Riddle me this

A&P replaced mine with correct rubber as supplied by Mooney (not cheap) some time ago.  It is multi riveted in place.  Yes larger than metal folding exterior door to “seal” entire opening as stated.  That is pretty sobering what occurred.  Definitely needs inspecting.  I look at my door in pre-flight and confirm rubber is there.  I was doing it more to ensure no debris entered.  This gives a whole new and more important reason for inspection of ram air door and seal.

On 7/21/2018 at 3:20 PM, chrixxer said:

When the mechanic went to remove the fuel servo this morning (the rebuilt replacement finally arrived yesterday; ordered this past Sunday from Aircraft Spruce, but it's not an "in stock" part, had to be shipped from the factory), he found this ~4x1" piece of rubber inside the throttle body. (The penny is for size reference.) Any idea where it came from? Assuming this was the cause of, or at least significantly contributed to, my sudden complete loss of power a couple of weeks ago. 1969 M20F, IO-360-A1A.

55389621037__AA8FA88D-CD8F-4CD5-A67B-D436020916D5.jpeg

My rubber is riveted.  I see no holes here.  What is still behind on ram air door?

On 7/25/2018 at 11:23 AM, N201MKTurbo said:

It has been a while sense I worked on one of those, but it looks like yours is missing the bottom part of the rubber. It looks torn along the bottom edge.

I think the rubber is supposed to extend below the plate and slides in a slot in the main part of the cowl. This closes the gap below the door. The part missing on yours is the part that came off on Chrixxer's

Exactly why I replaced it.  Not sure how long it's been that way.

On 7/25/2018 at 11:42 AM, HRM said:

I'm shocked! I have always assumed that the A&P corps was above reproach and of stalwart honesty and work ethic.

<< cue crackle of lightning and distant rumble of thunder >>

Not sure that maintainers are entirely to blame.  There are always owners looking for a low budget annual, and there are always people willing to oblige.

My mother always told me “there’s a lid for every pot”

Clarence

On 7/25/2018 at 11:23 AM, N201MKTurbo said:

It has been a while sense I worked on one of those, but it looks like yours is missing the bottom part of the rubber. It looks torn along the bottom edge.

I think the rubber is supposed to extend below the plate and slides in a slot in the main part of the cowl. This closes the gap below the door. The part missing on yours is the part that came off on Chrixxer's

Are you sure on that?  This photo shows door open/laying flat.  Hinges on the bottom in the photo.  Right?

49 minutes ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

Are you sure on that?  This photo shows door open/laying flat.  Hinges on the bottom in the photo.  Right?

There is not a hinge. The door is screwed to a rod that it pivots on. The cable connects to an arm on the rod.

• Like 1