,reacts with the fuel to make it noncombustible,chills the object by converting a liquid stream to gas at room temperature (like co2)but works at concentrations as low as 5% so you dont asphixiate yourself in a small cabin.Also implicated in destroying the ozone layer so that no new halon is being produced...its all supposely recycled in new fire exstinguishers.Great stuff really!!!..kpc

I'd like a Halon extinguisher, but like others here, Haven't gotten around to it yet and I'm not sure on the mounting. A fire extinguisher in the cockpit is totally useless... until you have an inflight fire. Then it's the best addition to the plane you ever made!

Halonbar2-l.gif

bar2.gifbar2-r.gifclear.gif

60.00%

ABC dry chemical because anything is better than nothing

bar3-l.gifbar3.gifbar3-r.gifclear.gif

20.00%

None ,because my bladder would do the job

bar4-l.gifbar4.gifbar4-r.gifclear.gif

8.00%

None required because my Emergency check list doesn't mention using it

bar5-l.gifbar5.gifbar5-r.gifclear.gif

12.00%

Voters: 25. You have already voted on this poll

This his run its course on another forum and here are the results from a diverse group of pilots and owners, The Purple Board for Pilots.

The FAA recently updated their guidance on fire extinguishers in the cockpit. It addresses the newer halon subsititutes since Halon 1211 & 1301 are no longer produced - see http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC%2020-42D.pdf Only one of the Halon type (1211, 1301 or the newer formulations) belongs in the cockpit.

Mooney provided a kit for installing a fire extinguisher in the cockpit below the rear seat - at least starting with the K model and maybe earlier. The kit though is unnecessary and a drawing is provided in the IPC.

There is no greater emergency than being on fire at altitude. That said though, the more common and realistic use of a fire extinguisher IMO will be after an off airport landing.

• 9 months later...

Quote: DaV8or

I'd like a Halon extinguisher, but like others here, Haven't gotten around to it yet and I'm not sure on the mounting. A fire extinguisher in the cockpit is totally useless... until you have an inflight fire. Then it's the best addition to the plane you ever made!

Here in SA, you have to have a fire extinguisher in the airplane and it has to be Halon - by law. We could find no other place in my F to mount it but the rear wall of the luggage bay, so it's rather useless as it can only be reached by the rear pax.

LOOD,

My K has a pocket on the pillar between the front and back windows on the pilot side that has a pocket on it.  The very small halon extinguisher fits in the pocket.  You may be able to fashion something like that.

I would love to have a small halon in the pilot compartment for potential electrical fires.  At one time you could buy small, light weight, disposable, ones for a fair price.  And, I kept one at hand.  Now you can not get anything for less than $150 and the smallest are bulky and heavy. So, I fly around with a dry chemical next to the baggage door to treat external fires only.  I hate the idea of it accidently discharging in the airplane and would gladly replace it with a mid size halon if the prices were anything like reasonable.

Steve65E-NC