I swear I'm cursed.

4fabb49a56b4144ee53b110e64ecabc1.jpgAt least this one went better than the last time. (Emergency landing at Pt. Mugu NAS.) (Lost power at 3500' over the mountains east of the NAS; switched tanks, pump on, nada, pulled mixture back to ~50% and got partial power back, enough that we were able to slip down to drop onto 27 (even avoiding the arrestor gear) (didn't make any power setting changes until the field was well and truly made). Safe landing, plane should be reusable if we can get it off the military installation. Running very rough. A&P last checked everything out ~10 hours ago (oil change and full power static test); happened to have a 1000 hour CFII sitting right seat. 40 gallons on board, 7 quarts oil. No idea what went wrong, my passenger thinks we lost a cylinder or had a stuck valve? Had done a full runup moments before (we departed Camarillo after dropping off a rescue dog and having lunch at Waypoint). Purring like a sewing machine one minute and the next: No power. No damage, no injuries... As emergencies go, good outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 3

Take a look at my post from a month or two ago- this sounds like an issue I had with my FI system where the impeller was trashed and there was crud in the diverter, and fuel in the upper deck.  A stuck valve would likely be only a loss of partial (a lot of) power.  Did you run high boost or low boost to restore partial power?  

If it ends up being the FI system, the guys at aircraftcarbs.com did a great job rebuilding my system.  

Edited by 81X
  • Like 1

Glad you got it on the ground okay and I hope it doesn't turn into an ordeal getting it sorted out and back into civilian territory.    Sounds like it could be the fuel system or something mechanical.   Either way I hope it's easy to diagnose and get it back airborne.   Keep us up to date on the process, both with the diagnosis as well as the process with the military.

• Like 1

Congrats on getting to an airport this time, chrixxer!
Much better than the city streets, trees and buildings.
Good luck with all the next steps...
Post some JPI data if / when able...
Best regards,
-a-

The engine monitor is at the avionics shop...

• Sad 1

In the 18 Years I’ve been flying neither myself nor any of my pilot friends have had an engine out emergency. You are indeed cursed. Hope you can get your aircraft off the Navy base in one unadulterated piece. Glad you’re not writing from the brig.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, steingar said:

In the 18 Years I’ve been flying neither myself nor any of my pilot friends other than you, have had an engine out emergency. You are indeed cursed. Hope you can get your aircraft off the Navy base in one unadulterated piece. Glad you’re not writing from the brig.

fixed it for you.

• Like 5

Good job on passing the test (again).   Maybe as simple as mechanical fuel pump.  Since electrical kind of fixed things.  

Electrical pump had no effect. Wasn't until I did a Hail Mary and pulled mixture that engine came back.

Current thinking is "servo" but until an A&P comes up with something conclusive, all just conjecture.

But at least it'll be an A&P, and not the NTSB.

And whatever doubts / second guessing I had re 9/22, that time I'm absolutely positive I did everything right (and I have a CFII/ATC witness for every leg of flying we did today...).

Take a look at my post from a month or two ago- this sounds like an issue I had with my FI system where the impeller was trashed and there was crud in the diverter, and fuel in the upper deck.  A stuck valve would likely be only a loss of partial (a lot of) power.  Did you run high boost or low boost to restore partial power?  
If it ends up being the FI system, the guys at aircraftcarbs.com did a great job rebuilding my system.  

Will look for it.

Electric fuel pump had no effect. (Lycoming IO-360-A1A, no "high boost" / "low boost.")

I'll keep aircraftcarbs.com in mind, thanks!

Probably not a valve or a single cylinder.  What was reported to me after a shop forgot to tighten spark plugs and one got spit out was that is a very violent event.   Just quitting and being what sounds like overly rich condition could lead you to the fuel servo. May also be a broken throttle/mixture cable.

Clogged injector. I posted and was hated on not too long ago about pulling mixture if you lose power. What happens is your fuel system is metering for four cylinders and the clogged injector increases flow to the other three resulting in an over rich condition. Start by checking the #3 injector. I had an IA tell me once that “it’s almost always the #3 injector”

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Antares said:

Clogged injector. I posted and was hated on not too long ago about pulling mixture if you lose power. What happens is your fuel system is metering for four cylinders and the clogged injector increases flow to the other three resulting in an over rich condition. Start by checking the #3 injector. I had an IA tell me once that “it’s almost always the #3 injector”

We’ll certainly check for a clogged injector, but this didn’t feel like that. Regarding pulling the mixture - we were already in a power off glide with really crappy options (mountains, PCH, rocky beach, ocean). What possible harm was there in trying everything? 

• Like 1